• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Riveted hardware and screwed in Zeppas. Can we talk about 22.5's that aren't while we're at it? Bless their soles.

:golfclap:
Funny you should say that.
I had a customer come in who is an honest to goodness 22.5, coming out of a 5 year old Cochise 105W, which is a 280 shell.
I ended up putting her in the Pro Machine 105 which is a 265 shell. She was super happy!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Old tecnica's with the cheese ball toe dams, Rossi's... and let's DO thank Lange for making a true 21 with an adult lug. Now if they'd just add medial cuff adjustment.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Old tecnica's with the cheese ball toe dams, Rossi's... and let's DO thank Lange for making a true 21 with an adult lug. Now if they'd just add medial cuff adjustment.
Ah yup!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Because boot fitters like us need to work on the zeppa from time to time and screwing it down is a PITA for us. :D

Did you happen to try the Nordica Strider? Its slightly wider than the Pro machine but similar technology otherwise
Just curious.
The Atomic XTD is a really good boot!

Pffft, we do it all the time.

That is how many minutes to heat the boot under the infrared heater for adjustments.

It's that pesky paid time off (or lack thereof) that gets in the way. Plus a kid in school. :rolleyes:

My Promachines are crying in the corner with this warm, dry pattern. :( I'm also in a 22.5-nice to know they're a true 22.5.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Did you happen to try the Nordica Strider? Its slightly wider than the Pro machine but similar technology otherwise
Just curious.
The Atomic XTD is a really good boot!

After taking an intro to backcountry course last year (and falling in love with it), I tried the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD, but I wanted to wait for the 2020 model with Grip Walk since the 2019 has WTR.

I did not try the Nordica Strider this time around (slipped on the K2 Mindbender and the Lange XT Free LV), but since the Strider has a wider last, I expect that would have been an issue. I tried the 2020 Hawx Ultra XTD, did not need any additional width, and loved the range of motion in walk mode. They fit quite like my Promachine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
It's that pesky paid time off (or lack thereof) that gets in the way. Plus a kid in school. :rolleyes:

My Promachines are crying in the corner with this warm, dry pattern. :( I'm also in a 22.5-nice to know they're a true 22.5.

Feeling the same way. Both about the sad boots as we wait for snow and the fact that they are a performance boot in a true 22.5. I got the Promachine 115s last year and they fit like a glove out of the box.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
8 or so hours. Too much for a quick trip.

Pfft. Marcia and I are heading to Reno in December for a quick trip, and we have a little further to go than you...:D. Of course, we had some frequent flyer miles to use, we have zero kids in school, etcetera and so on.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Feeling the same way. Both about the sad boots as we wait for snow and the fact that they are a performance boot in a true 22.5. I got the Promachine 115s last year and they fit like a glove out of the box.
They fit me like a glove, too, which RARELY happens. With thinner socks, too. This NEVER happens. I love the taller cuff, and the smooth flex, and how my heel sits so deeply in the heel pocket. I cannot wait to get them out on snow.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The lateral one is pretty generous compared to most.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The lateral one is pretty generous compared to most.

Yabbut you know, would still like to have it. Sometimes ya still need it.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Update: Oh wow, am I loving these boots! So much more control than I've ever had. I can stand up much taller and stay centered over my skis and just let them run, vs. constantly feeling like I'm searching for the sweet spot. I'm not constantly fiddling with the buckles, too, which I've always done in the past, having to crank them down throughout the day. Even with the forefoot getting a bit looser in the afternoon, it doesn't bother me because the heel and ankle hold and how the cuff fits hold me in place so well. I AM having some of the shin soreness issues, but it's getting better each day. Luckily, I get to ski several days per week so I think once I get used to it, it won't be an issue. I look at it as similar to the first few days on the bike--the butt just gets sore until I'm used to riding again. :eek:

I skied them in 20 inches of powder and leftovers at Targhee and have never felt so confident and fast in powder and chop. I was worried I was experiencing what we now refer to as the "Targhee effect"--the snow there is so good, it makes everything feel good! But nope, I love them at home at Snowbasin on fast groomers, too. Now I have a LOT of work to do to erase some old habits. I seem to prefer boots with taller cuffs and I'm so glad I decided that I needed to make a boot change even after only having my old pair for two seasons.

TS
C

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
Update: Oh wow, am I loving these boots! So much more control than I've ever had. I can stand up much taller and stay centered over my skis and just let them run, vs. constantly feeling like I'm searching for the sweet spot. I'm not constantly fiddling with the buckles, too, which I've always done in the past, having to crank them down throughout the day. Even with the forefoot getting a bit looser in the afternoon, it doesn't bother me because the heel and ankle hold and how the cuff fits hold me in place so well. I AM having some of the shin soreness issues, but it's getting better each day. Luckily, I get to ski several days per week so I think once I get used to it, it won't be an issue. I look at it as similar to the first few days on the bike--the butt just gets sore until I'm used to riding again. :eek:

I skied them in 20 inches of powder and leftovers at Targhee and have never felt so confident and fast in powder and chop. I was worried I was experiencing what we now refer to as the "Targhee effect"--the snow there is so good, it makes everything feel good! But nope, I love them at home at Snowbasin on fast groomers, too. Now I have a LOT of work to do to erase some old habits. I seem to prefer boots with taller cuffs and I'm so glad I decided that I needed to make a boot change even after only having my old pair for two seasons.

Glad you are liking them I love mine except for the shins. I don't have the fortune of skiing in them multiple days a week. When I ski hard for 3+ days my shins are bloody. Two days I am usually okay for.

The shop I bought mine from changed hands. I am going to see if they have someone there with some knowledge that can help me out. I realize I will probably need to pay. The old shop which in the past had a good reputation didn't seem that interested in helping me out last year even though they professed a 12 month fit guarantee. I am willing to invest some money to get these boots to work as it will be cheaper than buying new and except for the shin issue I really like them.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad you are liking them I love mine except for the shins. I don't have the fortune of skiing in them multiple days a week. When I ski hard for 3+ days my shins are bloody. Two days I am usually okay for.

The shop I bought mine from changed hands. I am going to see if they have someone there with some knowledge that can help me out. I realize I will probably need to pay. The old shop which in the past had a good reputation didn't seem that interested in helping me out last year even though they professed a 12 month fit guarantee. I am willing to invest some money to get these boots to work as it will be cheaper than buying new and except for the shin issue I really like them.
This might seem really weird, but I wonder if something like chamois butter would help?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When I ski hard for 3+ days my shins are bloody. Two days I am usually okay for.

Try a Booster strap. Tighten the booster strap around the top of liner instead of outside the hard plastic shell. It should provide a more progressive feel and eliminate the shin bang.
It may also be a technical issue. Have a good instructor take a look at your skiing. Good smooth skiing starts from the feet rather than than the shin.

TS
C

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
Try a Booster strap. Tighten the booster strap around the top of liner instead of outside the hard plastic shell. It should provide a more progressive feel and eliminate the shin bang.
It may also be a technical issue. Have a good instructor take a look at your skiing. Good smooth skiing starts from the feet rather than than the shin.

I already put a Booster strap on the boot and have tried both around the liner and outside the shell. I do think it is slightly better with the the strap inside the shell. The boot fits close to my lower leg and I have plenty of strength to drive the boot. I have custom footbeds in the boots. I haven't done a cuff alignment check so it could potentially be that but I don't believe that is the issue but I am willing to explore it.

Regarding my skiing I have been skiing for 48 years and while I know my skiing isn't perfect I don't believe it is a technical issue. I have skied in lots of boots over the years and since the old Langes (I think they were the X1000) I haven't had an issue like this.

Sponsor

Staff online