• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Good Ski Lessons in Northeast

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In general, what are some of the better ski programs for an hourly or half day lesson?

More specifically, with the Ikon pass where would my money be well spent on semi private lessons for my kids? My daughter is stuck in a bit of an intermediate funk. She is fine on easier advanced trails but gets intimidated by steeper trails like avalanche at Cannon or the double blacks at Killington. My boy progresses quickly and cruises in control down trails like white heat. Thanks!

James

Out There
Instructor
Avalanche trail at Cannon and the steep double blacks at Kton are hardly anything in the intermediate zone. They're among the steepest trails in the east.
Keith Hopkins or Rich Weiss at Kton I'd recommend but there are many others. Kids I'd go with Keith.

TS
Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's what I meant, she's been stuck at a certain level for a while and while lessons have helped she's a little stuck there. I was just trying to give examples rather than saying "my boy is an expert and my daughter is an intermediate" which could lead to thread drift.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
What age are these kids? At Killington Kinley Tener is great with kids, meaning under 18. No slouch on skis either.

You can find talent at just about any area. And your kids might not need the best instructor on the hill.

My recommendations would be:

Avoid holiday lessons. Like the plague. Crazy busy.

Frequency is as important as instruction. Go often, go close to home, go after school or night skiing if any is near you.

If you kids comes back with an aha! moment and a huge smile, that's the instructor for him/her.

Bulk is better price-wise. Look into ski camps, seasonal programs, school programs, etc.

James

Out There
Instructor
The other thing to consider is the dynamics of the two of them together. They might be better off separated. Mostly for her sake as she's the intimidated one. With brother around she may stay in that role. Is there possibly a friend who skis at her level you could combine with?

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
but gets intimidated by steeper trails like avalanche at Cannon or the double blacks at Killington.

Any intermediate who feels intimidated by Avalanche should not be on that trail. Too many times I see a parent encouraging their kid on a trail when the kid is not ready for that trail. Last time was on a narrow and steep bump section at Mt Snow, the teenager was not ready, skiing way on the backseat and trying to navigate around. She fell, ended up with a lower arm injury and taking the sled ride down.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
The other thing to consider is the dynamics of the two of them together. They might be better off separated. Mostly for her sake as she's the intimidated one. With brother around she may stay in that role. Is there possibly a friend who skis at her level you could combine with?

Oh yeah, I sort of assumed he was talking about separate lessons.

TS
Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Good tips.
Any intermediate who feels intimidated by Avalanche should not be on that trail. Too many times I see a parent encouraging their kid on a trail when the kid is not ready for that trail. Last time was on a narrow and steep bump section at Mt Snow, the teenager was not ready, skiing way on the backseat and trying to navigate around. She fell, ended up with a lower arm injury and taking the sled ride down.

Trying to be polite but no duh, it's a relative thing. It's more ice that she doesn't like, put her on the same trail in good conditions and she can make nice controlled turns the whole way down.

TS
Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Anyways, thank you for the suggestions.