• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

GPS tracking app 2020-2021 which one?

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Which GPS tracking app will you use on your phone in 2020-2021?

My favorite, Trace Snow seems to be down/broken? On my iPhone, the app no longer loads correctly. Leaderboards will not load (there should be Southern Hemisphere stats already). I tried delete and reload... can’t even login now.

SNOCRU seems long gone.

Other suggestions?
Well crap! That was my favorite as well.

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
I use SNOWW. Haven’t had any problems with it. Has fun leaderboards and let’s you setup groups to ski with.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Bummer on Trace . . . used that for years and it remained my favorite, even though the company totally abandoned it (they seem to focus on soccer now).

The best part about it was you could record on phone and then view on browser - so full size.

I was able to change my password and log into site, but couldn't log into app. Maybe they didn't update for iOS 14? It's not available in app store.

Anyway, Ski Tracks has served me pretty well.

Another I've used, but not paid version is Slopes. It seems to have a lot of nice features and displays. Worth having a look at at least.

BTW, if you have Trace data you can download it from the website in GPX files. I just downloaded everything . . . (I hope!)

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
Ski tracks for the last couple years has worked well for me. As to battery life I carry a small battery pack that I can use if I didn't get to the hill with a full charge. Also (off topic drivt very good for hiking/camping.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Bummer on Trace . . . used that for years and it remained my favorite, even though the company totally abandoned it (they seem to focus on soccer now).

The best part about it was you could record on phone and then view on browser - so full size.

I was able to change my password and log into site, but couldn't log into app. Maybe they didn't update for iOS 14? It's not available in app store.

Anyway, Ski Tracks has served me pretty well.

Another I've used, but not paid version is Slopes. It seems to have a lot of nice features and displays. Worth having a look at at least.

BTW, if you have Trace data you can download it from the website in GPX files. I just downloaded everything . . . (I hope!)
You can pull files (,kmz files or gpx files) from SkiTracks and load them into Google Earth, FATMAP, or other apps. That let's you view them on your PC, and in 3D on some sites or programs.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
You can pull files (,kmz files or gpx files) from SkiTracks and load them into Google Earth, FATMAP, or other apps. That let's you view them on your PC, and in 3D on some sites or programs.

Yeah - what was nice about Trace is it was already there on a website - basically they duplicated the app with a website for viewing data. Though I realize since it was started 8 or 9 years ago a lot of people have moved their workout data to platforms like Garmin and Strava.

chopchop

so many skis, so little time
Skier
How well do the Garmins do outside of resorts? I'm planning to spend time doing the trails at a nearby state wildlife management area and will be more interest to know slope and speed there than usual.

I've been using the Fenix 5 - mostly for flatwater kayaking - and I have no complaints. Not a power-user, so I have not tested every function. But it gives you the typical map/GPS info and your bio/health stats. What's missing in my use-case is variable altitude, so I can't comment on that. I will say this unit has a burly housing (and associated weight) and could probably take an impact better than a plastic watch.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Has anyone tried Ski Tracker, SkiPal or Sportler Ski Tracker? They are all rated quite a bit higher than Ski Tracks.

skiwv

Booting up
Skier
I've been using the Fenix 5 - mostly for flatwater kayaking - and I have no complaints. Not a power-user, so I have not tested every function. But it gives you the typical map/GPS info and your bio/health stats. What's missing in my use-case is variable altitude, so I can't comment on that. I will say this unit has a burly housing (and associated weight) and could probably take an impact better than a plastic watch.

I found out that a garmin unit that I already have will sync with an Ant+ HR Monitor and will work from inside of a pack pretty well. It's got the altimeter and everything built in so it gives pretty great real time info and then the .gpx file will sync with Garmin Connect and Strava when I connect it to the PC.

1603409929845.png

Sponsor

Staff online