• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am still having shin issues with the new boots. I was just in at the shop I bought them from and the fitter recommended the Masterfit eliminator custom tongues. They don't have them in the shop and suggested I go buy them myself. I have a few issues with this:
  • I just bought brand new boots (from that shop) and now I would be jury rigging them to eliminate shin pain and .
  • I don't have a small calf, there isn't a gap in the boots and the boot definitely is not too stiff. I don't know if the tongue eliminators will work.
  • I have no idea how this is going to impact the performance of the boot.
  • I bought Booster straps on my own so I have an extra $40 into the boots if I have to pick up the tongues it is another $30 plus shipping. The shop claims a fit guarantee it seems like they are making a couple of suggestions and telling me to work on it myself.
  • I am headed to Utah next weekend if I come back with bloody shins again am I out of line expecting them to take the boots back and get me into something else.
I have been skiing for 47 years and have never had this problem across probably 10 pairs of boots in my adult years. I worked in a shop for almost 20 years and we would have been a lot more aggressive about addressing the issue.

It is disappointing because the boot basically fits well and I like the way it skis except for the fact that by the end of the day my shins are in rough shape. If I come back with bloody shins I will be pressuring them to get me into something that doesn't shred my shins.

Did you ever get these sorted?
If it is just at the top edge of the cuff, just have the shop grind the edge so it is less sharp and flare the top of the cuff forward with a heat mold.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Congrats. I have to admit that Nordica builds a great boot. Their attention to the details it what really sets them apart for me. Things like screwing the bootboard down into the sole to stabilize it, the power strap/driver that uses a clip in conjunction with the ratchet buckle, probably one of the best, if not the best, OEM cork liners in the business, cuff alignment that has great range and flexibility (lateral and rotational), etc.

I'm really impressed with my GPX 130 and can't wait to get it on snow. I've been a Head Raptor guy for over 10 years, but I may be a convert. I'm looking for the GP 140 now... :)
SO is also looking at getting into the Promachine 130 after poking and prodding and reading up on mine. He's in a Mach 1 130 LV right now and has been very happy with them, but likes to switch up every few seasons and get on the latest technology. He's definitely impressed with the construction of the Promachine. The cork in the heel is one thing I am really excited about after skiing in Zipfits for several seasons. That cork stuff is really nice.

Screwing the bootboard down is actually one of those things I've always wondered why it ISN'T done in all boots. Also, after heating the liners and standing in them for a mere 30 minutes, there was a significant imprint from my malleolus' and heel and achilles which I have not experience with other stock liners. So yes, the cork really does work.

Are you going with the stock liner or the Boot Doc custom liner from your old boots? Will the Boot Doc liners even fit in the new boots?
I am going with the stock liner as it fits so far. I am quite certain I'll probably need to eventually take up some volume in the forefoot BUT since the liner doesn't have much padding up there anyway, maybe not because there's not much to pack out? The BDs don't mesh up with this boot very well. I put them in to see and it didn't feel right. If I do go that route again, it will be with a brand new BD liner.

Another thing about the Promachine? They are LIGHT!

Another boot that was a close contender was the Atomic Hawx Ultra 120 (I tried the 120 for the shell.) I'm so happy that more manufacturers are starting to make truly lower volume non-race boots. I'm sure the increased technology for heat molding plastics has played into that.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
SO is also looking at getting into the Promachine 130 after poking and prodding and reading up on mine. He's in a Mach 1 130 LV right now and has been very happy with them, but likes to switch up every few seasons and get on the latest technology. He's definitely impressed with the construction of the Promachine. The cork in the heel is one thing I am really excited about after skiing in Zipfits for several seasons. That cork stuff is really nice.

Screwing the bootboard down is actually one of those things I've always wondered why it ISN'T done in all boots. Also, after heating the liners and standing in them for a mere 30 minutes, there was a significant imprint from my malleolus' and heel and achilles which I have not experience with other stock liners. So yes, the cork really does work.

The very top end WC boots in the Nordica and Tecnica lines are identical (just different colors). I'm not sure how the Mach 1 relates to the Promachine, but it looks like they could be close to the same boot. @Philpug - what's the story here between the 2 lines since they're both owned by the same parent company?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The very top end WC boots in the Nordica and Tecnica lines are identical (just different colors). I'm not sure how the Mach 1 relates to the Promachine, but it looks like they could be close to the same boot. @Philpug - what's the story here between the 2 lines since they're both owned by the same parent company?
Both companies share their race product along with some junior gear but thats where it pretty much stops. The Mach 1 LV has as much in common with the Promachine 130 as the Bonafide does with the Enforcer 100. As far as the boots. I skied in the Mach 130 LV for a season or two and have also skied in in the Nordica counterparts of the time, one being the Patron Pro. I really like this new Promachine with it's light weight design, if I was to ski in a Nordica at this point, I would be happy to be in this boot. I would also have no problem skiing the Mach 1 LV.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
@AmyPJ - I have the Promachine as well and just got the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD as a hybrid boot. When I got my Promachine I didn’t realize I would be in the market for a hybrid boot too ‍♀️ Love my Promachine and cannot wait to try the Hawx.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
The differences I discern between Mach 1 LV and Promachine are in Forefoot shape and stance. The Promachine has more of it's volume on the lateral forefoot(slightly abducted.) The Mach 1 LV has more of it's forefoot volume on the medial side. The Mach 1 LV also has a higher instep.

These differences lend the Mach 1 to be suited more for a semi rigid higher arched foot and the Promachine better suited to a more flexible arched foot. YMMV.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The differences I discern between Mach 1 LV and Promachine are in Forefoot shape and stance. The Promachine has more of it's volume on the lateral forefoot(slightly abducted.) The Mach 1 LV has more of it's forefoot volume on the medial side. The Mach 1 LV also has a higher instep.

These differences lend the Mach 1 to be suited more for a semi rigid higher arched foot and the Promachine better suited to a more flexible arched foot. YMMV.
If this is true, then I've definitely gone the right direction with these boots. I'll find out in a couple weeks!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If this is true, then I've definitely gone the right direction with these boots. I'll find out in a couple weeks!
Head to Reno and you can find ot this weekend! Plus you'll have access to adjustments!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Head to Reno and you can find ot this weekend! Plus you'll have access to adjustments!
I wish. Wish it was about 3 hours closer!!

One very cool feature on this boot, stamped right on the cuff:
381675B4-A7F7-4CB3-A634-0F3120A8BE1F.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
OFC, strictly speaking it's on the cuff...and since cuffs and clogs are made at different times on different machines...

out of curiosity, have you used your phone and measured it?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
OFC, strictly speaking it's on the cuff...and since cuffs and clogs are made at different times on different machines...

out of curiosity, have you used your phone and measured it?
No, I have not and probably won't. I don't feel that I can get an accurate measurement with my phone. Might be able to get a gauge on it, though.

TS
C

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
Did you ever get these sorted?
If it is just at the top edge of the cuff, just have the shop grind the edge so it is less sharp and flare the top of the cuff forward with a heat mold.

I didn’t get it sorted. Unfortunately the shop I purchased them from changed hands so I am not sure they will help. By top edge I assume you mean top edge of the cuff.

It is time for me to start thinking about it again.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
I didn’t get it sorted. Unfortunately the shop I purchased them from changed hands so I am not sure they will help. By top edge I assume you mean top edge of the cuff.

yes

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screwing the bootboard down is actually one of those things I've always wondered why it ISN'T done in all boots
Because boot fitters like us need to work on the zeppa from time to time and screwing it down is a PITA for us. :D

@AmyPJ - I have the Promachine as well and just got the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD as a hybrid boot. When I got my Promachine I didn’t realize I would be in the market for a hybrid boot too ‍♀️ Love my Promachine and cannot wait to try the Hawx.

Did you happen to try the Nordica Strider? Its slightly wider than the Pro machine but similar technology otherwise
Just curious.
The Atomic XTD is a really good boot!
8 or so hours. Too much for a quick trip.
Pffft, we do it all the time.

What does Infrared: 6' on the cuff mean or measure?
That is how many minutes to heat the boot under the infrared heater for adjustments.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

What you're describing is not uncommon with a lot of boots. Its usually a pretty easy fix.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Because boot fitters need to work on the zeppa from time to time and screwing it down is a PITA.

Riveted hardware and screwed in Zeppas. Can we talk about 22.5's that aren't while we're at it? Bless their soles.

:golfclap:

Sponsor

Staff online