• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Great Guitarists

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
So we've had a thread about Great Voices & I got to listen to a few I may not have otherwise. I thought I would start one dedicated to our favorite guitar players.
I have always been a huge guitar fan as far back as I can remember. George was my favorite Beatle & Carl was my favorite Beach Boy. Even though most of my musical taste is derived from British invasion era, when asked what kind of music I like I will often answer "guitar music". Good guitarists are many & I have great respect for all of them but some just have "IT" whatever "it" is.

Jimmy Page is & always will be my #1. I don't care how sloppy or loud it gets, to my ears he can do no wrong & always amazes me!
Whether he is playing solo acoustic

Adding tracks in the studio

or jamming with the band

Some of my other favorites include...
Jeff Beck
Ritchie Blackmore
Steve Howe
John McLaughlin
Carlos Santana
Derek Trucks
Glen Campbell
Lee Ritenour
Willie Nelson
Johnny Winter
Rory Gallagher
Duane Allman
B.B. King

Some other really great guitarist that I like but don't quite have the "it" that lets me listen to them for hours, days & years on end.
Jimi Hendrix
Al DiMeola
Herb Ellis
Robin Trower
Joe Pass
Alvin Lee
Chet Atkins
Kim Simmonds
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Larry Carlton
George Benson
Eddie Van Halen

Who are your favorites? Maybe I can add to my library!

I'm not an authority on this but do enjoy good music and talented musicians. I've had the opportunity on two occasions to see Vince Gill up close and was amazed at the music coming from his guitar with all five fingers working the strings. Have no idea how he compares to the talented people mentioned - only that I was very impressed.

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
Vince is a terrific guitar player. Listen to him on some of the multi-guitarist jams from Eric Clapton's Crossroads Festivals.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not an authority on this but do enjoy good music and talented musicians. I've had the opportunity on two occasions to see Vince Gill up close and was amazed at the music coming from his guitar with all five fingers working the strings. Have no idea how he compares to the talented people mentioned - only that I was very impressed.
He definitely belongs in this discussion. Fantastic musician from way back. I think he started, or was at least with, Pure Prairie League.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Marty Stuart can play the guitar but he really kills it on mandolin. We saw him and his Fabulous Superlatives last summer when they opened for Steve Miller. Keep in mind Orange Blossom Special was written for fiddle. If you get a chance, it's a MUST SEE show! (Smoking' mandolin starts at about 2:12 on the second video, though the lead up is good too.)

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I considered including Vince in my poats and he is, IMO right on the bubble. Dude has an incredible guitar collection and is a great harmony singer as well.

Couple more pickers I forgot to mention.

Ricky Skaggs

Albert Lee

Here they are together on a song that Albert wrote and Ricky had a big hit with in the 80's.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Vince is a terrific guitar player. Listen to him on some of the multi-guitarist jams from Eric Clapton's Crossroads Festivals.

I am not a big Country fan but that was the first thing I thought of probably cuz it's the only time I ever heard Vince Gill which brought up Albert Lee

& reminded me of Sonny Landreth

In fact many of the guitarists in this thread have played Crossroads Festival. Everyone should check it out, 2007 is my favorite!
I thought Jeff & Tai :hail: stole the show

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Marty Stuart was a prominent commentator in that nice Country Music documentary by Ken Burns on PBS last fall. He knew/played for some real giants: Flatt, Clements, Watson, Cash, etc.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Late to the party here. No has mentioned Craig Chaquico, between his time with Jefferson Starship, or his solo work new age-ish acoustic, to jazz and blues.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Late to the party here. No has mentioned Craig Chaquico, between his time with Jefferson Starship, or his solo work new age-ish acoustic, to jazz and blues.
Loved his playing with Starship. Saw them at Radio City on their first, post JA tour.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve seen his solo band (a bit of an oxymoron there) 4-5 times, from outdoor festivals to jazz club shows. Amazing performer.

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
Billy Strings
Nice pick by @Crank on this one. I discovered Billy a year ago and have seen him live several times. He's making some of the best "guitar faces" going today.
Billy-Strings-Nov2018-6.jpg

Prince tops my all time list. The vid in this thread of "Guitar Gently Weeps" is an all-time performance, next to his Super Bowl halftime show.

I'm not sure how I feel about all of the blues based guitarists listed here. They are all very good. Sure Clapton is God, but there's a lot of range in here. Jonny Lange wasn't mentioned, and could be.

Randy Rhoads, Slash, Scott Ian, and perhaps a few other "metal" guitarists have made the post.
Allow my to submit Mr. George Lynch at the top of my list.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was looking for the link for something but could not find it - there was a magazine article that discussed when Duane Allman and Eric Clapton met and the circumstances of how Duane came to play on the Derek and the Dominoes sessions. The article broke down and isolated the guitar parts and described what they were “doing”. The producer said that the playing was as if they were telepathic: they were weaving guitar parts instantaneously without any apparent communication. At one point Duane was playing notes that were above where the fretboard ended. It was really cool - inspired me to buy the sheet music and study it and now learning to play the bass part. Bass is much easier than guitar...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I was looking for the link for something but could not find it - there was a magazine article that discussed when Duane Allman and Eric Clapton met and the circumstances of how Duane came to play on the Derek and the Dominoes sessions. The article broke down and isolated the guitar parts and described what they were “doing”. The producer said that the playing was as if they were telepathic: they were weaving guitar parts instantaneously without any apparent communication. At one point Duane was playing notes that were above where the fretboard ended. It was really cool - inspired me to buy the sheet music and study it and now learning to play the bass part. Bass is much easier than guitar...
I'd like to play bass on whipping post. Sounds like a fun groove..

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd like to play bass on whipping post. Sounds like a fun groove..
I love Berry Oakley’s bass lines - another one who died too soon. I went through a period of learning (poorly) some early Allman Brothers tunes - Whipping Post, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, Trouble No More. All are great rides.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier

This collection is called the Layla Sessions. They probably jammed to these songs for days and I am assuming that the below selections are only a fraction of those jams. Love those soaring guitar parts at the end of Layla.

Sponsor

Staff online