• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Got the new boots, with rental skis - ?

Phaceplanter

Booting up
Skier
Ok, so this is my 3rd year skiing, and have been obsessing about finally getting my first pair of boots. 47 yr old - my father in law of 3 years got me into it. He's on the local ski patrol.

Everything I've read says get the boots first, go to a boot fitter. So I did that. Couldn't do rentals another year.

Went to a local shop that sells a lot of used equipment, some new, the owner was older and seemed to know his stuff. Told them I mainly wanted a good fitting boot, used or new, but wanted to keep it around 250ish max.

Ended up getting a new pair of Nordica NXT N3s. They felt nice and tight, but still comfy. Paid 256 after taxes. I went home and did my research after the fact. I think they're a good pair, but had a hard time finding info on the specific model, then found it. A 2016 model, which made me think I overpaid possibly, but oh well, they fit good I think, and it was in my price range.

A couple days later, I went to the same spot and got seasonal rental skis for $100. I was disappointed, that they didn't have much to offer. They look really old, but they assured me they were still good. Can't remember the brand/model. They're not with me as I'm writing this. Now a day later I'm thinking I would have been better off just using the local ski resort's rentals. The only advantage with the ones I got is the size is 163, and the resorts rentals I've used are either 150 or 166, and they don't have anything in between. I'm about 5'9, 165, so I wanted something closer to around 160.

Anyway I have a little buyer's remorse, and wondering if I should try and get a refund, and use the resort's rental skis until I can comfortably fork over the cash for ones I really want. By the way, I have a pass at the resort with rentals included, so probably threw away 100 bucks, just being in my 3rd year didn't want to use the same resort rental skis again.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, like the Groundhog Phil? ;)

Where are you? If you are not happy with the skis, saving a few bucks isn't going to help. Maybe someone here has some skis they are upgrading gtom that you can get reasonably or maybe we can help you scour your local Craigslist for some ideas.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you keep the seasonal rental you don't have to deal with the rental counter every day, and the skis will behave the same daily. Depends on how important that $100 is to you, but I'd keep the seasonal rental.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Main reason I'd go with seasonal rentals over resort rentals is the time wasted at the beginning and ending of each ski day doing the rental routine over and over..

I'd like to think that a seasonal rental could be/should be a better ski to begin with. I've seen some folks with pretty good seasonal rental skis.. Saw a guy skiing a rented Blizzard Magnum 8.0 yesterday and he was killing it frontside on them..

TS
P

Phaceplanter

Booting up
Skier
If you keep the seasonal rental you don't have to deal with the rental counter every day, and the skis will behave the same daily. Depends on how important that $100 is to you, but I'd keep the seasonal rental.

Main reason I'd go with seasonal rentals over resort rentals is the time wasted at the beginning and ending of each ski day doing the rental routine over and over..

I'd like to think that a seasonal rental could be/should be a better ski to begin with. I've seen some folks with pretty good seasonal rental skis.. Saw a guy skiing a rented Blizzard Magnum 8.0 yesterday and he was killing it frontside on them..

Yes, Phil. No relation to Philpug :) I'm in Northern KY (don't laugh). Local ski resort is about 30 minutes away - Perfect North in Indiana.

Thanks for the input. Those were the reasons in my mind for getting the seasonal rentals - just not having to deal with the resort rentals each time, plus they'd have to fit them to my boots every time, which I just remembered. The shop I went to had all the skis for sale out for viewing, and I thought I'd get something similar to their used ones for sale, but the rentals are in back and I went back with them when they did the binding, and I didn't see much out. They just look like they're 20 years old! I'm sure I'm exaggerating. They could tell I was skeptical and assured me they weren't pretty, but would work well for me.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^It's the condition of the bases that matters.. Chipped up scratched topsheets won't matter. If they filled any and all deep gouges, did a base grind, and full tune on them you should be fine. Can you bring them back periodically for free waxing and tuning? Some seasonal rentals offer that as part of the package.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Online spring ski sales have some VERY good deals on skis

Skis.com comes to mind, but there are lots of good avenues to get a deal on skis, it is all about the timing I think.

I bet your FIL can help with selection for you.

*** I love spending other people’s money***

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
@DanoT I started 6 years ago. Cycling season ended I was depressed inside and went to a local sun and Ski shop and walked out with skis and boots. Roughly $700 and I was set. I went on a ski trip for 2 days before that the year before and was clueless. I still use those boots and skis today. Was I lucky or a good shop got me into right Ski?

If I were @Phil I would go to a good ski shop and see if you can find an entry to intermediate type Ski with integrated bindings so you don’t have to pay more for bindings. I bought blizzard magnum 7.2 with integrated iq binding system. Ski says made for athletic beginner to intermediate which suited me fine. I spent $230 for skis and was set. Two seasons rentals covered that cost and I know how it performs and get used to it. I have purchased a little wider Ski I use as well but still use that one regularly. At this point I doubt you have the technique to really drive an expensive Ski and learning how to Ski is more important that worrying about the right Ski.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would say to you, Don't overthink this. You did the right thing and got some good fitting boots. You got some skis that are the right size, Get on them and go skiing. As a beginner you wont know or be able to tell the difference between x, y , or z. As rental skis they are probably more oriented to your abilities. A few cosmetic chips are nothing. You are going to chip them some more. Get some lessons and have fun.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
@Phil, I was in your shoes -- I mean boots not long ago :D. I am an intermediate and there are much more knowledgeable people here, so I won't recommend skis, but I will share my experience with a couple highlights.
  • You are on the right path. Boots first :)
  • When I moved from rentals, into buying skis that were suggested by this community. OMG. My confidence level short up just on the first run.
  • For now, suck it up, use the rentals. And start looking for stuff online, ebay, craigslist, etc as suggested by @Philpug . And, as he suggested, if you see anything interesting, post here for help. It wont be me, but people who really know. Once you find a good ski on sale, you buy it. A hundred bucks in rentals, whatever, write it off, skip a dinner night out :)
Generally speaking, you want something not taller than you, not super wide, not super stiff. But there are so many variables, better to ask. There are people here who are top brass in the ski industry. And, believe it or not, they will spend some time helping you (and I, and others).

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
To op, every one is different and has different requirements for skis. Even beginners. Assuming you have given the full information about how you ski and what you like and don't in a Ski, the shop has most likely set you up with what you need. Don't worry about looks.

TS
P

Phaceplanter

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for all the replies. I went out with my new boots and rentals for the first time on New Year's Day with my 9 yr old. Went great. Didn't think about my boots much at all while skiing. Actually kept up with my 9 yr old for the first time I think, who likes to fly down the hill despite the constant reminders to remember to turn! Felt much more under control at speed.

The rental skis worked well. I checked out the specs, and from what I've read they are what I need. Don't remember the exact model, but they are Volkls from 2011, 163cm, 75mm waist. I might try to buy some at the end of the season.

James

Out There
Instructor
Does the seasonal rental come with any tunes?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^It's the condition of the bases that matters.. Chipped up scratched topsheets won't matter. If they filled any and all deep gouges, did a base grind, and full tune on them you should be fine. Can you bring them back periodically for free waxing and tuning? Some seasonal rentals offer that as part of the package.

Call the shop you got them from and check and see if they perform routine maintenance on them as part of the rental package, Wax after every 3-4 ski days and edge tuning after a couple weeks or a month (at your level of skiing) will keep them working well. It also benefits the shop to maintain them and protect the value for future rentals and liquidation when they no longer are current enough to rent.

TS
P

Phaceplanter

Booting up
Skier

Call the shop you got them from and check and see if they perform routine maintenance on them as part of the rental package, Wax after every 3-4 ski days and edge tuning after a couple weeks or a month (at your level of skiing) will keep them working well. It also benefits the shop to maintain them and protect the value for future rentals and liquidation when they no longer are current enough to rent.

You know you're in deep when you tune the rentals yourself.

Sorry for the late reply, but the shop told me to bring the skis by anytime any tuning adjustments were needed. It's a low key family owned shop that's been around for years so I felt pretty safe doing business with them.

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Sorry for the late reply, but the shop told me to bring the skis by anytime any tuning adjustments were needed. It's a low key family owned shop that's been around for years so I felt pretty safe doing business with them.

Phil from your original post I believe your working with Ski Train Depot. Myron is great and you should not have any issues. The reason why there are no performance skis for rent seasonally are we don’t get tourist coming in and locals that ski often invest in skis for themselves. Myron will take care of you through the season. He has the best kids ski deal in area maybe the country. I’m there every year for my kids to get skis and boots.

I would recommend looking at sun and ski in kenwood to find a new pair of skis and boots when your ready. They typically have sales starting now on good equipment. They also offer a performance guarantee so if you buy in offseason and have issues within 12 months your good.

Last edited:
TS
P

Phaceplanter

Booting up
Skier
Phil from your original post I believe your working with Ski Train Depot. Myron is great and you should not have any issues. The reason why there are no performance skis for rent seasonally are we don’t get tourist coming in and locals that ski often invest in skis for themselves. Myron will take care of you through the season. He has the best kids ski deal in area maybe the country. I’m there every year for my kids to get skis and boots.

I would recommend looking at sun and ski in kenwood to find a new pair of skis and boots when your ready. They typically have sales starting now on good equipment. They also offer a performance guarantee so if you buy in offseason and have issues within 12 months your good.

I got the new boots from Ski Train Depot already. I'm fortunate my father-in-law has our boys set up with equipment through them already, and I've been with him at Sun and Ski also to get clothing/gear for them. Could not do all that on our own. I will definitely check out Sun and Ski for skis towards the end of season. Thanks.

Sponsor

Staff online