• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Greetings from the highest county seat east of the Rockies

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
That's Newland, North Carolina, formerly known as The Old Fields of Toe.
I live close to Sugar Mountain and this year started helping at Appalachian Ski Mountain as a mountain host. Yesterday on the lift at Sugar I met a woman from Russia and a pro Italian skier who grew up skiing with Sophia Goggia, one of my World Cup heroes! (Now I can count her as a friend of a friend.) Also demoed new Volkls (Deacon 80 and the NEW Kendo) and the Atomic Redster widebody skis. They were fabulous, side-edged at three degrees.
I recognize lots of skiing passion here, so I feel among friends already. This is year 45. Today will be day 30 this season. I look forward to learning and meeting new friends here and on the slopes.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Welcome @Dr. Mark , there are a number of us North Cackalackians here. If you want a little change of pace sometime come on down to Wolf and we'll have some fun together. I've a standing offer to Pugsters who come by.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
The NC contingent grows! Welcome @Dr. Mark

We are on the Sugar Ski team 1st time this year. Will look for you on the Mtn - next time we're up will be for the Xmas camp. Eyeing the weather dubiously, these mid 50's and sunny interspersed with 40's rain need to chill out, literally.

TS
Dr. Mark

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
The NC contingent grows! Welcome @Dr. Mark

We are on the Sugar Ski team 1st time this year. Will look for you on the Mtn - next time we're up will be for the Xmas camp. Eyeing the weather dubiously, these mid 50's and sunny interspersed with 40's rain need to chill out, literally.
After yesterday's high temps and rain last night and this morning, today will be a rebuilding day I think, but later this week looks promising. I'll be there.

Last edited:
TS
Dr. Mark

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
TS
Dr. Mark

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
And Deadwood is the county seat at 4531' feet. Which I think beats Newland. Maybe people in NC think the Black Hills are part of the Rockies.
Deadwood is higher. I stand corrected. How about east of the Mississippi? East of Tennessee? Yes, we think if you're that close to Wyoming, those must be the Rockies!

Last edited:

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome @Dr. Mark! Former NC skier here, though I live in SoCal now. I grew up skiing at Beech (Wintergreen sometimes too), taught at Beech for a hot minute, and more recently mostly skied at Cataloochee.

I once had to go to Newland to pay a traffic ticket (or maybe it got dismissed?) Either way, I’ve definitely been to the Newland courthouse!

Enjoy the southern Appalachians, they’re one my of favorite places in the world. :)

That's Newland, North Carolina, formerly known as The Old Fields of Toe.
I live close to Sugar Mountain and this year started helping at Appalachian Ski Mountain as a mountain host. Yesterday on the lift at Sugar I met a woman from Russia and a pro Italian skier who grew up skiing with Sophia Goggia, one of my World Cup heroes! (Now I can count her as a friend of a friend.) Also demoed new Volkls (Deacon 80 and the NEW Kendo) and the Atomic Redster widebody skis. They were fabulous, side-edged at three degrees.
I recognize lots of skiing passion here, so I feel among friends already. This is year 45. Today will be day 30 this season. I look forward to learning and meeting new friends here and on the slopes.

TS
Dr. Mark

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
Welcome @Dr. Mark! Former NC skier here, though I live in SoCal now. I grew up skiing at Beech (Wintergreen sometimes too), taught at Beech for a hot minute, and more recently mostly skied at Cataloochee.

I once had to go to Newland to pay a traffic ticket (or maybe it got dismissed?) Either way, I’ve definitely been to the Newland courthouse!

Enjoy the southern Appalachians, they’re one my of favorite places in the world. :)
Thank you, sir! Newland used to be NOTORIOUS as a speedtrap. I do feel lucky to be able to do what I love where I live. I first put on skis at Cataloochee and much later learned that it is a Cherokee word for a view that includes many mountain ranges. Beech used to be on par with Sugar for skiing until a few years ago when Sugar installed its high-speed sixpack and created a new blue-black run called Gunther's Way. It's the best run in NC--reminds lots of skiers of Cupp Run at Snowshoe.

Last edited:

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Beech used to be on par with Sugar for skiing until a few years ago when Sugar installed its high-speed sixpack and created a new blue-black run called Gunther's Way. It's the best run in NC--reminds lots of skiers of Cupp Run at Snowshoe.

Wow! A high speed 6 pack is a game changer at Sugar for sure! I think it used to be that Beech had the only detachable lift in the region. That old Red? lift at Sugar seemed awful slow getting to the top after skiing at Beech.

Carolinacub

Skier
I've got to agree on the game changer with the addition of Gunthers and the high speed 6 pack. I've always liked Beech over Sugar for both the skiing and atmosphere but now it's a whole new ballgame.

TS
Dr. Mark

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
While I was on a lift in Utah, my NC home came up, and an instructor from Austria asked me, "Which is better, Sugar or Beech?" Small Ski World! He had a friend who'd just moved to Johnson City, Tennessee, and wanted to be able to recommend the best place to ski.

Carolinacub

Skier
While I was on a lift in Utah, my NC home came up, and an instructor from Austria asked me, "Which is better, Sugar or Beech?" Small Ski World! He had a friend who'd just moved to Johnson City, Tennessee, and wanted to be able to recommend the best place to ski.
if they are in Johnson City the Wolf is closest.

TS
Dr. Mark

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
Wow! A high speed 6 pack is a game changer at Sugar for sure! I think it used to be that Beech had the only detachable lift in the region. That old Red? lift at Sugar seemed awful slow getting to the top after skiing at Beech.
Old Red (renamed Oma's Meadow a couple of years ago) is still there, still slow. But the old Easy Street chair was replaced with another detachable chair, and the Easy Street run has also been materially improved by removing the bottleneck that caused all the beginners to fall. Much, much better now.

Sponsor

Staff online