• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gravel tires... Anyone try Terrene Elwood & IRC Boken

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
since I'm still off the bike I am planning on a second set of wheels/tires for rides here that are 80% gravel. Our gravel roads are grade 2, hardpacked dirt, typically sprayed with mag-chloride. some loose stone in corners, some washboard some sand but nothing deep or sharp. Lots of Climbing. Almost everyone here rides a 35-38 tire as there's no benefit to wider. My friend who rides the DK (finished 3rd in her age group last year) and other long distance rides really likes the Donnelly MSO 36 or GravelKing SK 35 but values those for durability on races. I'n not ruling those out but in looking into these newer brands and models, they really seem like great options. The Elwood is designed for just our type of roads.

Elwood
https://terrenetires.com/pages/elwood

Boken
https://ircbike.com/products/boken

others on "the list"
MSO
Gravelking SK
Maxxis Rambler
WTB Riddler

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Your roads sound like a dream compared to mine.. if they really are as hard pack and devoid of serious gravel chunks then you are definitely on the right track with file tread type tires. My experience with gravel comes with my daily commute, right out of my door I have 2 miles on some marble sized chunky and wash boarded gravel coming off my hill, I drop about 400' vertical in those two miles. It's down right scary right now with the marble sized gravel on top of hard pack dirt right now. However, earlier in the year the road was mostly as your describe yours, hard pack dirt and only a little bit of loose in the corners.

I don't have any direct personal input on any of those tires.. but I have used two sets of Donnelly tires similar to the MSOs.I currently have the Strada USH 32's on my bike and used to have the X'plor USH 35s for my commute. If you are on smooth gravel as you are describing the Strada USH would be fantastic, they are fast and feel good tubeless, If my bike would accept them I would have gone with the 40mm version for extra confidence down this hill. The X'plor USH was pretty meh for me, it only came in a clincher and they feel less confidant than the Strada USH 32s I now use. I expect the MSO 40mm will perform quite well with the small knobs to grip your hard pack and some loose stuff but won't be as fast as the Strada USH or X'plor USH if that's what you value.

My local shop has been stocking Teravail Cannonball 38's with the durability casing that the local adventure riders have really liked so far this year. these are folks riding the Denali highway, the Denali park road, and various other gravel climbs that have similar to worse composition to what you are describing your roads as. They have a nice file type tread in the center and some pretty beefy and long lugs on the outside for cornering in loose. These were going to be my next set of tires, but I got a good deal on the Strada USH instead. The Cannonball tread is very similar to the Boken tires you linked but perhaps a touch more aggressive.

My dad's CX bike came with the 38mm WTB Riddlers, they are nice on the short "parking lot" rides I've done through his wooded yard. Feel like they roll fast and feel quite supple. I was riding over dirt and off cambers roots with confidence. Again as you probably noticed, very similar tread to your other choices.

If I was in your situation.. and my bike fit 40mm tires, I would be using the 40mm Strada USH despite the seemingly lack of tread because the 32's have been working very well for me in rougher conditions but still roll fast.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I went with the new Bontrager GR1's. My LBS really likes these a lot. its worth a try. they are doing some other work on the bike so I am having them mount them up. if the 40's fit (and these tires run true to width on wider rims) I'll go with hose, otherwise, I'll run the 35's.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
since I'm still off the bike I am planning on a second set of wheels/tires for rides here that are 80% gravel. Our gravel roads are grade 2, hardpacked dirt, typically sprayed with mag-chloride. some loose stone in corners, some washboard some sand but nothing deep or sharp. Lots of Climbing. Almost everyone here rides a 35-38 tire as there's no benefit to wider. My friend who rides the DK (finished 3rd in her age group last year) and other long distance rides really likes the Donnelly MSO 36 or GravelKing SK 35 but values those for durability on races. I'n not ruling those out but in looking into these newer brands and models, they really seem like great options. The Elwood is designed for just our type of roads.

Elwood
https://terrenetires.com/pages/elwood

Boken
https://ircbike.com/products/boken

others on "the list"
MSO
Gravelking SK
Maxxis Rambler
WTB Riddler

I had both the Maxxis Ravager and the Riddler. The Ravager is a more aggressive tire which I used in MTB singletrack trails and it was awesome for that but too burly for any road riding. The WTB Riddler is really an awesome all around tire that can handle almost anything with competence but its not spectacular at anything. I now have the Gravelking TLC in 700x38c and it is the best of the three tires for road and gravel roads. It can handle some singletrack but obviously cant corner very well if the surface is loose or has any depth compared to the other two tires. So it really depends on the terrain you will use your gravel bike on the most.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@Ken_R

"Our gravel roads are grade 2, hardpacked dirt, typically sprayed with mag-chloride. some loose stone in corners, some washboard some sand but nothing deep or sharp. Lots of Climbing."

thanks, see post #3. going to give these a try but my fallback is the 35 or 38 GKSK. (fwiw, all GK's regardless of SK or file tread are TLR from 32 on up.)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
@Ken_R

"Our gravel roads are grade 2, hardpacked dirt, typically sprayed with mag-chloride. some loose stone in corners, some washboard some sand but nothing deep or sharp. Lots of Climbing."

thanks, see post #3. going to give these a try but my fallback is the 35 or 38 GKSK. (fwiw, all GK's regardless of SK or file tread are TLR from 32 on up.)

The GR1 look like an awesome tire akin to the Riddlers but maybe roll even better. They kinda remind me of the Kenda Small Block 8 but with smaller knobs obviously.