• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have been thinking about new boots for a while and made the move today to go in and try on some different boots. I decided to go to a local shop (I live in Mass) with a good reputation as we ski at different areas and will always be coming back home. I worked in the ski industry for about 15 years in the 80s to late 90s but am somewhat out of touch. I also remember it making sense even back then to let someone else fit me rather than trying to do it myself.

I am in my early 50s and have been skiing my whole life but not a ton the last 8-10 years as my kids were busy. I was still thinking a 130 flex boot as I am 6' 205 and in pretty good shape. With a D+ width and a fairly high arch/instep I went in thinking Nordica Speedmachine or Technica Mach 1 MV based on what the shop carries.

I wound up in a boot that wasn't originally on my radar the Nordica Promachine 120 which is a lower volume boot. It came down to the Mach 1 LV actually and the Promachine. Even in a 120 flex the Promachine felt stiffer than the Speedmachine and Mach 1. We will see how it stiffens in the cold but it has way more support than my current boots which are a 110 flex (emergency buy after a cracked boot before a vacation).

The fitter did some work taking some volume out of my footbed and the boots felt good in the shop. I am sure they will need some work to get them perfect but I am sure I can go ski on them as they are. I will probably just ski local at Wachusett once they open to get a half day in before I head up north.

It was a good experience the fitter was patient and knowledgeable. I hate buying new boots but I think these will be good. I am excited to get on the snow.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have had great success fitting this boot this year. BTW, which soles did yo do, Gripwalk or DIN?

TS
C

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have had great success fitting this boot this year. BTW, which soles did yo do, Gripwalk or DIN?

They have the grip walk soles on right now but I have the din soles also. I didn’t have my skis with me so I need to see if I have any compatibility issues. I have last years iRallys and an older pair of Head bindings. I like the idea of the grip walks if they will work.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They have the grip walk soles on right now but I have the din soles also. I didn’t have my skis with me so I need to see if I have any compatibility issues. I have last years iRallys and an older pair of Head bindings. I like the idea of the grip walks if they will work.
Unfortunately they won't. Swap over the soles and save the GW's for when you upgrade.

TS
C

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I just got the iRallys so I won’t be upgrading for a while.

TS
C

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I just got the iRallys so I won’t be upgrading for a while.
Unfortunately they won't. Swap over the soles and save the GW's for when you upgrade.
is there anything I need to worry about if I swap them myself except having the right bit? I can easily bring them to the shop but it should be easy.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't know the difference between Pro and Speed -machine boots other than the last. Friend is being fitted for the Speedmachine right now in a 130. Based on the forums here, wasn't surprised, since he does have a high instep, confirmed by the boot fitter.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nordica hit the ball out of the park with this one. Awesome boot. I moved into them this year, coming from a GPX...I thought that was "my boot", until I got my foot in the Promachine.

TS
C

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
Don't know the difference between Pro and Speed -machine boots other than the last. Friend is being fitted for the Speedmachine right now in a 130. Based on the forums here, wasn't surprised, since he does have a high instep, confirmed by the boot fitter.

I think the primary difference is the last but there are also additional changes in the construction of the shell. This spot (https://www.nordica.com/usa/promachine/) on the Nordica website has a little graphic that shows some differences in the shells. I think the liners are substantially the same.

When I was looking at boot I tried on the SM 130 and the PM 120. I found the PM 120 to feel stiffer in the shop. Granted it was in the shop at 68* however given that both boots are from the same manufacturer I would expect that will translate to the hill.

I went in expecting the SM 130 to be the boot for me. I have a D to D+ width foot with a highish instep (not crazy high) and a pretty high arch. With my orthotics in the boots the PM just felt better around my foot. I am going to have to pay attention to the instep but I have spent several hours in the boots now between the shop and house and I think they will work. I am going to try to get them on the snow this weekend.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
There is a lot to like about this boot. Plus the Nordica Infrared rocks! The suction cups are a little meh, but the even heat the Infrared applies enables the plastic move like Pizza dough.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is a lot to like about this boot. Plus the Nordica Infrared rocks! The suction cups are a little meh, but the even heat the Infrared applies enables the plastic move like Pizza dough.
Yeah, I don't use the suction cups eiher but the infrared works great.

TS
C

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yeah, I don't use the suction cups eiher but the infrared works great.

What does the infrared do. The boot felt good in the store so we didn't mess with the shell. I am going to ski in it and see how it feels then go back if needed.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What does the infrared do. The boot felt good in the store so we didn't mess with the shell. I am going to ski in it and see how it feels then go back if needed.
Heats the shell for molding and punching. If yours work..don't worry about fixing what isn't broken.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Phil
Have you tried the infrared on any other plastics yet?
I think I read of someone using it on Grilamid(PA12).
Despite what Nordica says, I think it wold be fine on other plastics, but haven't tried it yet.
Would love to hear how it works on Polyether, Grilamid, Polypro/ethylene if anyone has tried it.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Phil
Despite what Nordica says, I think it wold be fine on other plastics, but haven't tried it yet.
Would love to hear how it works on Polyether, Grilamid, Polypro/ethylene if anyone has tried it.
It will heat the spot to be punched up, gotta check it with an infrared thermometer so you don't over cook things.

We got a couple of these at our shop we use for width and toe stretches

Again you gotta monitor it or you WILL bubble the plastic, no coffee breaks or conversations

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil
I have. I like it's ability to penetrate the plastic. I find it to be pretty fool proof when set at 6 minutes.

TS
C

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I skied in the PM yesterday for 5e first time yesterday. It was only a half a day at our local hill but I think they are going to be great. I skied for 4 hours without having to take a break. I may need to have one of my footbeds thinned out a tiny bit but overall they felt great. I loved the overall fit and responsiveness.

Next weekend I will be in Park City so they should get a good workout.

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
I have. I like it's ability to penetrate the plastic. I find it to be pretty fool proof when set at 6 minutes.
Do you find the penetrating nature of the infra red is helpful in getting the punch to keep it's shape and not return a little or is that more related to the plastic formulation used?