• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just had my first day on new boots and am gradually getting used to them. They're dalbello drs 110, old boots are lange rx 80 W LV.

The forward lean between the two is very different. From what I can tell new boots are 18 degrees old are 12. On groomers it felt fine, but the forward lean was causing my quads to hurt in moguls, but I was maybe getting used to it. Do I just suck it up until I get used to it? Can anything even be done to straighten them?

I also got my first pair of zipfit liners with these. I've heard multiple times that a heated boot bag is almost a requirement with these. Now this may be a case of "you don't know what you're missing" but I didn't feel like the fit was bad without a heated bag. In fact I want to go back to add more material to one of them. They were heated with the boot fitter at the shop. So am I missing something?

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Your numbers do not seem correct in terms of forward lean from the RX 80 W LV to a DRS 110. Some possibilities are the DRS is a normal height cuff, and the RX 80 is a short cuff. The Zip Fit liner could be thicker and stiffer in the collar and is pushing you further forward.

Numbers that are important for us to give you a better idea of your issues... Measured mondopoint length of your feet, width of your feet, instep perimeter measurement of your feet. What is the circumference of your calf approx 10 inches up from the floor, do you know if your ankle flexion is low, normal, or high? Did you shell fit the boots to your feet? How much room between heel bone and shell with toes lightly touching the front. Do you have a custom, or trim to fit footbed?

Also look at the thickness of the tongue on the Lange, compared to the thinness of the ZipFit tongue?

Can tell you more if you give some more information

TS
nemesis256

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Your numbers do not seem correct in terms of forward lean from the RX 80 W LV to a DRS 110. Some possibilities are the DRS is a normal height cuff, and the RX 80 is a short cuff. The Zip Fit liner could be thicker and stiffer in the collar and is pushing you further forward.

Numbers that are important for us to give you a better idea of your issues... Measured mondopoint length of your feet, width of your feet, instep perimeter measurement of your feet. What is the circumference of your calf approx 10 inches up from the floor, do you know if your ankle flexion is low, normal, or high? Did you shell fit the boots to your feet? How much room between heel bone and shell with toes lightly touching the front. Do you have a custom, or trim to fit footbed?

Also look at the thickness of the tongue on the Lange, compared to the thinness of the ZipFit tongue?

Can tell you more if you give some more information
Comparing the two, cuff heights are identical. Liner tongues are pretty close too. I went down a size with the new boots, they're 24.5. Ive got low volume feet, low ankle flexion, custom footbed, both have a heel lift under the liner.. When I tried one of each boots on both feet, the knee of the leg that was in the DRS was about 1+ inches forward.

MRT

Putting on skis
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
What is the circumference of your calf at the top of the liner
What is the length of your feet in cm

pull the liners from both brands of boots and place the heel each shell against a vertical surface,( a table top with the heel against the wall) then measure from that vertical surface (the wall) to the top inside of each of the shells
this will tell you if they have the same amount of forward lean. What did you get?

mike

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
the forward lean was causing my quads to hurt in moguls,
Too much forward lean tilts the lower leg too far forward, we bend at the knees & hips to get balanced & centered, and things don't work well. Take out the heel lifts and see how you ski now. If there is a spoiler between the shell and liner, try moving it for less effect or try taking it out. Both sides of the cuff have adjusters, right? You can move both to change the shaft front tilt and still maintain the cuff angle that fits your legs. (The cuff is anchored by the two screws in the back. If the adjusters on both sides are rotated to lower the cuff at those points, the cuff will tilt forward more, and vice versa. If one adjuster is moved up and the other moved down, the side inclination of the cuff changes; set it as needed to match the angle of your lower leg.)

TS
nemesis256

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What is the circumference of your calf at the top of the liner
What is the length of your feet in cm

pull the liners from both brands of boots and place the heel each shell against a vertical surface,( a table top with the heel against the wall) then measure from that vertical surface (the wall) to the top inside of each of the shells
this will tell you if they have the same amount of forward lean. What did you get?

mike
Circumference of left leg is 36.5 cm, right is 36 cm. Feet length is 25 cm.

The two shells against the wall, there's a bit less than 1 cm difference. I tried both on again and there's definitely about an inch difference between my knees when I leaned forward.

Does anyone have opinions on heating the zip fit liners?

richddt

Booting up
Skier
Heated boot bag for the Zipfit is nice, since they help you soften the material inside the liners.
You won't miss it if you never had it, but you will want it once you tried it. (especially in a cold day)

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have had Zpfits for 8 seasons and I have had a heated bag the whole time , It is not a must but it sure makes putting them on and they actually are reforming to your foot when warm to make a real comfortable set up that delivers great performance. If heel hold is important to someone its unmatched.