• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gravel: shift lever bang

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Rode just barely over 30mi of some pretty heavily rooted path yesterday and now I have imprints of the underside of the shift levers on my middle fingers of both hands.

I taped them up today but OW! Rubberized gloves and a suspension fork are on the horizon. Not quite ready to switch to flat bars yet.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
why would you ride roots path on a gravel bike? its funny how gravel is evovling most people would be better of on a rigid 29 with 2.0 tires and flat bar or alt bars than what our gravel bike are...

Reactions: Ron
TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Anyone have any downhome remedies, then?

The problem can be thought of as a propensity of the hands to slide forward as the handlebar is bouncing away from them.

I immediately put a loop of hockey tape around the hoods; now I'm wondering if I should actually abduct the hoods so that sliding forwards hits the meaty part of the hands before the fingers get damaged?

(Yes, I know I should just go ride a Niner MCR or something, but work with me here).

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
thats a tough one. you could ride with your hands on top of the bars if you think you could ride the section without brakes or shifting of course.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
or find a different route?

To this brain, that's roughly analogous to finding a different ski resort when your groomer zoomer fave gets pow and slush bumps instead.

You know I'm going there again, damn the OEM appendages.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Followup- incremental changes: Levers were abducted outwards ~15 degrees, lifted 4 mm on the bars. Bar was rotated up towards the rider.

Between that and the hockey tape around the hoods, the bike honestly looks horrid. Like a newb roadie's bike doing a cow impression. Cow impression? For values of cow including "Longhorn Picasso".

But I think I feel less forward slide. I'm not ready to do that ride again, at least not without chunky gloves, but I feel something akin to progress.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Update: I am not allowed to own aero-routing brake levers anymore.

The sweat not only ate the shifters but managed to get 4" into the brake housing and eat that.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
why would you ride roots path on a gravel bike? its funny how gravel is evovling most people would be better of on a rigid 29 with 2.0 tires and flat bar or alt bars than what our gravel bike are...

I was riding my kid's xs giant cross bike on a trail at dusk and went over the bars. Won't do that again.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
UPDATE:

First effort - abducted levers - bad idea. Hand cramp.

Second effort - levers with taller towers, mounted straight on - onto something here.

Third effort - levers with taller towers, mounted straight on, wider handlebar with flatter tops - oh, much nicer.

Fourth effort - Dirt drops - TBD.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Anyone have any downhome remedies, then?

The problem can be thought of as a propensity of the hands to slide forward as the handlebar is bouncing away from them.

I immediately put a loop of hockey tape around the hoods; now I'm wondering if I should actually abduct the hoods so that sliding forwards hits the meaty part of the hands before the fingers get damaged?

(Yes, I know I should just go ride a Niner MCR or something, but work with me here).

Yes, dump the damn brifters and run indexed bar end shifters (or downtube).
Note; I dislike brifters :doh:

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Dislike duly noted. FWIW both Raleighs are set up with aero levers - the singlespeed one also has cross levers.

What I completely didn't expect was to find a strong dislike for downwards ramp on the handlebars, especially since most 'gravel' bars on market have a fair bit. I never was a randonee bar fan before - but that's where I am now.

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
This works so well...

Ritchey Gravel.jpg

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Take that handlebar and get rid of the ramps and I'm with you. Right now the best fit to what I want is the VO Grand Cru Rando bar - 120mm reach and flat tops with flat drops.
Notice that the VO Neu rando is exactly what I want to move *away* from - 14 degree ramps with a 75mm reach is what I was getting two weeks of ouchy fingers per ride with.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I just reviewed a Niner bike of GearJunkie. The Shimano GXR group is genius - particularly the touch points.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online