• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Great voices

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Mel Blanc
Interesting Mel Blanc/Star Wars story: George Lucas originally envisioned the character of C-3PO as "more of a con man" with an American accent, but changed his mind. Actor Anthony Daniels was initially hired only to physically inhabit the robot's costume. But he later also got the speaking part after his voice performance outshone that of 30 other actors that tested for the role. Mel Blanc helped in that decision. Blanc was one of those considered for the voice over role, but according to Daniels, Blanc told George Lucas that Daniels was better for the part.

How about Best Scream?
Robert Plant.
Pete Townshend.
Faye Wray.
I always thought Jim Morrison was a good screamer.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
the ultimate screamer was Sheb Wooley
his sound track is still being used in countless movies.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Lukas & Willie Nelson covering one of my other favorites

& Eddie

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe not quite measuring up, but in the same genre: Brandi Carlisle.
I'm a huge Brandi Carlisle fan, especially the earlier stuff before she turned more towards country.
We've seen her several times. My favorite show was at the Wang Theater in Boston. [An aside -- I was so glad that popular music was finally being booked in real theaters... you know, a venue that wasn't designed for sporting events!]
At one point, she and the twins put down their instruments, stepped away from the microphones, and went up to the edge of the stage. They sang a capella, un-amplified, to this HUGE room. It was amazing.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
An aside -- I was so glad that popular music was finally being booked in real theaters... you know, a venue that wasn't designed for sporting events

No, the popular music big acts for the current generations are still being held in sports arenas. The oldies but goodies that attracts a diminishing older audience are booked into the theaters.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No, the popular music big acts for the current generations are still being held in sports arenas. The oldies but goodies that attracts a diminishing older audience are booked into the theaters.
Sure, the most popular acts are going in the arenas and stadiums. (Not an age thing -- it's mostly older acts going into Fenway Park, for example.)

But in the midrange, shows used to have to go into odd converted spaces. Traditionlly, there was exactly one theater in Boston that played rock music (The Orpheum), and one purpose-built outdoor arena (Great Woods). Now there is a wide range of theater sizes hosting rock and other popular music. I think the people in charge of "legitimate" theaters hated modern music, or maybe all popular culture, and we had to wait till they retired.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
There are few acts from the 60s and 70s that can still fill an arena - Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, The Who, Billy Joel, Rolling Stones, plus a few others. Many can`t do that anymore so go to the smaller venues. There are at least 4 venues that seat a thousand or so within 20 miles of home that feature rock and pop music acts. Two are former movie theaters, one is a performing arts center that used be mostly classical, but now has lots of popular music acts as well.

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
Just watched an episode of Soundbreaking (a pBS series on recorded music). This one was titled "the Human Instrument" Some very interesting things put out there by record producers and artists regarding recorded vocals

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm amazed no one has mentioned EmmyLou Harris.
And...while we're mentioning voices, a shoutout to an underrated but incredibly versatile voice: Paul McCartney.

On a more general note...I think there's something about distinctive and unusual voices. Willy obviously comes to mind. You can never mis-identify him. But even Bob Dylan. While I know he's deteriorated in his dotage, there is something completely compelling about his singing during his better days. There are technically perfect/pure voices, and then there are the ones that are great because of how unique they are.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a huge Brandi Carlisle fan, especially the earlier stuff before she turned more towards country.

At one point, she and the twins put down their instruments, stepped away from the microphones, and went up to the edge of the stage. They sang a capella, un-amplified, to this HUGE room. It was amazing.

Take me back, Josephine, by any chance?

I'm amazed no one has mentioned EmmyLou Harris.

D'oh! That is a terrible omission. I'm a huge fan of the album she did ages ago with Spyboy. It's on my informal "played often" list.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
On a more general note...I think there's something about distinctive and unusual voices. Willy obviously comes to mind. You can never mis-identify him. But even Bob Dylan. While I know he's deteriorated in his dotage, there is something completely compelling about his singing during his better days. There are technically perfect/pure voices, and then there are the ones that are great because of how unique they are.
True. Tom Petty and Neil Young come to mind. Not great voices but wrote some great music.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Unless I missed it, I can't believe Linda Ronstadt hasn't been mentioned. Probably the most versatile female singer of the last 50 years - rock, pop, standards, Mexican, etc. Got a chance to hear her live twice. Jaw dropping voice.
Yes, I am a big fan of Linda Ronstadt and think she should be high up on any list of vocalist.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Did I miss Judy Collins because I also think she has a pure sound to her voice.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Linda and Judy were really good voices but I'll take the woman who not only can sing a great song but also write one too. Here are a few live performances, no studio tricks.

Here's one that Judy Collins had a big hit with. Introduced by another great female singer with yet another great female voice watching I give you:

I just have to include this one from the same show that includes all three of these incredible vocalists sing a song penned by another distinctive voice:

Last edited: