• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Grade 6 Design Project Help

Do you like the mood board and the colours I chose?

• Total voters

Alan Linsley

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello, my name is Emma. I am 11 years old and love to ski in BC, Canada. Right now I am doing a project in design class. We are making a mood board and I am doing mine on the Atomic Vantage 90 CTI.

This is my project: I am pretending to be a graphic designer choosing the colours for next years Vantage 90 CTI. So far I have created the mood board and chosen the two main colours (Pantone 303C and 7689C) which are right above last year's Vantage 90 CTI. If you have a moment to spare I would like your opinion on my board. Please take a look and answer the questions below, or add any comments you might have.
Emma's Mood Board.png

1. Does the mood board explain all the things the skis can do? (Yes/No)
  2. Does the mood board show the main colours well? (Yes/No)
  3. Do you like it? (Yes/No)
  4. Did you learn something about the skis and what they can do? (Yes/No)
  5. If so what? (Short Sentences)
Thank You!

Emma

TS
Alan Linsley

Alan Linsley

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi there.
This is Emma's dad. Thanks in advance to those who respond to this. FYI, the images above were all found via Google. Hopefully that's OK, but if folks feel that this is a violation of the image rights and rules of the forum, we'll take it down.
Thanks again,
Alan

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm clearly not smarter than a sixth grader because this is a bit over my head, but I do like the pictures and the colors.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Hey Emma and Dad.. :) I like the board..it demonstrates many of the qualities and joys of skiing. I would only add something that for me personally conveys a sense of peace that skiing brings. There is excitement and action and speed..but there is also the sense of contentment and calmness that being in the mountains brings. It's an awesome collection of dynamic skiing and I like..but I feel a bit more calm at times and that's important to me. However, perhaps it's more about what YOU think about it, and there is no "wrong" when you express what you feel. Keep up the great work! :D

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Paging @Dave Petersen to the white courtesy phone. Emma, Dave will be great to talk to, he has experience designing ski topsheets!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hi Emma

You are awesome :) And so is dad. The image, as it got uploaded, is a bit small for me to figure much out. It does look very professional and beautiful. I wonder if it is a little crowded?

Pinging @Frankly as well, another PRO in this field (besides @Dave Petersen). I am certainly not a Photo/design PRO.

As for the skis: these particular skis are more focused on general use in different parts of the mountain (free skiing), and not for racing. So, it seems to me that the pictures on the right hand side of the design show what these skis can do more accurately.

In any case, great job!

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Emma,

The mood board is great right now but one tip would be to orientate the photos so that most of the skiers are skiing into the center towards the Atomic skis so that the viewer's eyes head towards them. When you have a skier "skiing off the page" it signals people to look away from your mood board.

Good Luck!

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Hi Emma. This is great. Love the colours. My comments are similar to those above. The ski is not a race ski, so less images of racing. Also I would make the actual ski image a little larger so it's seen. Right now it's lost. And the comment about peace and serenity. Yes. This is an all mountain ski. So maybe more images of that. Maybe even try to find a touring image.

Great work and not something I was doing in grade 6!!

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Hi Emma!

The colors look great. The mood of this mood board is exciting! Racing is exciting, and so is all skiing. I didn't realize these weren't racing skis, though, so I agree with the comments that quiet, beautiful mountain skiing views should be included, and maybe just fewer pictures because it does seem crowded as well as fast-moving.

Lots of us on this forum are pretty old, and we love pictures of the view from the summit - seeing other snow-covered mountains all around. One of the joys of skiing.

Keep up the good work!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Top right brings peace and serenity to me. I see enough skiers heading center.. can't all be since a few more are turning left than right, no worries. Got women and men represented. Maybe cool to have a little kid in there somewhere or maybe I missed it??

6th Grade??

A-Grade-Universities-in-USA.jpg

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Fixed so that Emma will get grammar guidance along with the graphics advice.

hth

"Orient" is more commonly used in American English; "orientate" is more common in British English. They appear to be Canadian, so .....

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
This is the first lesson in any design project... everybody has an opinion.

Try to work with the decision maker not the committee ;-p

Camel-is-a-horse-with-drop-shadow.jpg

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"Orient" is more commonly used in American English; "orientate" is more common in British English. They appear to be Canadian, so .....

Really? I mean I believe you but "to orientate" sounds so weird, even grating. Well, learned something.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
That's cos it's proppa English innit? Not what you ex colonials speak.

On the Mood Board - I think it's great maybe swop in someone skiing powder for some of the race shots.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello, my name is Emma. I am 11 years old and love to ski in BC, Canada. Right now I am doing a project in design class. We are making a mood board and I am doing mine on the Atomic Vantage 90 CTI.

This is my project: I am pretending to be a graphic designer choosing the colours for next years Vantage 90 CTI. So far I have created the mood board and chosen the two main colours (Pantone 303C and 7689C) which are right above last year's Vantage 90 CTI. If you have a moment to spare I would like your opinion on my board. Please take a look and answer the questions below, or add any comments you might have. View attachment 19081
  1. Does the mood board explain all the things the skis can do? (Yes/No)
  2. Does the mood board show the main colours well? (Yes/No)
  3. Do you like it? (Yes/No)
  4. Did you learn something about the skis and what they can do? (Yes/No)
  5. If so what? (Short Sentences)
Thank You!

Emma

Can't go wrong with black and blue! :)

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know... we are accustomed to the murican way.

So, do they say "explainate" in the U.K.?

orient = orientation = orientate
explain = explanation = explainate?
exclaim = exclamation = exclaimate?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January