• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gore Windstopper ski pants?

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
Came across a pair of OR Valhallas today, noticed they were Windstopper. Just curious, how well does this fabric perform as a pant?

Thinking in terms of external moisture resistance, breathability compared to the traditional Gore-Tex.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
I have a pair of these. I don't live where it rains much at all during ski season but I've had no problems with moisture transfer sitting on a snowy chair lifts. Breathability seems to be excellent. My only serious complaint with the pant is the thigh pocket which is actually on the back of the thigh and useless as far as I'm concerned. I also have a pair of older OR Tremor pants which were a Schoeller soft shell material and I liked that material a lot better the the Gore Windstopper, but they don't make that pant anymore or any other from that material. I like and own quite a few pieces of OR clothing, but you have to understand that their ski clothes are mostly not designed for in-bounds skiing. Their designers and pro athletes are back country skiers.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
*grin*"not designed for alpine" IME means 'grab some wind briefs, just in case...'

The thigh pocket thing is a clear-the-climbing harness thing.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
I should have mentioned that unlike some ski pants that don't absolutely require a base layer, these do. I got a Gore Windstopper balaclava for winter cycling and only used it once. It definitely blocked the wind, but it was horridly cold. The inside is smooth like the outside so when he outside gets cold it goes right through. My old Turtle Fur balaclava, while not even really wind resistant was much warmer. I guess what I meant by "not designed for alpine" is that they are on the baggy side, for ease of movement when skining.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I should have mentioned that unlike some ski pants that don't absolutely require a base layer, these do. I got a Gore Windstopper balaclava for winter cycling and only used it once. It definitely blocked the wind, but it was horridly cold. The inside is smooth like the outside so when he outside gets cold it goes right through.

In our house that would become a helmet rain cover within the hour.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
You're be hard pressed to stretch it over a helmet. It had almost no give to it at all.