• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm headed to Albany for work at the end of the month and plan to get a little skiing in. Most likely I'll be skiing a Sunday and Tuesday. I'm looking for recommendations on where to ski.

Skiing on a Tuesday is a treat with no crowds. I'll likely do Gore or Mt Snow on Tuesday (need to be fairly close to airport)

Not sure where to go on Sunday. Sugarbush would be fun but I'm thinking it might be very crowded? Maybe a smaller area like Magic or Pico would be cool? I've skied a dozen or so ski areas in the region before including many trips to Killington. I'd like to do something different this time. I'm also tempted by Whiteface which I enjoyed a lot the last time I skied it.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well if the snow is good between now and then, ie no liquid events, go Magic.
No reason to go MtSnow among those.
Magic, Gore, Whiteface would be the choice for interesting if you've done the usual. Though if you ski Whiteface you might end up in California somehow.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Gore for Tuesday. Easy drive. Everywhere will likely be crowded Sunday. Magic may not have the crowds but they are a bit lift challenged so there can be a line. If there is good snow though, Magic has the best terrain in southern VT. Sugarbush is a good 3 hours from Albany. Whiteface close to 2.5.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well there's always West Mountain for Sunday or Monday night!
What a hoot. I guess there would be no school buses pulling up at 4pm. I've never seen such chaos. We were lucky as we had a closed slalom course.
It's fun. My first night skiing. Bring a ski lock if it's crowded or use the check if they have it.
https://www.westmtn.net/mountain/hours-of-operation/

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I’d go all New York with Whiteface Sunday and Gore Tuesday. Whiteface might be busy, but you could hit the singles lines. I had a good stay in 2014 at this hostel near Lake Placid if you decided to drive up the night before: http://www.tmax-n-topo.com/reservations/

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
If weather is good I agree go to Whiteface on Sunday. It's such a great Mt. Could be a bit busy in the am but most people don't last long at WF w/all the Vertical, The Wilmington Trail if you haven't done it on a clear day is spectacular, it's not open yet. Stop at the cottage in LP before heading out . Gore on Tues is fine but they don't run all the lifts midweek. Have fun.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
If you're looking to cut down on drive time for at least one of your ski days, Jiminy Peak is only about 45 minutes from Albany. I've only been there once. Nothing spectacular, but a nice, well kept, moderate sized hill.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
I've stayed at a good hostel near there too: http://hosteltevere.com/

Used to be a good restaurant, bar type, there. Now it's just a bar.
Mad Tacos in Waitsfield for great food and beer in a dive.

Depends on your definition of good. The price is definitely right if you're traveling solo. If you book late, you may end up bedding over that bar, walking through two other bunk rooms (meaning people in those other rooms have to put up with all that extra foot traffic). Inadequate bathrooms for a full house. If I recall, the bar is only open Thur-Sun, so good for early-week sleeping, not so good if you want a early-week drink without heading out.

Mad Taco well worth the short drive.

TS
Nathanvg

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for the tips everyone.

Gore on Tues is fine but they don't run all the lifts midweek. Have fun.
Today they are running all lifts except Hudson. Do they scale it back more than that.

Not sure where I'll stay but I'll pass on the hostel. I basic clean hotel room is all I need.

I'm thinking Sugarbush or Magic for Sunday. I'd drive most of the way Saturday evening then return to Albany Sunday night if I went to Sugarbush.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm surprised they had all but Hudson, most times I'm up there they're not qll \running. I'll hope they are on for you!
it's the only Mt I've seen with a 'disclaimer'! (I'm a Gore refugee, grew up there is 50min from my house but I drive over to Okemo where I know it's in tip top shape and all lifts spin)

Please Take Note:
Trail conditions, including groomed surfaces, change constantly due to many factors including, but not limited to, skier traffic, weather, snowmaking, and other factors both manmade and natural. This report is subject to change without notice at any time.

James

Out There
Instructor
Depends on your definition of good. The price is definitely right if you're traveling solo. If you book late, you may end up bedding over that bar, walking through two other bunk rooms (meaning people in those other rooms have to put up with all that extra foot traffic). Inadequate bathrooms for a full house. If I recall, the bar is only open Thur-Sun, so good for early-week sleeping, not so good if you want a early-week drink without heading out.

Mad Taco well worth the short drive.
Hah. Ok, good to know. I stayed over the bar at the Hyde Away Inn on the access road to Mad River. The floor is just boards with cracks and you hear everything. Very good hot breakfast though, and they have other rooms.

I'd recommend White Horse Inn as a good basic place. Stayed there like 3 years ago. Room was motel like, common room nice, breakfast food excellent.
They might have fixed it up since then as they were new owners.

Don't like moguls? Why not Mad River?
Also, Jimminy has night skiing but don't know about monday.

Last edited:

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I'm surprised they had all but Hudson, most times I'm up there they're not qll \running.
The gondola shut down yesterday at about 9 and there were no lifts until about 10. Burnt ridge never ran. North quad shut down with the gondola, but lift 6 opened for upper mountain access at about 1030.
The afternoon was good. Lies and rumor were in good shape but the entrance to rumor was....interesting.
Overall Gore has been in poor shape considering all the new snowmaking. Lots of lift closures, new drainage problems and bar prices are still too high. The locals are getting cranky.

mm

Last edited:

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Gore or Pico is your best bet for less crowds on a Sunday. Gore can be limited midweek, especially Monday or Tuesday. Sugarbush is too far for one day. Killington or hunter are good midweek or Mt Snow for low pitch cruisers.

Magic or Mad River Glen if there is new snow.

mm

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If driving to Sugarbush maybe stay in Rutland for a cheap motel then you have an easy and scenic hour up 100 to Sugarbush.

MRG might be OK on a Sunday - I never ski it on a weekend due to long lines for the single chair.

TS
Nathanvg

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
MRG might be OK on a Sunday - I never ski it on a weekend due to long lines for the single chair.
I've been to MRG before and was thinking the lines for the single chair would be pretty bad on a Sunday. So MRG is probably out.

Sponsor

Staff online