• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Going all SPD, all the time, on all bikes

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How about Speedplay Frogs if you like the road pedals...they gum up with mud too easily and you can get bounced out of them too easily if you hit a rock/tree (I realise you aren't supposed to do that....)

I tried them. The random bounce out that occurred about once each ride was horrifying. They have a GREAT rep among lighter riders, but not so much with bigger guys (like me). Also, huge cleats to walk on.

Wonky

Booting up
Skier
Yeah...I MTB so infrequently these days that I can't justify another pair of shoes for another pedal system (KEOs for road, Frogs for 'cross/gravel, ? for MTB) so I persevere with the Frogs for MTB. I still have some old shoes kicking around so I may resurrect my old Time ATACs and see how that goes.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Old thread but... bought a road bike last year. Chose the SPD pedals cause the shoes looked like they might be easier to walk in. Got some Specialized Comp shoes cause that's all the shop had that fit me. Jeez, they are butt-freakin' ugly. Does anyone make anything remotely stylish? Or should I just switch to the road bike style pedals/shoes?

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Old thread but... bought a road bike last year. Chose the SPD pedals cause the shoes looked like they might be easier to walk in. Got some Specialized Comp shoes cause that's all the shop had that fit me. Jeez, they are butt-freakin' ugly. Does anyone make anything remotely stylish? Or should I just switch to the road bike style pedals/shoes?
My shimano shoes are just black. Nothing offensive.

My PD-ME700 finally came in for my road bike, so my spare PD-M520 pedals can become spares again

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As a Bikefitter, I do think there IS a reason (or two) to stick with road style pedals.:

1. Support. The larger platform and widely spaced engagement of a road pedal tends to have much better support for the foot. Stiff shoes alone do not solve that.

2. Fit adjustment. Road cleats allow for many more fit adjustments, like shims and wedges to be used.
The first issue can be partially overcome by mtb pedals with larger platforms, like the current enduro and DH ones. The problem there remains it is very dependent on the non standardized interface between shoe and pedal.

Speedplay Syzr pedals seek to address many of those issues, but they seem to be stalled in production.

I personally use mtb pedals on my gravel bike (don’t own a road bike anymore), so I see the benefits, but it not correct to say there are no drawbacks.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor

Shimano RX8

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Jeez, they are butt-freakin' ugly. Does anyone make anything remotely stylish? Or should I just switch to the road bike style pedals/shoes?

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/apparel-accessories/s-phyre/SH-XC901.html <-now also in wide last

(note that the fun colours go all the way down to the relatively budget MX176)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I used to be a big fan of Northwave back in the Cippo years, they haven't totally lost it.

Mavic also have some budgety options:

I am kinda lusting after those Jarins tho:

Seriously, there is absolutely no reason to stay in style jail.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Bike shoes are ugly.
That said, switch. More comfy underfoot. Just my opinion.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
As a Bikefitter, I do think there IS a reason (or two) to stick with road style pedals.:

1. Support. The larger platform and widely spaced engagement of a road pedal tends to have much better support for the foot. Stiff shoes alone do not solve that.

2. Fit adjustment. Road cleats allow for many more fit adjustments, like shims and wedges to be used.
The first issue can be partially overcome by mtb pedals with larger platforms, like the current enduro and DH ones. The problem there remains it is very dependent on the non standardized interface between shoe and pedal.

Speedplay Syzr pedals seek to address many of those issues, but they seem to be stalled in production.

I personally use mtb pedals on my gravel bike (don’t own a road bike anymore), so I see the benefits, but it not correct to say there are no drawbacks.
SPD with platforms also tends to weigh a lot, important if you're a OCD about the weight of your bike. Too bad Speedplay doesn't make the Candy's anymore with the plastic cage, but, there is a slight clearance between the engaged shoe and the cage, so you don't get the full support of the cage that you think you get.

But... walking is overrated. I have slipped on wooden stairs with Look cleats and Speedplay Zero cleats (before I discovered Keep on Covers (http://www.keeponcovers.com/Product.html)... not to mention, if I get the cleats dirty when I walk (such as grass, dirt, gravel), it makes clipping in harder to accomplish.... sort of what happens when you go to a stop to pee and refill on water.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Old thread but... bought a road bike last year. Chose the SPD pedals cause the shoes looked like they might be easier to walk in.

I bought a new road bike this summer (every 8 or 10 years, needed or not). Discovered that my beloved speedplays had a bum cleat, which didn't seem to be available for less than a king's ransom.

So I also went SPD road, and have no regrets -- though only 20% of my riding is on the road bike.

I'll never arrive at a remote ride again with the wrong shoes for the pedals that are attached to the bike.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought a new road bike this summer (every 8 or 10 years, needed or not). Discovered that my beloved speedplays had a bum cleat, which didn't seem to be available for less than a king's ransom.

So I also went SPD road, and have no regrets -- though only 20% of my riding is on the road bike.

I'll never arrive at a remote ride again with the wrong shoes for the pedals that are attached to the bike.
Can you clarify which pedals you have now? you Are saying you have the same on all bikes now? I assume all mtb pedals?

SPD is Shimano’s mtb pedal (small 2 bolt cleat). Other brands are similar.
SPD SL is Shimano’s road pedal (large 3 bolt cleat). Other brands are similar, except Speedplay (large 4 bolt “cleat”, actually the release mechanism is all in there, which is why the “cleat” is so expensive, it’s basically upside down form other pedals).

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for all the suggestions. In previous searches, I have found the best looking ones are $400 :geek: and also never seem to have my size. Given that even the best stocked shops in town rarely have any selection let alone my size, I will have to go the online order/return route to find something I like and that fits.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
As a bikefitter, go chat with Todd Carver and look at the research that he is doing.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Since we are all skiers here and most of us have feet that have been shaped by ski boots, I can speak to my pedal experiences.

When I moved to primarily road biking from MTB, I used SPD mountain-style cleats with a Shimano SPD pedal that was road bike oriented (i.e. one-sided). I used road shoes by Lake at the time, which were quite stiff.

Let's just say that even with stiff shoes and molded foot inserts in the shoes I still had terrible hotspots in the plantar fascia. The shoes fit well, no pinch points, and the small contact patch of the SPD pedals and cleats was still an issue.

I switched to a SPD-SL setup after a couple years and it was far, far better. Even with the same Lake shoes and custom insoles, the hotspots disappeared. Additionally, after my leg injuries the extra adjustability fore, aft, laterally, and shim-wise of the SPD-SL setup made re-fitting my bike far easier than SPD.

Yes, bike shoes can be a sight. But I'll choose function over fashion any day of the week when it's biomechanical and orthopedic comfort and efficiency on the line.

Just my $0.02 - YMMV.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Bike shoes are ugly.

You need to shop better :ogbiggrin: and the proof is:

zzCapture.JPG

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
At the beginning of this season, I purchased Shimano XTR SPD pedals from @Ron and they replaced a SPF Shimano road pedal that was about 10 years old. I do somewhere around 100 mi per week at very pedestrian speeds on a BMC road frame. I experienced no noticeable difference between the them in terms of foot comfort, but, I am not a road warrior as is @Rudi Reit. When Rudi speaks about biking, I listen (or read) with great attention.
I did notice, and appreciate very much, how much easier the XTR pedals are to both enter an exit. No play at all when pedaling, very easy to adjust laterally. :thumb::thumb:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah my rides are generally under three hours and I don't have any issues. Your mileage probably varies. :)

Sponsor