• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I've been to MRG before and was thinking the lines for the single chair would be pretty bad on a Sunday. So MRG is probably out.
It doesn't matter how long the lines are, if the snow is good you still get a great experience on the mountain. That's the beauty of the single chair.

mm

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
If driving to Sugarbush maybe stay in Rutland for a cheap motel then you have an easy and scenic hour up 100 to Sugarbush.

MRG might be OK on a Sunday - I never ski it on a weekend due to long lines for the single chair.
MRG is a long day trip from Albany but you go through Middlebury and Bristol, not Rutland.

mm

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Depends on where you cross into VT. I always got off at Glens Falls and took 4 across when I used to go from my sister's place in Saratoga Springs. BTW, that is the way Google maps says to go. Ymmv.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Well if the snow is good between now and then, ie no liquid events, go Magic.
No reason to go MtSnow among those.
Magic, Gore, Whiteface would be the choice for interesting if you've done the usual. Though if you ski Whiteface you might end up in California somehow.

Agree!

No reason to go to Mt Snow.... ;-)

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I happen to agree with James but I grew up going to Sneaux and sometimes familiarity can breed contempt.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Agree!

No reason to go to Mt Snow.... ;-)
Mt Snow isn't steep, but it's had better snowmaking and usually more terrain than Gore or Whiteface since Peaks took over. If you are looking for blue cruisers it's often the best option.

mm

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Depends on where you cross into VT. I always got off at Glens Falls and took 4 across when I used to go from my sister's place in Saratoga Springs. BTW, that is the way Google maps says to go. Ymmv.
Nope. The only way Google takes you through Glens Falls and Rutland is if you use the "maximize traffic lights" setting.

mm

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nope. The only way Google takes you through Glens Falls and Rutland is if you use the "maximize traffic lights" setting.

mm

lol. You take the high road and I'll take the low road and I'll get to Scotland (5 minutes) afore ye.:beercheer:

In current traffic of course.

TS
Nathanvg

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mt Snow isn't steep, but it's had better snowmaking and usually more terrain than Gore or Whiteface since Peaks took over. If you are looking for blue cruisers it's often the best option.

mm
I thoughts Mt Snow had one decently steep lift. I know the southern VT ski areas are mellow. I've already been to Okemo. I'd like more steeps but there was enough variety to make the cruisers interesting as well as a few short bump runs. Is Stratton any better? For the Tuesday, I would decide based on conditions: Gore or one of the S VT areas.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Mt snow.. For me (I love steep) I think it only has those 3 trails Ripcord and 2 next to it? I think The Mt gets quite flat after about 600-700ft of vertical.
Yes Gore is 'interesting' If Rumor is open and it can scare (and really can kill you) it is very steep. On top Lies and Open Pit while short runs have pitch. I dislike the cross fall lines on many of Gores steeper trails. Yes There are cruisers. We're all hoping we all get the 2ft dump this Sat/Sunday that will get a lot more terrain open.It's a shame Gore has lots of state $$ it makes a lot of $$$, they have free water from the Hudson River for snowmaking and they just won't put it out like Okemo, Kton or other private ski areas do! I think Whiteface does a better job grooming and snowmaking than Gore and IMO you can't get much steeper than WF unless you go west. I haven't been to Stratton in yrs. I dislike the way green runs cross the black trails and they play lift roulette midweek.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Believe it or not even with good snow any non-holiday Sunday is pretty much dead by the afternoon. You didn't specify what type of trails you prefer. Sugarbush has a bit of everything and is currently 100% open. MRG and Magic are more for experts and only worth it with lots of snow. Mt Snow is more mellow but still has some steep stuff and must be close to 100% open. So many places have augmented their woods/glades acreage so who knows what's best these days. Gore sounds like fun but at 43/103 trails open VT could be worth the longer drive.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If only for 1 day, I'd think the steeper North Face at Mt Snow would keep you entertained. Then head to their blue cruisers to work on your carve...

TS
Nathanvg

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
So my trip got pushed back and I'd now ski one day, a week from Monday. It appears that it rained yesterday at all ski areas in the region but conditions appear to be particularly bad in S VT. It is supposed to stay cold next week and maybe snow so conditions should improve.

Sugarbush is still showing 100% open which despite the drive is in the lead. Gore seems to have most of the non-glade runs open. If they could get a handful of glades open, I'd ski there due to proximity. Maybe the snow reports are nuts and the glades are horrible everywhere? Any local recent intel?

Smugglers claims 240" of snow year to date, maybe it's worth the drive? If I did either N VT location, I'd drive up one evening, ski then drive back to Albany before returning to work which seems reasonable.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
E812F9AF-F84A-4310-B241-696C251280E0.jpeg
So my trip got pushed back and I'd now ski one day, a week from Monday. It appears that it rained yesterday at all ski areas in the region but conditions appear to be particularly bad in S VT. It is supposed to stay cold next week and maybe snow so conditions should improve.

Sugarbush is still showing 100% open which despite the drive is in the lead. Gore seems to have most of the non-glade runs open. If they could get a handful of glades open, I'd ski there due to proximity. Maybe the snow reports are nuts and the glades are horrible everywhere? Any local recent intel?

Smugglers claims 240" of snow year to date, maybe it's worth the drive? If I did either N VT location, I'd drive up one evening, ski then drive back to Albany before returning to work which seems reasonable.

I was at Gore on Wednesday and all the glades were open. Not sure how much rain they got, but they closed all the glades. There was a lot of snow in there. Maybe they are just trying to preserve it.

Attachments

• 35C339C2-558A-4B6D-95DE-D24D990B75A9.jpeg
    35C339C2-558A-4B6D-95DE-D24D990B75A9.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 1

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier

although it rained everywhere, Smugglers is getting some lake effect snow right now, and all of VT is going to get snow midweek- everything will be in good shape. Sugarbush seems like a better option than smugs because of the better lift system, two mountains, and of course, Castlerock.

TSQURD

Booting up
Skier
A lot can happen in a New England week, but the forecast is calling for snow. Skied Sugarbush today, the groomers were firm, natural snow trails were hit or miss, where it was good, it was very good. The trees were were in surprisingly good condition for the most part, some were great - like it never rained, others were wind packed then rained on.

If it does snow, I would imagine all of the natural snow trails and trees will be in great shape

TS
Nathanvg

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for the tips everyone. I ended up going to Gore based on less rain chance and I successfully avoided the rain. It was warm and foggy with some sun. Overall, I had a great time. The only bummer was that they closed all the glades and a handful of skiable open runs.

XK0OILjijmPrfASXMj2YDbtH9nib-q8zmI_2TUuBd4TG2a-GVnQrSjnWC1YFB5mFI1Vz5SIbzTCFd2UMG-bInuDQgnwZQ71T91Fu97o6CCHCBUi4t1Y5ayPfRYxDn1QfXNiH2BI_811w5-hrEzs-L6-xYFkL-tp_3fI0eWR-zGm9WjAnvZ33_Zs2syPrPKsRSs5ImaBEMuJZahiee2TGbKrzdvj8lL3KRxR2GlAXEfUrz1slv3i70s32dulShFew5OEEOg08g0SGQ13jHB3PXR9FRxSa-qAfcqSdMgTRFTAsE9a2ovCrlRDcLpZqMaAv2TfgNIxUNAmUE5V-qNOOsVpFETkka2bG8___t7o6hxAgkXFmF10aBcQ_zJO45rJ11dT6gNOIoAXrNYlOMnMnA2So0rsMwc758Ybr6YxE_-PxB9Zl5FR2uo57vF9RtNa-dAwi6Hx0y5xltCukFksJrl-yz56dJ0bptpxDyBTx0fcI-MVr9IRjI7c6msWEftrQ_9x0H25EaxwHGHklsISxZCN7sUQRZZWIufV7fH3nNAcm7HiRSskMN3Z55eBYBArGa6kFDWtqEG_iwvx7LQO4Ifr-c2tF9kFyl1bNE48QlFOoGSOmmdFDY4Ciykpb93o4ZoX3BNDoZE0U0zdiGwq97xwBRMThGMc=w1052-h789-no

08rSZUVt75sTwFRBAlQMeUDkob5PLMYl274xvgAh4uE7rRoLek_cr-VnXE94dVe132nxrxImbLL3zp7V0zwTsOo12Hbs_k8jKhsjqz8U4pwPrvMc7ld9JWqBCWC291Yuxm6o7qLawf0zzOCkSNhFviR4JuXgVcfmqLRjULzUJ1b1snrmv4tviKApGGosa5tqfJZviMHzfB550xC5sqOsWKAJZcIDiTZI4cQZRi6Ye1h7hTdKsSrjUNZu6XNfrrVBSBjkEtepi1DObe6e2QnvuawCsBROB-t4EKu3nFEz9hMo3FERYqgRHFvajcAv0l4SGoe0nOjrD3cDzxE1gQF4cWRiH8r5h3aeMzleAtMXREkBuzqlI5yuXCrefRmaC22FpezYirOcMgtXmZeAqi7IOgvkreHwFt50H1R8fjhpjVS16Mqg8fheV48V2kznr0_wr4RzLRwjqY6XWIJJ2UkMFMsYwnd6-d93FC3sBXcgvVQxb4tUbJBaxZ76cQz0K_zxnsbEa0DuI8EaoyK7WWy7IuWtD3q72x7ogp8x59BzHyBkrTvRKZyzJGYZKPsPknDhB9Os03Afyty13R8V-P88lDazVdxWXB8XZ4SrdiXmo3fyQW_VOwfVUdg_5uMWWVXfc6Fd7yLaIu_pVXIaeFQjeOkqMajF4I0=w1052-h789-no

wT4cY8PUxfovtWbiNK4fhJin4m3fhq1yTUGZmTI6GiIkYLBUhlNqPb_chNq1rLzybNaBbxNg5isfDw_M2CaVG9Q0gSKph4SgWIQFbPonO8vlyf5HW2An6RLxvATmy_I8nQpVVbPvf6BVPaRXMIkGVMOmt2LEPn_Z4LN8MX6VTVTbQvCE-7sS8bx2GvebH_ho81QCL6r9y9oDtZrjN_i00bq0by6IMhOUsj6Wd1ao8h-CM_s5ova2u6Xgw5oYoUNGOyieSfqRGSAPmtwopbSV5KUjpzhZ6ByabegI8v6sYeKUq5dMs5-IcGzbCNTv26e-SITqBHEyoc70LDH9o9WMIiuPfPM7kd8OmPVIquaJ7_rkYeH3Anp1T0qj1Lc7qEiJrbZKDkjrN-t7jsrI-ERJKl7E9not4jprDe3qr1PfuSCecnboYDMa0vTyg_t3TlLWYxapDDmbTPrLV4fn3loYmw0tCI8NsZ695MqKo3cegsfdpvQ8oXSnHnSnsWSinWFjMZQh8aOl1nqgpYWZdQzcTFllFS25S3GJ6vU0DhgQIPx2SgUJiNY-78rTfUL7X4MWAaiQxtKqIMKBTqiVHAt2Rbvlx1tkXpN6Fb3DQygMIHOluKks_KEg9vyoP3ZpOWVcoupKNleqp2RLJNBVYH9Q84K_t7kkCYs=w1052-h789-no

Sponsor

Staff online