• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Grab my ankles? Vail lift tix...

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
Wait! There are ski deals to be had when renting from properties owned and managed by Vail Resorts. Perhaps the guy's lodging has the best price on tickets, perhaps not. It pays to shop around. Even when paying full price, it isn't as bad as other options for recreation, like seeing a Tony Award-winning play, playing a highly rated golf course, etc.

BTW, one advantage of the Local pass, at least the one for kids, is having five days to use anywhere. My kids got the Tahoe local deal and used the five days at PCMR.

Have you all seen the price of MTN? The market knows how well the preselling of lift tickets is going for Vail. It should beat expectations based upon what I've experienced at PCMR earlier this year.

Last edited:
TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Before I take the 4-day lift plunge, here's a collateral question. My ski days are Thursday through Sunday, 4 Feb - 7 Feb. ASSUMING it doesn't snow, what are Vail crowds like on a Saturday? Other than the Aspen area, I've skied Summit County, and Steamboat, but should I leave the option open of calling an audible and driving less than an hour to say, A-Basin, or Copper, on Saturday?

My first thought is to enjoy four quality days at Vail (never been -- might as well get a heapin' helpin', and scratch it off the list ((he said to appease the Vailophobes)) -- we have a condo right on the shuttle route so sinking right into kick-back mode won't be too hard -- no parking hassles, ski, eat, repeat. My attitude on a $120/day lift ticket is in for a penny, in for a pound. BUT, I hate lift-lines, and I suppose early Feb is near-on peak season, albeit not a holiday. Should I be worried about Saturday crowds enough to drive to A-basin or Copper, even road-trip down to Aspen or Snowmass?

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think you can only buy the Local pass in person, but then you can renew it online for ever more.
Unless something has changed I'm not sure this is true. I'm almost positive it was the Epic Local we bought two seasons ago, and I did that online.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Before I take the 4-day lift plunge, here's a collateral question. My ski days are Thursday through Sunday, 4 Feb - 7 Feb. ASSUMING it doesn't snow, what are Vail crowds like on a Saturday? Other than the Aspen area, I've skied Summit County, and Steamboat, but should I leave the option open of calling an audible and driving less than an hour to say, A-Basin, or Copper, on Saturday?

My first thought is to enjoy four quality days at Vail (never been -- might as well get a heapin' helpin', and scratch it off the list ((he said to appease the Vailophobes)) -- we have a condo right on the shuttle route so sinking right into kick-back mode won't be too hard -- no parking hassles, ski, eat, repeat. My attitude on a $120/day lift ticket is in for a penny, in for a pound. BUT, I hate lift-lines, and I suppose early Feb is near-on peak season, albeit not a holiday. Should I be worried about Saturday crowds enough to drive to A-basin or Copper, even road-trip down to Aspen or Snowmass?

Vail will be more crowded than Copper, almost certainly. I know there are people here who say they can wiggle around and not have to deal with the Vail crowds so much, but as someone who doesn't ski Vail often, I haven't found those tricks. Copper is much much much closer to Vail than A Basin is. But as for whether it's worth it, it really depends on your hatred of lift lines vs. your desire to get out and ski, not drive.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Unless something has changed I'm not sure this is true. I'm almost positive it was the Epic Local we bought two seasons ago, and I did that online.

Yeah, I think a few years ago, they switched to selling everything online. At least early.

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
Yeah, I think a few years ago, they switched to selling everything online. At least early.

I've had 4 Epic passes including the year they came out with lapses in between and it has always been available online. There were passes prior to Epic that had to be bought in person initially and then could be renewed online.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Vail will be more crowded than Copper, almost certainly. I know there are people here who say they can wiggle around and not have to deal with the Vail crowds so much, but as someone who doesn't ski Vail often, I haven't found those tricks. Copper is much much much closer to Vail than A Basin is. But as for whether it's worth it, it really depends on your hatred of lift lines vs. your desire to get out and ski, not drive.
I disagree. Vail is enormous! During the week, on non holidays, it is no more crowded than Copper. Now, the cost of parking is a whole other issue....

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I disagree. Vail is enormous! During the week, on non holidays, it is no more crowded than Copper. Now, the cost of parking is a whole other issue....

Well, you ski Vail more than I do ;-)

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

True, but he was asking about a Saturday. To the OP, what about Beaver Creek that day? It's usually less crowded because it's a bit farther from the Front Range. Is it included in your tickets?

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
True, but he was asking about a Saturday. To the OP, what about Beaver Creek that day? It's usually less crowded because it's a bit farther from the Front Range. Is it included in your tickets?
Sorry. I didn't see his post. Was only responding to @Monique . :duck:

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier

Beaver Creek is, of course, next door (I used to live two exits away). An excellent choice with a great variety or terrain.

The "European" village concept was fine when built, and still is. The problems are two-fold. The first is parking. Resorts built in the 1960's didn't design underground parking. The second is alleys. There aren't any. So the trucks have to come in very early or very late for deliveries (or everything is just carried in), but the tourists never notice. It is a great village for walking, dining, shopping, etc. Nothing is going to beat Aspen, but Vail's village ain't bad.

Last edited:
TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
That's a good question -- I haven't bought the lift Tix yet so I don't know if it gets me Beaver.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
A great illustration of Vail's strategy, mostly figurative, but in this case
literal. His wallet and pride are now gone. Another satisfied customer.
0106091vail4b.jpg

He got a free lifetime season pass out of that. I think I'd sacrifice being that embarrassed for a lifetime pass. Not like you see his face either.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There used to be something called the Colorado Pass, which had to be purchased the first time in person. THat may have evolved into the epic local. I happened to be in Colorado during the spring sales period once, and spent a long time in the ski shop where they had a table set up, trying to decide whether to buy one on speculation.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Not sure either.

However a few years ago I let an Epic pass expire. Two years later Vail let me downgrade to a Colorado Locals (now Epic Local) pass by phone
from out of state since they had my information on file.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
There used to be something called the Colorado Pass, which had to be purchased the first time in person. THat may have evolved into the epic local.
It did. Actually I think there was a time when you had to show up in person every summer. Not sure because I already lived here, but I remember a friend making a point of a yearly summer visit to Colorado.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
I'd look into the Vail Resorts booking options. Usually that's the only way to get a deal now. We drive to Big Sky every year and always end up booking lodging with the resort due to location at the slopes and deals on tickets.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
On my visits to Vail I've NEVER paid the outrageous $ 25 parking charge. Against my religion. There are a number of small free spots.
Most are across I-70 and most require riding the free Green and Red line town buses.
A few are in walking distance of Lionshead (via a pedestrian bridge over I-70) hth
:thumb:

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I love Vail but hate the parking scheme.
Parking on the frontage road is a pain, and Donovan Park fills up fast.
If you have a full car, the garage just isn't that painful, but when I am solo, paying $25 to park just sticks in my craw.
But that's my problem; if I only had an extra $275,000, I'd join the Vail Mountain Club.
http://thesignatureclubs.com/clubs/vail-mountain-club/membership/

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
yep, at Vail I'm usualy solo or with 1 other. Donovan and Chamonix are the best bets. Others are here and there
along the north frontage road.

Sponsor

Staff online