• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

James

Out There
Instructor
Come on, get this. Add a bluetooth phone hookup to the stereo.
Lane detection??? You like to not look at the road?

article-2429679-182E17A100000578-997_634x303.jpg

Pontiac Aztek
Good for a one liner, or one nighter, at least. Guaranteed conversation starter. So ugly it's transcendent. Doesn't matter if you ding it- a real plus.

Go with rims though. Maybe 4 black steel for this could work for its genre. But if you want classier go aluminum.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
So ugly it's transcendent.

She found the Element too ugly. The Aztek is fugly, but still not quite wrap-around ugly.

James

Out There
Instructor
She found the Element too ugly. The Aztek is fugly, but still not quite wrap-around ugly.
Yeah the Element has those black or grey plastic pieces. Can't get around it. Even when they eliminated contrasting color it's still Lego like.

If you want the Aztec can be a little slicker looking than just a beater transport to the meth lab. It doesn't get great mileage, but has a tailgate and a tent. Plus a cooler for a center console.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe you don't know this but I already live on the Front Range and know I-70 very, very well. I've had a Nissan Rogue, a Subaru Impreza and a Honda Civic that I've driven I-70 extensively with. Never needed a suspension repair. That being said, my 30-40 ski days a year will likely reduce to 10-15 while I'm in school.
I know! What's funny is I did pretty much the same commute when I was in grad school at night. Traffic wasn't nearly as bad back then, though. Make sure you have a healthy budget for the express lanes!

On reflection regarding suspension repairs, I think some factors probably exacerbate the issue:
  • Do you have the flexibility to chase powder? If you are so blessed, you'll be driving on much worse road surfaces than the average weekend warrior.
  • Will you keep the vehicle into high mileage? Probably no worries if you lease or get rid of a car less than, say, 75K?
  • Is it a high-performance vehicle? Engineering for weight reduction and performance was a higher priority than durability.
  • Is it a high-MPG car? Engineering for weight reduction and efficiency was a higher priority than durability.
The problem is the increasing fuel economy standards for ALL cars. Efficiency is taking priority over durability. Witness all the stupid turbos! :doh:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The problem is the increasing fuel economy standards for ALL cars. Efficiency is taking priority over durability. Witness all the stupid turbos! :doh:

Turbos are very nice at altitude. If I ever have a problem with mine, I'll let you know.

James

Out There
Instructor
Efficiency is taking priority over durability. Witness all the stupid turbos! :doh:
Superchargers and turbos have been heavily used since WWII. Made high altitude piston engine performance a reality. They are simply not going away. Yeah nothing displaces displacement but the cost in weight and idle fuel use make it problematic.

Why not go electric Chevy Bolt for commuting?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Superchargers and turbos have been heavily used since WWII. Made high altitude piston engine performance a reality. They are simply not going away. Yeah nothing displaces displacement but the cost in weight and idle fuel use make it problematic.

Yeah, turbos are awesome and necessary at aircraft altitudes. Note, though, there is still a good percentage of normally aspirated small aircraft produced. The lower cost to build, operate and maintain normally aspirated aircraft engines is the reason, even with a turbo's the hugely important power to weight advantage when flying.

For an automobile, a turbo is an entirely unnecessary, problematic and expensive component to break. I drive normally aspirated vehicles on the highest elevation and steepest grades in the US (I-70, Loveland Pass, Berthoud Pass) and never want for more power.

There is every reason to believe aviation's well documented higher cost to build, operate and maintain turbo engines also applies to cars.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I finally made a decision and drove this 2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring with the premium package off the lot with 1.8 miles on the odometer tonight. She performed well in the snowstorm I drove home in.

View attachment 42908

hoping you love it as much as my daughter loves hers ... which I suspect you're already doing!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
hoping you love it as much as my daughter loves hers ... which I suspect you're already doing!

Once I got home and got some food in me there may or may not have been some admiring of the vehicle in the garage with wine in hand. I used a pricing program through my work which gave me a price lower than the TrueCar average price and will get me a $200 credit toward the computer I need to purchase. On top of that they’re giving me roof rack side rails, all weather mats, and a clear bra for no charge. That program will also pay up to 2 $500 insurance deductibles per year and 20% of repair charges 2x per year to a maximum of $500 each payment. Wait, what???? That’s crazy! I’m pretty happy with the deal I got.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Once I got home and got some food in me there may or may not have been some admiring of the vehicle in the garage with wine in hand. I used a pricing program through my work which gave me a price lower than the TrueCar average price and will get me a $200 credit toward the computer I need to purchase. On top of that they’re giving me roof rack side rails, all weather mats, and a clear bra for no charge. That program will also pay up to 2 $500 insurance deductibles per year and 20% of repair charges 2x per year to a maximum of $500 each payment. Wait, what???? That’s crazy! I’m pretty happy with the deal I got.

sounds like a darn nice deal! Admire all ya like, visual is nice on the Mazda and of course, new car smell is always nice reminder .. even if a wee toxic!

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
If they are handing out clear bras, I suspect for legal reasons they also have to provide all that insurance coverage too. Would be a good question for you to ask on your first day of torts.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If they are handing out clear bras, I suspect for legal reasons they also have to provide all that insurance coverage too. Would be a good question for you to ask on your first day of torts.

The clear bra is from the dealership and the insurance coverage is from my Workplace Perks Employee Car Buying Program by TrueCar so I don't think it's connected.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
There is every reason to believe aviation's well documented higher cost to build, operate and maintain turbo engines also applies to cars.

Maybe, but bigger pool economics applies too - especially when the mfg offers blanket 5yr/60K powertrain warranty coverage.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At least with a clear bra, you can see the damage it's doing.:duck:

So, the clear bra has not been installed yet and I've been considering whether I really want it since it is easy enough to just not have them put it on. I'd be curious to know why it appears you don't like them?

Magoo

Putting on skis
Inactive
Congrats.....Gave my Black Cx-5 a good spring bath today. Funny this came up. I'd say go for the bra. This was winter 2 for me and it is showing mostly up on top of the hood.. The mazda paint isn't so thick/tough.