• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

GoPro mounting

apache

Booting up
Inactive
Resurrecting the GoBot thread a bit. People speak of a boot strap mount. Are these DIY or is there a commercial product out there somewhere?

Gracias,
G

apache

Booting up
Inactive
I have the chest strap. Specifically inquiring about a dedicated leg strap. My searching turns up some commercial straps, but can't tell if they are big enough to go around the upper cuff of a ski boot. Cheers, G

patmoore

Septuagenarian Snowboard/Ski Racer
Skier
The issue of using the chest mount is that it tends to bounce around a little more than the helmet mount. There's also the issue of landing on your chest in a fall. SInce I put together this video, I've mounted a GoPro on a ski gate and used a wrist mount. I have a few more ideas for next season.

TS
Carl Kuck

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
The issue of using the chest mount is that it tends to bounce around a little more than the helmet mount. There's also the issue of landing on your chest in a fall. SInce I put together this video, I've mounted a GoPro on a ski gate and used a wrist mount. I have a few more ideas for next season.

Very nice! I'll be hauling my GoPro up to Mammoth for next weekend, haven't played with that one in a while.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I had a blast playing around with my GoPro 3+ silver at PC several weeks back, and will be hauling it up there in another couple of weeks for our return trip. I'm using a stick-on mount attached to my Bolle helmet, but the location point on that helmet are somewhat limited due to the contours and vents.

Here's a sample:

This is set at 960, you can see the ski tips and get a pretty good scenic view as well. I'm thinking about trying their chest mount, but what really got me wondering was the concept of mounting the camera on a ski. There's probably hellacious vibration not seen since my days of working in a small aerospace company with a "shaker table", but that might be correctable. I've also done some rearward facing video of people following me which also turned out really cool...

Ideas? :huh:

Some people mount a go pro on a ski to get a different shot for the edit. It is not like they show the entire clip from that view unless it is to see how a ski is handling the terrain and skiing.

That is key, to get different points of view of a run so as to make the edit interesting. A head mount or chest mount and a pole mount help greatly in making the video more interesting. If you only have one camera alternate mounts and then edit. If the run and light condition are similar you can cut between the shots no prob.

I prefer the head mount due to being quite stable compared to other mounts on the body. That said, I have older go pros, the new Hero5 and IIRC the Session5 have a very nice stabilizer built in.

Here is my first 2 cam edit: VIDEO

patmoore

Septuagenarian Snowboard/Ski Racer
Skier
Few more clips. I put this one together for a Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge contest. All footage had to be with a GoPro. I won a new Session 5 GoPro as a result.

At the finals I used a wrist mount on my snowboard run. Freezing rain stuck to the lens so I just used a short clip of it. At the end of the video you can see where I used a bicycle handlebar mount on a ski gate.

And here's a chest mount view.

DbSki

Putting on skis
Skier
Ive been using a chesty mount since 2011

The straps need to be very tight and worn as high as possible on the chest to keep the shoulder straps short as possible to stop the camera bouncing so much, but even then the geometry of the strap mounts don't help.

The waist strap should be well below the camera not centre line of it that relies on the shoulder straps only controlling camera bounce and as they are longer and elastic they cant stop the camera bounce.

2015 I added a short bit of acrylic sheet below the chest mount plate (zip tied to it) to move the fulcrum point of the chest plate to below the waist strap and it had slightly better results but still earth quake video in moguls.

The 3 axis gyro stabilised mounts can attach to a chest mount, a bit bulky but the results are amazing.
Bit spendy at abt $250 US
Not sure if I can justify it.

Few videos here of front and rear facing chest mount.

Not so bad on groomers

Front view

Rear view

Earthquake on moguls or tracked cover.

DbSki

Putting on skis
Skier
Was thinking about the boot mount as an alternative.
Considered modifying an old plastic boot tongue to mount the camera on the top off then slide it down the shin of my boot between the shell and liner and clip up and use to top strap as well to secure it so the camera is just below the knee.

TS
Carl Kuck

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Time to resurrect! I did get a chest mount (the Platinum house brand from Best Buy) that's will have my 3+ attached. Spending a week in Park City, skiing PC/Canyons the first 3 days of the coming week and then DV the remaining 3 days. I'll be chasing a friend of mine on Sunday at PC, if you see a tie-dye jacket go by that's most likely me! Interesting to see how the chest mount footage looks...

Sponsor

Staff online