• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Grab my ankles? Vail lift tix...

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Headed to Vail in early Feb. Are there any angles on lift tickets? Vail is showing $512 for four daze (4 Feb - 7 Feb) and the property management that's renting me my condo is offering them at $471. Should I spring for those or can I do better?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Choose some place other than Vail?

Passholders can provide buddy tickets that I think will be around $80-some. They have to be at the ticket office window with you.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
Is there anything specific you were looking for from Vail? We could probably steer you in the right direction based on what you're looking for

This is part of vails business strategy, sell season passes at cutthroat prices early season, then stop selling them before Christmas along with major discounts.

If you really have your heart set on vail I'd get the epic local next season. I think the cost this year was $579 with unlimited skiing at Breck, keystone and A-Basin, and 10 days at Vail and Beacer Creek.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sadly that's pretty much the deal at Vail Resorts in general. The best bargain with them is to get the season pass early, unavailable now.
Perhaps Copper, Arapahoe Basin.....?

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Whole crew seemed to want to do Vail this year -- first time for all 7 in my group and we've skied most of the other CO destinations other than the Aspen-area. Anyway, our condo in Vail was booked months ago so a shift-fire to a different destination isn't in the cards.

I'm thinking about Snowmass for a late March trip with my kids, but that's a discussion for another day.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Whole crew seemed to want to do Vail this year -- first time for all 7 in my group and we've skied most of the other CO destinations other than the Aspen-area. Anyway, our condo in Vail was booked months ago so a shift-fire to a different destination isn't in the cards.

I'm thinking about Snowmass for a late March trip with my kids, but that's a discussion for another day.
You all should have a good time. I would get the tickets through the housing option for the best price.

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
Headed to Vail in early Feb. Are there any angles on lift tickets? Vail is showing $512 for four daze (4 Feb - 7 Feb) and the property management that's renting me my condo is offering them at $471. Should I spring for those or can I do better?

The $471 is likely your best bet unfortunately.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ya, they really leave you hanging out to dry there.

0106091vail4b.jpg

Elasticity of demand, it's THE popular place for big spenders. Definitely GREAT skiing though so I don't think you'll regret ponying up to ski there at least once while you can.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sadly 4 days at any major resort will be about $120/day. How much would a pass have been before the season started?

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
The pass wars have mostly benefited Michel & I but it's a big commitment prior to any snow flying. Still several areas/regions you can plan around without a big up front commitment but it's hard for those of us that travel.

Vail resorts make Aspen seem cheap by comparison. I absolutely love close in lodging etc... but the few places left that make skiing the priority will get my $ going forward.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
It's a cold, hard fact that the short term vacation skier pays what seems to be an outrageous price. Just try to remember that for that price you get to ski Vail/Bever Creek, and, as long as the snow is good, you will have the best skiing, facilities and scenery. Vail is sure worth more than double the walkup rate of my Blue Mtn. Pa. home. It's about equal to DisneyWorld for a family vacation if that makes you feel better. A trip your family will remember. Going to Aspen in the spring will cost you about the same.
I keep promising myself the next time a Gathering/Reunion goes to Summit Co., I will buy the season ticket, about 550 if I remember correctly, and spend at least 10 days there.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
Going to Aspen in the spring will cost you about the same.

No. While I won't pretend Aspen is cheap, tickets runs about $30 per day cheaper than Vail, and lodging prices for Vail vs Snowmass are very comparable.

It says something when Aspen is the budget choice, huh?

The general consensus from CO folks is that the Aspen complex offers a superior experience. Better terrain, much less in the way of crowds, better nightlife. If the OP isn't liking his Vail options, go to a better mountain instead.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A great illustration of Vail's strategy, mostly figurative, but in this case
literal. His wallet and pride are now gone. Another satisfied customer.
0106091vail4b.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Sadly 4 days at any major resort will be about $120/day. How much would a pass have been before the season started?

Depending on dates, you could get away with the epic local which I think was $400 and something? If it's over Valentine's weekend, then you'd have to pony up for the full epic.

So, yeah, maybe not any better then, either.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok...that's funny. Yup… We have in and outs here.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Does Vail offer more for non skiing spouses than Aspen? Most of the press we see about celebs at Vail isn't photos of people skiing. It's photos of people strutting around town.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does Vail offer more for non skiing spouses than Aspen? Most of the press we see about celebs at Vail isn't photos of people skiing. It's photos of people strutting around town.
Aspen has more of a town, Vail's "town" feels more like Disney's version of what ski village is (or was at one point).

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
Aspen has more of a town, Vail's "town" feels more like Disney's version of what ski village is (or was at one point).

Yes. The "town" of Vail didn't exist before the ski area. Very synthetic. Aspen was founded as a silver mining town in the 1880's. While quite a lot of the town has been resortified (as compared to other mining turned ski towns like Telluride and Crested Butte), it still has a LOT more character than Vail.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm, and I think with the Local Pass, you can't buy it for the first
Depending on dates, you could get away with the epic local which I think was $400 and something? If it's over Valentine's weekend, then you'd have to pony up for the full epic.

So, yeah, maybe not any better then, either.
The full epic (at about $650) can be bought online between end of Aprilish - mid Novemberish. I think you can only buy the Local pass in person, but then you can renew it online for ever more. The local has 10 days at Vail/BC with blackout dates. The regular Epic is unlimited at all Vail resorts and NO blackout dates.

Sponsor