• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Grab of the Day

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
In another thread I was asked to define some freestyle vocabulary. One term that immediately came up was "grabs". We have all seen a skier takeoff a jump and grab one of his skis. But most of us are unfamiliar with the numerous variations that exist. Each day (or close to it) I will post a description of a different grab, along with some pictures or videos. Please feel free to ask questions, offer information from your own experiences, or contribute in anyway you see fit.

Safety Grab

A safety grab is a common starting point for many skiers new to freestyle. It is very simple; grab your right ski with your right hand, directly underneath your boot. Or you can grab your left ski with your left hand in the same place. The image below demonstrates a very basic safety grab.

To perform any grab, it is important that you be comfortable carrying speed and catching air. You should be a very balanced skier (no backseat drivers). Grabs can be performed on just about any size feature, but the more time you can give yourself in the air, the easier you will find it is do to this successfully. After you find the right feature, approach it with an appropriate amount of speed. Pop off the takeoff and be patient as you ascend to the apex of your jump. When you feel as though you have reached the highest point of your jump, bring your knees into your chest and reach down with one hand. Be sure to bring your equipment to your hand, just as much as you bring your hand to your equipment. Try to make these movements slow and deliberate. Fast, jerky movements look awkward and ultimately have an effect on your balance.

Now there are many variations to each of the grabs I will be describing. This is where the idea of "style" comes into play. Remember we are talking about "free-style". Grabs can be a way for skiers to express their individual personalities. One variation of a safety grab is called the "high safety". In this grab, the skier grabs the right ski with the right hand, just above the toe piece of his binding. The same can be done with the left hand respectively. Below is an image of a skier performing a high safety grab. Notice how different it looks from the image above. Perfect example of how two skiers can perform a very similar trick but add their own individual style.

Next time I will be discussing the "mute", a real staple in the freeski community.

James

Out There
Instructor
What pole modifications does one do for grabs?
Tight strap? Different grip?

TS
dean_spirito

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
What pole modifications does one do for grabs?
Tight strap? Different grip?

You end up really gripping your pole in the pocket between your thumb and first finger. This will free up your pointer, middle, ring, and pinkie fingers to lock in your grab. OR, you can ditch the poles all together as I'm sure you've seen many park rats do.

RNZ

aka Ski Kiwi
Skier
Thanks for this Dean, it's not only really interesting, but it is really useful for those of us who might have 12 year old sons. It's great to be able to point him to something that explains the progressions and factors to safely and stylishly execute things like grabs and spins. I take the approach that I don't say no to things, but do your research first.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
You end up really gripping your pole in the pocket between your thumb and first finger. This will free up your pointer, middle, ring, and pinkie fingers to lock in your grab. OR, you can ditch the poles all together as I'm sure you've seen many park rats do.

So - if you're doing grabs, then you can either have mittens, or you can have poles, but you probably can't have both?

TS
dean_spirito

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
So - if you're doing grabs, then you can either have mittens, or you can have poles, but you probably can't have both?

You can definitely have both. I almost always ski with poles and mittens. It's really not a hindrance at all. But, the reason why a lot of park skiers don't use poles is because it does make it easier to grab. Also, when you're flying through the air, pointy sticks with grips can become a hazard.

TS
dean_spirito

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Mute Grab

Jonny Moseley really put this one on the map when he introduced the Freestyle Mogul world to the 360 mute in the 1998 Nagano Olympics. Ever since that monumental moment, the mute grab has become a staple of the freeski community. Here is how it is done:

A mute grab involves reaching across your body and grabbing the "outside" edge of your opposite ski. For example, I can reach with my right hand and grab the left edge of my left ski. I can also reach with my left hand and grab the right edge of my right ski. In a true mute, the hand usually locks into the grab just above the toe piece of the binding. Below is an example of a typical mute grab.

Now as mentioned in a previous description of the safety grab, there are many variations that will usually reflect an individual skier's style. In the image above, you can see that I am "tweaking" the grab; I'm pulling on my ski to create a cross. A mute grab can certainly be performed without crossing the skis. In fact, as my knees start to hate me more and more, tweaking this particular grab is something I find myself doing less often. Another common variation is the "high mute". This involves grabbing higher up on the ski, closer to the tip.

If anyone out there has an image of themselves doing a mute grab, please post it so we can see how different skiers perform the same trick. Remember, this is freestyle. In this realm we are allowed to express ourselves by doing these things differently. That's what makes it fun!

JsNeagle

Skiing's easier if you're in the air
Industry Insider
I'll play! Mute grabs over the years:

29268_615049888000_920531_n.jpg

March Mayhem at Loon circa 2009

189160_162135910511385_4908356_n.jpg

Dumont Cup at Sunday River - 2011?

195868_1774530595827_8057465_n.jpg

East Coast Supershoot at Stowe ~2010

10398613_562006377620_4992866_n.jpg

Stowe - 2009

Attachments

• 29268_615049892990_4000539_n.jpg
    29268_615049892990_4000539_n.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 44

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I don't see myself doing any of these grabs any time soon (@dean_spirito knows how challenged I am at getting air ... or at least the landing part), but I love seeing these pictures.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Grabs started after my mobility age. I just feel uncomfortable reaching down for the ski. They are fun to look at and watch though.

TS
dean_spirito

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Grabs started after my mobility age. I just feel uncomfortable reaching down for the ski. They are fun to look at and watch though.

Try to think more about bringing the ski to your hand. This will probably become more clear after I describe the tail grab. Picture a classic back scratcher. When you bend your knees and bring your heals up behind you (like you are kicking yourself in the butt), the tails of your skis are totally within a comfortable reaching distance. Actually, as I'm writing this I just realized that my profile picture on here is a tail grab. Technically it is a blunt because I am grabbing as far back on the tail as I can. But this should give you a better idea of what I'm talking about. This grab really doesn't require a whole lot of reaching or contorting and is usually the first grab that I have my students try.

Believe me Phil, I feel your pain. There are some grabs I just can't do anymore because of my knees. And there are a lot of grabs I could never do because they are just a little above my pay grade. 'But tail grabs are one that always feels natural and effortless.