• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Garfield

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello,

My wife and I have been skiing for a while, and normally go to PCMR every year. But I was looking to go somewhere different just for some variety. Nothing wrong with PCMR, but 7 years in a row, it's time to try somewhere else at least once.

My wife doesn't like steep runs, so nice, open, long greens and easy wide non-steep groomed blues are what she likes. As an example, she likes doing Claimjumper and the top half of Homerun at PCMR for nice wide greens, and the various groomed blue's off of King Con lift. Seems like a lot of resorts have a bunch of greens that are either cat-tracks, or way at the bottom of the mountain, which isn't very fun.

Location doesn't matter too much, as long as it is fairly easy to get to. We are in Atlanta, so always fly anyway. We will go anytime between mid-February and early March, and avoid any price hikes for President's week. Don't care about nightlife, just need a place with decent accommodations and some nice restaurants (not fancy and expensive, just good food). WE are too tired after skiing all day to go out! ogsmile

Any thoughts?

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
If you like Park City you would love Snowmass, Vail, Beaver Creek, Ketstone, Breckenridge, Whistler, Heavenly, Northstar, Steamboat and Mammoth amongst plenty of others.
Spoilt for choice.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
2nd for Snowmass and Steamboat. I have/had the exact dynamic as you in my family and my wife has loved both places.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We did ski steamboat several years ago when I was firmly in the blue grooomers camp. It was really nice, lots of sun exposure so best earlier in the season. We were there end of March and the returns down to the bottom got unpleasantly slushy (especially for that skill level), although you could download on the gondola. Nice thing is that the groomers are nice and high up on the mountain, so you get some good long views.

I don’t know how long you want to go, but for a week she might get a bit bored at Steamboat. We were there for 5 days and it was plenty. If you are limited to that kind of terrain, you simply aren’t skiing a large part of the resort, so I would maybe look for a bigger resort if you were going for a longer time.

By that same token, and given your location in the East at a major airport, you might want to look at the Alps. I have a little personal experience, but from what I do have, and from research, if you want to ski groomers, Europe is the place to go.

The scenery is different, often arguably better, and best of all, there are ‘ski tours’ linking several villages and valleys together in one giant loop.
If you are skiing groomers for fun, rather than race style, having a variety of views and settings can be really enjoyable.

If you don’t have lift tickets yet, the European reasorts tend to be a lot cheaper than the American ones, as is food in Austria and Italy. Together, this can make up for a big part of the airfare price difference.

Checkout @TonyC ’s trip reports from last winter. As well as comments from @Started at 53 .

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello,

My wife and I have been skiing for a while, and normally go to PCMR every year. But I was looking to go somewhere different just for some variety. Nothing wrong with PCMR, but 7 years in a row, it's time to try somewhere else at least once.

My wife doesn't like steep runs, so nice, open, long greens and easy wide non-steep groomed blues are what she likes.

What kind of a skier is your wife? Is she looking to trench deep carves or cruise? Does she fanatically want to ski open to close or is it more something to get some fresh air and exercise?

What kind of skiing do you like? How long do you plan on going? Do you want to stay in one spot or combine multiple close resorts?

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Snowmass, all the way. I've been to the Aspen area several times and I have never waited in a lift line. Snowmass is simply enormous.

The town of Aspen itself is a few miles down the road. There is an awesome bus system servicing the Aspen valley; there is absolutely no reason to rent a car. There are good restaurants in Snowmass and of course Aspen itself is chock full of them.

In my experience -- despite the "Aspen reputation" -- it's really no more expensive then any other large destination resort.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Snowbasin has several long blue/green runs from top to bottom.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
In Colorado, Snowmass no question...IF they get snow obviously. Most other areas in Colorado that are good for intermediates have pretty huge crowds most of the time, not the case with Snowmass.

That said, Breck has the Peak 7 area which is full of easy intermediate cruising runs. When most of the area is open you can find relaxed skiing there. Its most always sunny and nice. Peak 6 also offers some easy going intermediate terrain in the alpine with great views. Peak 8 and 9 also have some good intermediate cruising runs but most of the time are much more crowded.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
I'll third Snowmass or Steamboat. Both would work, but I'd give the nod to Snowmass. Lots to choose from there.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Second Bachelor.

If you are considering north of the border, Big White might be a good choice. Perhaps not as crowded as the mega-resorts.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sun Valley I hear is tremendous. Big Sky is also good.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Powder Mountain came to mind especially the new territory added 16/17
-Mary's Bowl
-Village Lift (Lefty's Canyon)

There's also a lot of the greens off the high speed lift (Hidden Lake Express) at the center of the trail map.

http://www.powdermountain.com/en/the-mountains/trail-map/
I know Powder Mountain is BIG, but a large chunk of that is hike-to or snowcat. And even on the lift accessed terrain, how much of that is groomed? Sounds like the OP’s wife is not looking for moguls, u groomed, etc. I am sure they have some great green runs, but do they have enough of them to entertain someone for a whole vacation, skiing only their green and blue groomers?

Then there is their low altitude, so maybe not the best choice for the end of the OP’s timeframe.

BTW, I don’t mean to make this sounds as a slam on Powder Mtn, It is actually the resort I most want to visit.

Last edited:

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sun valley's greens are like park city's blues so don't go there. Most other suggestions are good. My top suggestions are
  • Snowmass, no crowds, lots of easy blues, great views
  • Telluride, no crowds, long greens, lots of blues, great views
  • Banff Sunshine Village lots of greens and blues. Canadiens friendliness and some of the best scenery in the world

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Valley was mentioned. About half the greens would be blues at other mountains. About half the blues I would not consider easy as you describe. Still might be OK, but maybe not the best choice.

Since you have been going to Utah, have you considered other SLC areas? Alta, in spite of its reputation, has a good selection of greens and what I would consider east blues. I have never been to Deer Valley, but think it might fit your needs.

I second the opinions regarding Snowmass. She might also like Buttermilk and Highland at Aspen. Best part about Aspen, is that if one mountain is not quite suitable, there are three others.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the correction on Sun Valley.

Sponsor

Staff online