• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Greetings from the SFBay area

enkidu

Booting up
Skier
Hey pug-skiers!

I'm a newbie here, but not a newbie to the slopes. I started skiing around 7 when my home slope was Yongpyong in Korea (recently had the olympics there along with a few other resorts). When I started skiing there, we had two single person chair lifts; now the entire resort and skiing area there is a couple orders of magnitude bigger and better with more than a dozen high speed lifts and gondola. I took a long hiatus after graduating college, but recently rebooted my skiing in the Tahoe area and more recently Whistler-Blackcomb.

I'm going to be the big 5-0 this year; 5'7" and about (cough! cough!) 170 lbs. I currently ski 170 Head Rally's from a few seasons back. Fitted Fischer boots which were a Godsend (is there a God of skiing?) because I have bowed legs and straight boots absolutely *crush* my arches down. I thought everyone had debilitating foot pain from skiing until I got properly fitting boots.

I'm probably a level 7.x skier; I can handle moguls, steep slopes, wildly varying snow conditions with aplomb if they come at me one at a time. But if you combine any two, my form breaks down. I've figured out that it's fore-aft balance/stance management that needs work. So I'm working on that lately. Pulling your feet back when you speed up is completely new concept to me and one I need to practice and internalize.

Glad to be here! I already learned about powder leashes and the new MIPS helmet technology from reading the posts around here.

enkidu / Dan

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome, Dan.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You'll find a bunch of Bay Area folks on the site. And even more from further inland. Make it a point to reach out and meet up with them on the slopes.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi Enkidu,
Welcome from another South Bay weekend warrior.

Have you visited any of the Tahoe ski areas/resorts yet?

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Welcome! Where in Tahoe do you normally ski? I visit once or twice a year and usually go to squaw/alpine due to the passes. I’d be up for meeting you for a few runs sometime. I’ll be there the week of Jan.14.

TS
enkidu

enkidu

Booting up
Skier
Phil and all: Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Andy: Will do. I don't have any trips in the near future, but probably in Feb.

dbostedo: Very interesting! I always thought there'd be some Norse god of skiing! Ullr forever! Thanks, I've subscribed to those threads!

Paul and Pumba: Haven't been to any Tahoe resorts this year. Got 10 days at Whistler though, so a great start to the season. I usually go to Northstar or Heavenly because I have the epic pass and the SO gets cranky at Kirkwood. I love Northstar's early riser 1 hour private lesson and always try to get one when I go there.

Bad Bob: Well, compared to Tahoe, the skiing is definitely "less" but hey, it's skiing. The Yongpyong ski resort (also known as Dragon Valley) is one of the oldest in Korea, I think I start skiing there on their second or third year of operation. When we started there were two runs and two single chair lifts: "Yellow line" a beginner's green and "Red line" a black (actually more of a blue-black) slope. A couple years later they added a two person lift ("Pink") between them with a blue run. You can still see the original two lines in their lift diagram https://www.yongpyong.co.kr/eng/skiNboard/slopeMap.do , but I think they're now high speed quads :). In the intervening decades, they've added three new peaks, Silver, Gold and Rainbow in addition to the original Red and it is now a pretty big resort. Definitely comparable to Northstar in terms of lodging and facilities if not number of runs and terrain.

When we started going there it was a slogging 5-6 hour drive with a lot of twisty parts to get across the mountains with a the last few km on dirt. Now they have a 10km tunnel drilled through the biggest of the mountains and it's a smooth 2.5 hour drive from Seoul on multi-lane blacktop end to end. My parents still ski there every season, and my dad gets around 30+ days on slope at the age of 80+ so I definitely know from whom I got my ski genes :). A season pass for lifts and for bus rides is crazy cheap for them because of the super-senior discounts.

Sponsor

Staff online