• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

GPS tracking app 2020-2021 which one?

Wart

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Which GPS tracking app will you use on your phone in 2020-2021?

My favorite, Trace Snow seems to be down/broken? On my iPhone, the app no longer loads correctly. Leaderboards will not load (there should be Southern Hemisphere stats already). I tried delete and reload... can’t even login now.

SNOCRU seems long gone.

Other suggestions?

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll be using my Garmin Forerunner 945 watch and the built in ski app to record and then push to Strava. I dislike having extra things running on my phone as it tends to have pretty bleh battery life.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've used Maprika the past couple years, works well for me and gives you a trail by trail breakdown of the day when done. They overlay your skiing onto a trail map (it's not 100%, but close enough) to see where you spend the most time.

:)

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've used Strava last season on my phone for he simple fact that I use it for cycling and works well for that. It's not great but does hide the lift sections on the segments list. I mainly use it to log time and then have some metrics to parse after the fact. I tried Slopes but was unimpressed by the interface, command and control and the fact that the place I was skiing at wasn't showing up. Ski Tacks looks interesting, I may try that.

skiwv

Booting up
Skier
How well do the Garmins do outside of resorts? I'm planning to spend time doing the trails at a nearby state wildlife management area and will be more interest to know slope and speed there than usual.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A lot of the accuracy will depend on your terrain and if there are rock walls that will bounce signal(s) throwing the positioning way off for a period of time. Then how the units deal with that period of weird data.
If your area doesn't have ragged rock walls and you got clear line of sight to the sky, most any device will probably do fine. If it's got canyons, or other opportunities for reflected signals, then you're going to need to be more picky with which devices to test to see what works well for your situation.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Gaia because it records GPX I can transfer to Strava plus I can also see where I was with overlays like slope angle.

freeskier1961

still aspiring
Skier
They do well outside resorts my experience, hiking biking etc. I believe two different methods for GPS

Sugarbushskier

Booting up
Skier
I'll second (or third) SkiTracks! Hasn't failed me in 5+ years or so and love the stat tracking by season.

The map overlay allows me to check how much of an area I've covered by ski day. For the fist couple of years I used the free version, but ultimately sprung for the $0.99 full version LOL. It allows unlimited tracking of days compared to the free version only allowed to keep the 5 most recent.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
on my phone strava will let me have local hill, on my galaxy watch , no alpine... "they dont want people to race each other".... appparantly but agai, I can do it on my phone!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do any of these trackers use less power than another?
I'm usually concerned about draining my battery.

Sugarbushskier

Booting up
Skier
I make sure my phone is pretty fully charged before heading out, but usually after a FULL day I'm still at 50% battery, even if I take a few pics.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I make sure my phone is pretty fully charged before heading out, but usually after a FULL day I'm still at 50% battery, even if I take a few pics.
I guess my new phone is better, but I recall some earlier phones didn't hold a charge very well.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
bring battery pack. there are slim flat models like a thin deck of cards with integrated cable so they don't really poke you more than the phone itself. Or morphie built into a case. I've mentioned it before but it can also help with super cold days and phone shutting down due to temps.

if you search for "credit card battery pack" it'll bring up this smallest form factor results

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One of my favorite things about using a Garmin watch (Fenix 5 in my case) is not using any battery on my phone. The other is having my skiing saved and accessible in Garmin Connect with all my other activities.

How well do the Garmins do outside of resorts? I'm planning to spend time doing the trails at a nearby state wildlife management area and will be more interest to know slope and speed there than usual.
Garmin doesn't really know about the resort. It overlays your GPS track over a Google map that may or may not know about the resort:

Garmin Connect 2020-10-05 13-13-20.png

As for the slope of a run, it's not calculated. These are the values available for each run:

Garmin Connect 2020-10-05 13-24-13.png

I guess you could calculate the slope yourself by using elevation loss over distance, which you could get for any part of a run by zooming in on this graph Garmin provides:

Garmin Connect 2020-10-05 13-18-44.png

What a super fun day lapping Tucker Mountain during the season cut short by COVID a week later!

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200308131443021_COVER (4).jpg

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Turn off Auto Wifi when you get to the hill and turn off LTE data(go to 3G) for better battery life and signal strength.
My older IPhones 5 years ago would be down to maybe 40% by the end of the day but 2 year old 8s is about 70% battery after 8 hours of skiing.

Used SkiTracks for about 6 years and some days it’s great and other days it doesn’t track for an hour even when I’m still skiing the same run. Always update but do have to babysit it a bit to make sure it starts registering runs and sometimes has to be cleared and restarted to work. May reload the app if I can keep my data to see if that helps.