• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Grass Sticks: Cool, Retro, and Highly Functional

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I have crashed at least 3 times this year (including today), where the first thought that went through my head was, "oh no I snapped a pole!" And in every case my Grass Sticks have been totally in tact. Today my poles were far more durable than my shoulder. :(

not again?????? hope ur OK

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Does that mean they would support something like a tip roll or pole flip? Not that I would be trying anything like that at my age.:eek:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have crashed at least 3 times this year (including today), where the first thought that went through my head was, "oh no I snapped a pole!" And in every case my Grass Sticks have been totally in tact. Today my poles were far more durable than my shoulder. :(

Nooooooooo!!!!!!!

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
Come on, tell us what happened. Enquiring minds want to know.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
Separated my shoulder and sprained my wrist. I'll be skiing tomorrow for sure.

Ouch. I separated my shoulder about 17 years ago while rollerblading. It was probably the most painful injury I've ever sustained and it hurt for months.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
I don't mind them visually, but I worry that it will cause damage, like water seeping in? Not an issue?

Bamboo or cane as it is called in some circles, is amazingly resistant to water. Amongst my fly rod collection is a cane rod that has seen more water than a set of ski poleswill likely ever see. I did strip it down completely once, revarnish and rebuild it just because I hated the grip and reel seat. I now have $50 worth of hardware on a $15(1930 pricing) cane rod, :huh:

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Ouch. I separated my shoulder about 17 years ago while rollerblading. It was probably the most painful injury I've ever sustained and it hurt for months.

This has been a somewhat persistent thing for me the last 5 years. This first time was a 1st degree separation. I didn't even realize it happened until the end of the day when I went to lift my skis up onto my shoulder. After a week or so I forgot all about it. The second time it happened was about 5 weeks after I broke my clavicle on the same side. When I went down, I thought I rebroke my collarbone, but it turned out to be a 2nd degree separation. It hurt but I was skiing after 2 days. This most recent crash pretty much aggravated it again. I'm definitely going to take it easy but I don't really see the need to stop skiing.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just bumping this up with a warranty report. I purchased my Grass Sticks in December 2015. I've had 2 repair experiences with Grass Sticks and both have been awesome.

The first time the entire tip and basket assembly just came off. Nothing fun, just popped off. I was able to recover the assembly and contacted the company. As it happened I was going to be in Steamboat the next weekend so they just came to the condo when I was out and about, repaired them at the truck, left them by the door and sent me a note not to use them for 24 hours. No issues with that since.

A couple weekends ago I noticed that my straps were coming unraveled. They used to use hemp for their straps which was great in theory but they've since gone to a polyester as they didn't hold up well. I sent an email to the company on Saturday, had a response on Monday and new straps were in the mailbox last night with instructions on how to replace them. The email even inquired to find out if the baskets were holding up okay as they've beefed those up as well. Technically they are out of the 2 year warranty but there was no hesitation about just getting me new straps for free.

Great product, great company. If I lose these poles for any reason I'll be buying another pair without a second thought.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I love, love, love my rossi carbon poles but I've often thought of getting a pair of these. Maybe I still will ;), Good to know they are an awesome company with a reputable product.

Reactions: Ron

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
I'm one of those guys who loves recycling stuff. I found an old set of bamboo poles at a yard sale this summer and decided I wanted to ski them this year. I cut the rubber that they used as handles off and took a pair of semi modern grips from some broken rental poles we had by our patrol shack and attached them. I wanted to put modern baskets on but the diameter of the pole at the basket end was to big. I'm kind of glad I still have the old rubber baskets though since they are definitely conversation starters on the lift. I've skied them everyday I've been on the mountain this year and their holding up great.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I bought some GrassSticks before Christmas and have been skiing with them since the New Year, and would recommend them as well! My DH really likes the flexibility of them. They kinda of spring back. Ours are also getting some scratches, so its good to know that water penetration isn't going to be an issue at all.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I bought some GrassSticks before Christmas and have been skiing with them since the New Year, and would recommend them as well! My DH really likes the flexibility of them. They kinda of spring back. Ours are also getting some scratches, so its good to know that water penetration isn't going to be an issue at all.

Scars are cool! :ogcool:

No worries on the H20.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I'm not gentle on them as far as scratches etc. No issues. And they were used a couple of times to boost myself out of unconsolidated powder this past December so still very strong.

Sponsor

Staff online