• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Great Guitarists

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
So we've had a thread about Great Voices & I got to listen to a few I may not have otherwise. I thought I would start one dedicated to our favorite guitar players.
I have always been a huge guitar fan as far back as I can remember. George was my favorite Beatle & Carl was my favorite Beach Boy. Even though most of my musical taste is derived from British invasion era, when asked what kind of music I like I will often answer "guitar music". Good guitarists are many & I have great respect for all of them but some just have "IT" whatever "it" is.

Jimmy Page is & always will be my #1. I don't care how sloppy or loud it gets, to my ears he can do no wrong & always amazes me!
Whether he is playing solo acoustic

Adding tracks in the studio

or jamming with the band

Some of my other favorites include...
Jeff Beck
Ritchie Blackmore
Steve Howe
John McLaughlin
Carlos Santana
Derek Trucks
Glen Campbell
Lee Ritenour
Willie Nelson
Johnny Winter
Rory Gallagher
Duane Allman
B.B. King

Some other really great guitarist that I like but don't quite have the "it" that lets me listen to them for hours, days & years on end.
Jimi Hendrix
Al DiMeola
Herb Ellis
Robin Trower
Joe Pass
Alvin Lee
Chet Atkins
Kim Simmonds
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Larry Carlton
George Benson
Eddie Van Halen

Who are your favorites? Maybe I can add to my library!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Joe Satriani
Slash

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Country ... Roy Clark, caught some Youtube vids last year and was amazed.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Eric Clapton
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Frank Zappa
Carlos Santana
Jaco Pastorius(I know he's a bass player but...)
Jerry Garcia
Jimi Hendrix
I'l probably think of more.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@4ster
I'm with you all the way on this one Jim!

I think a lot of male baby boomers equate rock guitarists as the ultimate cool guys/social heroes. Electric guitar was pretty much the dominant sound of the classic rock era. Of course, we know in real life that many guitar gods have all kinds of problems, but this thread is about sonic fantasies and listening pleasure :ogbiggrin:

Chronologically, I think I first connected with rock guitar music with the early Elvis Presley hits. That would be Scotty Moore playing lead on songs like That's All Right, Heartbreak Hotel, Mystery Train, Hound Dog, Jailhouse Rock - good stuff!
I was between about age 5-8 during this time frame and had no clue who was in Elvis' band. But I was exposed to the music and intuitively liked those guitar breaks! Back then my big sister had a Gene Vincent album that I also listened to and it included some great rockabilly guitar. Years later I learned that playing guitar on that album was the legendary Cliff Gallup from the same area in Tidewater Virginia as Gene Vincent.

Then in the late 1960s my oldest brother went to Vietnam in the USMC (and fortunately returned 11 mos later). He left behind his excellent stereo system and eclectic record collection at my parents house. There was all kinds of music in his collection from the sound track to The Magnificent Seven film to Hendrix, Santana and Chuck Berry. Hendrix became my next favorite guitarist. Then I got into Clapton, Duane Allman, Jimmy Page, Billy Gibbons, and pretty much everybody on your list. I was just getting into Stevie Ray Vaughn at the time of his death in 1990 and remember commiserating on the loss with a coworker the day after his helicopter crash. I can appreciate countless others too across the decades, like Eddie Van Halen, Jeff Beck, Keith Richards, Steve Cropper, etc. And many greats from other music genres like Chet Atkins, Roy Clark, Glen Campbell, etc!

Some great guitarists I've seen in person, starting with some on your list:

John McLaughlin
Derek Trucks
Glen Campbell
Willie Nelson
Missed Duane Allman by about a year, but saw young Dickey Betts.
B.B. King
George Benson
Frank Zappa
Neil Young
Steven Stills
Warren Haynes
David Hildago
Bonnie Raitt

I think there is a thread on PugSki about your favorite songs and I forget what I listed, but I'm sure most of mine would feature guitar.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Joe Satriani
Slash
Slash for sure has "IT"
I really like Satriani but there's just something missing that doesn't allow me to put him in my top category. YMMV

Jaco Pastorius(I know he's a bass player but...)
Jaco kept popping up in my head but yeah, he's a bassist.

Chronologically, I think I first connected with rock guitar music with the early Elvis Presley hits. That would be Scotty Moore playing lead on songs like That's All Right, Heartbreak Hotel, Mystery Train, Hound Dog, Jailhouse Rock - good stuff!
Almost put Scotty Moore in there as "That's All Right Mama" struck me at a very young age but I would say he was more of an influence for me.
I had tickets to see SRV & Jeff Beck but I think it turned out to be a powder day & I thought I'll just catch him next time. Sadly, there was no next time.

David Gilmour
Yes, Gilmour belongs! I will need to check out more of the players on your list.

Almost went on my list & I listened to him as a kid but I don't so much now. I guess I should revisit.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
He's not my favorite, but damn he's good.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Richard Thompson should be added.
saw him perform in Portland a couple of years ago.
and has a really good medely of different guitar styles in his "Guiter Heros" well worth watching

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know about great... but I enjoy some more unusual stuff, even though it's kind of pop/gimmicky...

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Eric Johnson. I don't know a lot about guitar playing but the tone and how clean this is blows me away. As one comment said, "I can play that. From the part where he said Thank You."

Sponsor

Staff online