• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Great voices

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
One of my favorite youtube vids. Grace Slick does an outstanding live version of "White Rabbit". Another great YouTube vid......Pink doing a live version of " White Rabbit".....just close your eyes and all you see is Grace..+ 1 for Brad Delp......gone way too soon. Kelly Hanson's work with Foreigner is also creepily Lou Gramm- ish...

Ross Biff

Skier
A few phone issues there...not to put words in wooglin's mouth. The Pink reference and on is from me.

Ross Biff

Skier
C'mon - you can't have that and not include Jim Morrison e.g. on "When the music's over" ...
Has to be Bruce Dickinson with the Number Of The Beast intro scream!

Ross Biff

Skier
I'm amazed no one has mentioned EmmyLou Harris.
And...while we're mentioning voices, a shoutout to an underrated but incredibly versatile voice: Paul McCartney.

On a more general note...I think there's something about distinctive and unusual voices. Willy obviously comes to mind. You can never mis-identify him. But even Bob Dylan. While I know he's deteriorated in his dotage, there is something completely compelling about his singing during his better days. There are technically perfect/pure voices, and then there are the ones that are great because of how unique they are.
+1 for Emmy Lou....especially the early days....such purity.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Linda and Judy were really good voices but I'll take the woman who not only can sing a great song but also write one too. Here are a few live performances, no studio tricks.

Here's one that Judy Collins had a big hit with. Introduced by another great female singer with yet another great female voice watching I give you:

I just have to include this one from the same show that includes all three of these incredible vocalists sing a song penned by another distinctive voice:

I used to like JM until I saw a video of her in concert when she replied to a fan aka (paid ticket holder) the fan called out the name of one of her big hits and she jumped on his request by saying "Would you ask Van Gogh to paint Stary Night again" the sad part of it is that the song the fan requested probably would have been in a later set of the show. After seeing that reply to a fan that purchased CD's and concert tickets I just got turned off by her because these are the people that pay her bills. She has no appreciation for the fans.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I used to like JM until I saw a video of her in concert when she replied to a fan aka (paid ticket holder) the fan called out the name of one of her big hits and she jumped on his request by saying "Would you ask Van Gogh to paint Stary Night again" the sad part of it is that the song the fan requested probably would have been in a later set of the show. After seeing that reply to a fan that purchased CD's and concert tickets I just got turned off by her because these are the people that pay her bills. She has no appreciation for the fans.

All the fans pay her bills but they don't write the songs or perform. I always thought it was rude for fans to shout requests to a musician who is trying to perform a show and who might have a particular idea of how they want the concert to flow and the mood they wish to create. A live performance is not a jukebox and artists should not be driven by a fan's wishes. Ask Bob Dylan about that. If he had given over to his fans wishes and the expectations of his peers and remained a Woody Guthrie clone we would never have heard the breakthrough recordings on Bringing It All Back Home. That is an album that literally changed rock music. We wouldn't have Blood On The Tracks. If he had been driven by fan expectations he would have never won the Nobel Prize in Literature. To me shouting out a request especially in an intimate concert is like yelling at the folks in front of you to sit down and stop dancing at a Grateful Dead concert.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
a musician who is trying to perform a show and who might have a particular idea of how they want the concert to flow and the mood they wish to create. A live performance is not a jukebox and artists should not be driven by a fan's wishes.

(Emphasis mine)

Never mind artistic freedom! Keep 'em chained and pandering to our basest expectations! *Lighter* ;)

Yes, there is definitely a social contract with other fans. It doesn't get talked about half enough.

Uncle-A

Skier
All the fans pay her bills but they don't write the songs or perform. I always thought it was rude for fans to shout requests to a musician who is trying to perform a show and who might have a particular idea of how they want the concert to flow and the mood they wish to create. A live performance is not a jukebox and artists should not be driven by a fan's wishes. Ask Bob Dylan about that. If he had given over to his fans wishes and the expectations of his peers and remained a Woody Guthrie clone we would never have heard the breakthrough recordings on Bringing It All Back Home. That is an album that literally changed rock music. We wouldn't have Blood On The Tracks. If he had been driven by fan expectations he would have never won the Nobel Prize in Literature. To me shouting out a request especially in an intimate concert is like yelling at the folks in front of you to sit down and stop dancing at a Grateful Dead concert.
I don't think this has anything to do with Dylan or the GD I look at it as how one human being treated another, regardless of circumstances.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
James Taylor
Diana Ross
Dolly Parton
Mavis Staples
Norah Jones
Stevie Wonder
Al Green
Michael Jackson
Patti Griffin
Michael McDonald
Aretha Franklin
Paul Simon (and Art Garfunkel)
Whitney Houston
Patsy Cline
Tina Turner
Adele
John Fogerty

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Another vote for Robert Plant. His voice used to bug me a bit back in the day - not macho enough. But it sure was loud and effective. Been listening to a lot of Led Zep these days while doing yard work.

I always like Eric Burdon of The Animals fame.

David Johansen is a hoot too:

Uncle-A

Skier
I would like to throw in a name of someone that has great range because a screamer is not necessarily a good singer. Johnny Mathis may not be popular any longer but his voice was wonderful, great range.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Eva Cassidy
Recently "discovered" her - one of those "how have I never heard of her before" moments (especially living in the DC area). Tragic that she died so young, but at least we can enjoy what she left behind.
It's not just the voice, but the artistry (sorry, words fail me). I've been dwelling on this video of a live Blues Alley performance. Every single tune in here could also be a nominee on the "best cover" thread.
Pick one you know & check it out...