• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Good-bye Ziggy (Stardust)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
12473629_849639965162493_8600090291542902086_o.jpg

A good many of us spent time in the 70's and 80's going to concerts and I was not different. I saw David Bowie twice on his Serious Moonlight Tour, once in Philadelphia and also at Hershey Park where i believe they filmed the Let's Dance video. Bowie epitomized "Glitter Rock" from his Ziggy Stardust persona. I haven't heard his new album that was just released but I will look for it now. He will be missed.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
His music has always been an staple for me. Pushed the limits professionally & personally I'm sorry I never had the chance to see him perform. RIP Ziggy.:(

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Wow, this news hit me like like a truck this morning, eyes still moist.

In fourth grade a bunch of my pals and I were big big Alice Cooper fans. By sixth grade most of them migrated to being Kiss fans while I was discovering DaBo.

In tenth grade or so VHS tapes were pretty new and a friend recorded Ashes to Ashes and a bunch of us gathered at his house and watched it over and over.

I was in London for New Year's Eve '84 and I'm pretty darn sure I passed him going the opposite way on the sidewalk. He was in a loud and animated conversation with the dude he was walking with. As soon as they had passed my gf and I stopped in our tracks and gaped at each other, silently saying, "was that....!?!"

I would be hard pressed to come up with an artist who had a bigger affect on my life view.

Wham bam thank you ma'am indeed.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
His music has always been an staple for me. Pushed the limits professionally & personally I'm sorry I never had the chance to see him perform. RIP Ziggy.:(
If you think about the acts coming into the early to mid 70-s, there was a crowd of talent. Led Zeppelin and others came out of the UK and the Stones were still active. Then there were the Eagles, Steely Dan, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, a ton of one hitters, hell, just the Boston area spawned The Cars, Aerosmith, Talking Heads and Boston. If someone dressed like they came out of a Big Eight firm they probably wouldn't have made it out of the bars.

I seem to be losing many of my friends recently who got caught up in drugs, smoked, hadn't the best genes or some combination. One had the plug pulled just last night or maybe this morning. Smoked a lot. The healthier ones seem to be still going strong. Not saying DB got caught up but out of that ere had he not it would have been an anomoly.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I seem to be losing many of my friends recently who got caught up in drugs, smoked, hadn't the best genes or some combination. One had the plug pulled just last night or maybe this morning. Smoked a lot. The healthier ones seem to be still going strong. Not saying DB got caught up but out of that ere had he not it would have been an anomoly.

How do you explain Keith Richards?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How do you explain Keith Richards?
Keith died some time ago. Photos prove that... more than than they proved Paul Mc died. If I had more than 3 minutes left before skiing I'd post a few.

There are definitely some with offsetting genes. Steven Tyler and the Aerosmith guys are still walking around.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Listening to all my Bowie now. Here's my favorite:

Reactions: RNZ

James

Out There
Instructor
^^Late 80's, early 90's? Looks good there. Rockin' the Spaceman like Flexons in white and red. Stanley Kubrick would like those. Also looks to be comfortable on skis. Did he ski a lot?

Very sorry to hear this. Hugely influential in popular music and culture.
It's always amazing that at the height of the 70's and weirdness he did this with Bing Crosby. Crosby died a month later.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Listening to all my Bowie now. Here's my favorite:

It was supposed to say favorite tribute/parody. But thanks for the invisible mod who edited my post to fix the link!

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
omg, that photo. My first LP was Changes, a Christmas gift from my older sister. My friends and I would plan our strategies for meeting him, and we'd celebrate his birthday amongst ourselves. We had our minds blown by him, and it was worthwhile. RIP.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think back in the 80s most of my circle of friends at times dated Asian women partly because of his influence.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A good many of us spent time in the 70's and 80's going to concerts and I was not different. I saw David Bowie twice on his Serious Moonlight Tour, once in Philadelphia and also at Hershey Park where i believe they filmed the Let's Dance video. Bowie epitomized "Glitter Rock" from his Ziggy Stardust persona. I haven't heard his new album that was just released but I will look for it now. He will be missed.
I was at the Serious Moonlight Tour in Philly. Don't know how I missed Young Americans Tour, he recorded much of the LP at Sigma Sound in Philly. Was too young for Diamond Dogs Tour at the Tower Theater where he recorded David Live, dang it, I remember listening to "1984" and thinking it was so far away...and so it goes -

RIP David Jones

He's immortal now...

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid