• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Great Guitarists

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
My Mount Rushmore will always be Page, Clapton, Hendrix and Berry. But here's a shout for Martin Barre of Jethro Tull. Utterly underrated by popular best of rankings, but appreciated by those in the know. Aqualung solo @ 3:30

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Video Unavailable.

It looks like Scott Ian and Tom Morello (on my list)
I’m not sure or the others just looking at the thumbnail
Works fine for me. Huh. It's Scott Ian, Tom Morello, Nuno Bettecourt, Brad Paisley, Ramin Djawadi (composed the theme), and Dan Weiss (one of the show creators).

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
This is a cool one with a few guitarists that haven't been named yet...

Doesn't work for me either but I've seen that before.
There are a few metal guitarists that should probably go on the list.
Scott Ian is one
Then there are pairs of metal guitarists that are better than the sum of their parts like Angus and Malcolm Young, Dave Murray and Adrian Smith.
Edit: Now it's working from my copied post.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Doc Watson. May not be your taste in music, but an incredible musician. Not only is he amazingly fast and clean (most players would be happy to simply hit the notes), but he plays with style and a masterful sense of articulation -- accenting, damping, bending, dropping, while keeping the swing going.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Works fine for me. Huh. It's Scott Ian, Tom Morello, Nuno Bettecourt, Brad Paisley, Ramin Djawadi (composed the theme), and Dan Weiss (one of the show creators).
Maybe this should be under “issues”. I copied the link and watched it but couldn’t get it to play in this thread.
Tom Morello is on my list and I saw Anthrax (Scott Ian) in concert many times in the 80s and 90s.

Reactions: Ogg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Maybe this should be under “issues”. I copied the link and watched it but couldn’t get it to play in this thread.
Tom Morello is on my list and I saw Anthrax (Scott Ian) in concert many times in the 80s and 90s.
I got it to play once now it won't play. I think it's a Youtube/copyright issue.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lurrie Bell

Dickey Betts

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This could take me a while...

Billy Strings - great blue grasser who also does amazing space grass and acoustic, grassy rock covers.

Tommy Emanual, mentioned earlier is the most amazing technical acoustic guitarist ever! Saw him at BB King's in NYC an he asked how many in the crowd were guitar players; everyone raised their hands save for Robin and a few other spouses that were dragged along. After one song he asked us if we wanted to see, "how I did that" and proceeded to give us a brief guitar lesson.

Jerry Garcia, a huge influence on my playing and a player who also introduced me to old-timey and Americana music.

Django Reinhard who played with a couple of paralyzed fingers on his fretting hand and was a huge influence on above mentioned Jerry Garcia

tony Rice

Danny Gatton

Bill Kirchen, Commander Cody guitarist and master of the telecaster.

Duane, Dickey, Warren, Derek!!!!

Doc Watson

Eric Clapton was another huge influence on my personal guitar style.

Rob Butler, a plugged in acoustic player from down under.

I like Jessie Cook a self described nuevo flaminco player.

Robbie Krieger, the under rated, understated guitarist from the Door's who penned Light My Fire.

Bradley Nowell of Sublime who died way too young and was also a great song writer and singer.

The guy from Umphry's McGee is an incredible technical player I just don't like any of their songs.

Trey Anistasio from Phish another great, jamming player with meh songs.

Mark Knopfler

SRV

Jimmy Page

Jeff Beck - guy has monster size hands and also does more with his right hand than any guitarist I have ever seen: whammy bar, volume swells, tapping, etc.

I could go on.

I am partial to melodic player over technical ones. I never got into John M. or Satch or Yingwee or... just not playing I like listening to, that simple.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Crank I was going to mention Trey Anastasio. I used to be a big Phish fan but lost the love about when Hoist came out. I agree, great player but the songs all start to sound the same.

Sponsor

Staff online