• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Great Topic started by JF Bealieu

Bendu

Sock Puppet
Pass Pulled

to mean resisting means to me pushing against the snow with my downhill foot. I really think that is the key to controlled skiing.

James

Out There
Instructor

to mean resisting means to me pushing against the snow with my downhill foot. I really think that is the key to controlled skiing.
From that ad, doesn’t sound like that’s what he’s talking about.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well... that's just the thing and that's why he called it "resistance" and not "pushing". I know that even a lot of top racers talk about "pushing as hard as I can" and it may feel like it, but it's a big difference between pushing vs resisting the pressure building up under foot... having the skill to get that pressure to build up (and receiving pressure) instead of creating it "manually" by pushing (or giving pressure, like he likes to call it)...

This is back in 2016-17 and I do like a lot of his metaphors and content produced back then...

Last edited:

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, (1) Beaulieu doesn't use those words, and (2) in every lesson I've ever had in which the subject came up, the advice was emphatically not to push with the outside foot.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, (1) Beaulieu doesn't use those words, and (2) in every lesson I've ever had in which the subject came up, the advice was emphatically not to push with the outside foot.

Exactly with regards to #2. Many here talk about standing or placing their weight on the outside ski and in my instruction I’ve been told to allow the pressure to build naturally on my outside ski.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That was some kind of teaser, right? Did I miss something?

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Great skiing. However, something was lost in the translation for me.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

Yeah, nah.

May be a better idea to spend $10 and watch the vid to get the point. (In fact that will give you a subscription to watch all Projected vids.) Your summary doesn't really capture what JFB is getting at.

Summary of War and Peace: a Russian called Pierre tries to shoot Napoleon but doesn't.

CoPow

Putting on skis
Skier
Before even watching the video, "registering" "resisting" is a defensive move. "Pushing" is an offencive one. You don't actively "push", when you "regist" "resist". Now excuse me while I check the video.

Last edited:

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Before even watching the video, "registering" is a defensive move. "Pushing" is an offencive one. You don't actively "push", when you "regist". Now excuse me while I check the video.
After you check the video, also check the spelling...
:roflmao:

Sorry, couldn't resist ... ;)

:beercheer:

Last edited:

CoPow

Putting on skis
Skier
Damn spell checker!

And after watching the video, it was NOT about pushing and resisting. It seems to be more about not letting the edge angle too high and using the soles of the skis. Total speculation again.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Damn spell checker!

And after watching the video, it was NOT about pushing and resisting. It seems to be more about not letting the edge angle too high and using the soles of the skis. Total speculation again.

Are you watching the promo vid (as posted) or the full 10:13 vid at the PP web site? Because your summary isn't.

James

Out There
Instructor
It seems to be more about not letting the edge angle too high and using the soles of the skis. Total speculation again.
Thanks that’s what was implied in the advertisement but was unclear.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Sometimes, when I'm skiing really fast, and turning really hard carves, I feel a strain in my knee and thigh.

It feels like I'm pushing to hard.......

CoPow

Putting on skis
Skier
Are you watching the promo vid (as posted) or the full 10:13 vid at the PP web site? Because your summary isn't.
Well do you think a person who spells "resisting" "registing" would actually make a point of watching the whole thing before posting? :p

Please do share what this is about.

James

Out There
Instructor
So, this is what playing telephone is like with a digital cable line.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well do you think a person who spells "resisting" "registing" would actually make a point of watching the whole thing before posting? :p

Please do share what's this is about.
:)

I think we owe it to the PP crew not to simply publish their IP. It's $10 for more advanced/expert ski info than you can watch in a month.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My summary:

After the shocking trailer which sounds initially like heresy (working on avoiding big angles???), JF makes a good presentation around resisting the pressure building up under the outside ski, with a long leg: the timing of it, the how of it (receiving pressure), contrasting the long leg at the apex with the short leg as expert skiers are releasing the ski.

JF makes a lot of good points, underlining the differences between skiing in compression and receiving pressure versus giving pressure and between intermediates using too much up and down versus collapsing the outside leg and flex to release.

Looking at the timing of this resistance in relation to the turn tactics, there's a lot of good discussion there and totally worth the price of admittance, especially when you add some ideas to work on these concepts!

abcd

Putting on skis
Skier
JF released a series of 3 videos (roughly, 25-30 minutes each) in 2016 that are priced at $12 per video.
The first one is mostly about balance, but the second one is more related to the OP.
Available here:
https://jfbeaulieu.vhx.tv/

Regarding the trailer in the OP, it's kind of funny when he says "less angle" and then skis with hip close to the ground.