• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Good Read: a cycling surge

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting about the Treks! The shop I go to (hubs works there in winter) doesn't carry much inventory but has boxes and boxes of bikes that have been ordered. And they're available online to order. But, we don't ride inexpensive bikes, so.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was just looking at the website of my LBS, in a cursory manner. Nothing under $2500. I guess I will stick with my CL special. I know the value of quality, but since my bike is functional for what I currently use it for, I guess I will wait.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Trek website shows plenty of the higher end bikes available. Not surprised that LBSs have less inventory.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Trek website shows plenty of the higher end bikes available. Not surprised that LBSs have less inventory.

Yeah, there's plenty of inventory at the mid to high end tiers but not so much at the entry level...When I was at the bike shop to pick up some gloves, among the customers awaiting to drop their 15-year-old bikes that haven't been ridden in 5 for a tune up, another customer came and exchanged a Domane with Di2 that was purchased online for a Roubaix AXS cause the Domane was too big and didn't feel right. I can't imagine buying a $6k bike without testing it first. At least they didn't make him wait in line to pick it up.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, there's plenty of inventory at the mid to high end tiers but not so much at the entry level...When I was at the bike shop to pick up some gloves, among the customers awaiting to drop their 15-year-old bikes that haven't been ridden in 5 for a tune up, another customer came and exchanged a Domane with Di2 that was purchased online for a Roubaix AXS cause the Domane was too big and didn't feel right. I can't imagine buying a $6k bike without testing it first. At least they didn't make him wait in line to pick it up.
I was told to dust off my 1996 Trek and sell it because I could get a hefty premium for it right now. Very tempting!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was told to dust off my 1996 Trek and sell it because I could get a hefty premium for it right now. Very tempting!
Funny. I was looking at completed listings for bikes on ebay to get an idea of how prices were on entry level bikes because a friend of mine wants to get into it.
I found the exact bike that I sold, 12 year old Trek Fuel EX 8, two years ago. The one on Ebay went for stupid money.
Dust that baby off and cash it in!

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Dust that baby off and cash it in!

You may not even have to dust it off. My neighbor a couple of weeks ago sold his Trek hard tail from the previous century with dry rotted tires, semi working shifter/rear derailleur, and "slightly rusted wheels" for $250 "as is" in less than 3 hrs. Three months ago, that bike would have been a Goodwill donation.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The friend I was talking about was asking me to help her determine what was a good value for her budget.
She sent me a link to a 2007 Trek Fuel EX7 that was on CL for 500.00. The paint was faded and it looked like it could use a significant tune up.
The ad did say that it had new rubber.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider

Rim brake bikes are a tough sell. I have a little used S-Works rim brake bike that I was going to sell for $1,000. When I look at the market, no dice. Maybe in a few major metro areas, but not in a cycling town.

I agree though, this might be your best opportunity. It might be $250 instead of $200. Not a windfall, but an incremental increase nonetheless.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
One of the local shops here is having a trade-in program; i.e., they get your old bike(s), you get a gift card.

I had my two road bikes; one of them was only ridden "rarely" at best. I couldn't come up with any justifiable reason to hang onto it, so I traded it in. It still worked perfectly well, so hopefully somebody gives it a new lease on life. On the bright side, now I have room to buy another bike. :)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another news story yesterday on Good Morning America.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We've been in two bike shops recently and, even though we know about the surge on bike sales, to see the empty floors is insane!

We decided to look at getting an e-bike for me because we're in an industry position to do so without much $$ outlay. When we tossed the idea out to some people who were looking for bikes about the possiblity of selling my bike, we were shocked at what they are willing to pay for a bike in this size with these components.
Color me "upgraded for pennies."

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
We've been in two bike shops recently and, even though we know about the surge on bike sales, to see the empty floors is insane!

We decided to look at getting an e-bike for me because we're in an industry position to do so without much $$ outlay. When we tossed the idea out to some people who were looking for bikes about the possiblity of selling my bike, we were shocked at what they are willing to pay for a bike in this size with these components.
Color me "upgraded for pennies."
So what'd ya get?

My wife got a Rad City. Now she can match my speed and distance on my road bike. But the end of the ride is uphill to our house. I have to admit I find it a little annoying when she passes my tired body on the uphill . . . laughing.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So what'd ya get?

My wife got a Rad City. Now she can match my speed and distance on my road bike. But the end of the ride is uphill to our house. I have to admit I find it a little annoying when she passes my tired body on the uphill . . . laughing.
I ordered a Cannondale Habit Neo 2. There was another bike I would have preferred, but the incentives from Cannondale were too good to pass up. With the rush on bike sales, I was a little shocked that Cannondale was still offering the employee pricing for shop employees.
I’m looking forward to riding without lung pain from allergies

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Seen at least 4 posts in the past 2 weeks on Nexdoor and Ring about bike thefts within a few blocks of my house. Mostly old kids bikes or big box junk that nobody would eve bother to lock up in the past. But I guess when you can't go buy a $75 bike at the store for your kid folks will pay actual money for those old ones that usually just get given away when outgrown or neglected

fatbob

Not responding
Skier

So you reckon my 96 Mango Yellow Super V with massive 60mm Headshok travel is a goer? How about my early 90s Stumpjumper Comp with XT thumbies, fully rigid with oh so sweet cro mo frame?

Unfortunately neither have wheelsets at the moment so the $300 I just need a bike right now market probably isn't there.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
We've done bike price and availability - is anybody paying attention to weight set prices?

Unfortunately neither have wheelsets at the moment so the $300 I just need a bike right now market probably isn't there.

Go dig your old bench and bar out of the attic and flog it, get some wheels for those things.

Last edited:

Sponsor