• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Going all SPD, all the time, on all bikes

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I did notice, and appreciate very much, how much easier the XTR pedals are to both enter an exit. No play at all when pedaling, very easy to adjust laterally. :thumb::thumb:

The XTR pedal is the best of the best in terms of SPD pedals. The design offsets the binding from the axle, allowing for a most powerful and stable pedaling position from the get-go. There's great lateral support for a MTB pedal on them as well (the XT pedals are similar in this regard). To wit: I run XTR pedals on my gravel bike and while they don't solve every issue I had with them on the road, they're comfortable over long-haul rides. Also: bearing quality on them (as with pretty much every Shimano pedal made) is extremely high.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can you clarify which pedals you have now? you Are saying you have the same on all bikes now? I assume all mtb pedals?

All two-bolt SPDs.

On the mtbs and gravel bike XTs.

On the road bike, the one-sided version of same, perhaps the PD-600.

They all work great (but Times are smoother!), but my shoes are STIFF. No hot spots ever.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Talking of Shimano MTB pedals, anyone have a stash of their clip-in platform adapters? Not the rectangular PD-22 demo ones but the bigger rounder ones?

Yes, I've smashed too many things this summer :(

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Can you point me in the right direction, my search produced little.

Masters in exercise physiology, or science. Co-founder of Retul. Has been involved, in some capacity, in many peer reviewed studies on cycling efficiency.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We need a thread "Going all flat, on all bikes, all the time" as this is the direction I have been steadily moving towards this year...:ogbiggrin:
Finding that Shimano makes wonderful cleat covers made the transition incredibly easy:

28874.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Talking of flat shoes, can someone explain the concept of higher cut on the medial side?

As in the Shimano SH GR9 ; Spesh 2FO ; Ride Concepts Powerline

Last edited:

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
My personal experience with SPD is as long as you got a stiff sole they are a perfectly fine and cheap solution for 90% of all applications. Once in a while I have issues when clicking in on the mountain bike in muddy conditions but wouldn't want to switch to eggbeaters.

I use them on the Gravel, Mountain bike and all-day roadie. For the higher end roadies I use Look Keos for the slightly better support and hold of the click mechanism (just my opinion though).

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Does anybody have a new set of Speedplay CLEATS to match up to X1 pedals. I'm too entrenched in switching over and I just bought another pair of shoes so I need to mount them to some new cleats.

Thanks, Larry

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anybody have a new set of Speedplay CLEATS to match up to X1 pedals. I'm too entrenched in switching over and I just bought another pair of shoes so I need to mount them to some new cleats.

Thanks, Larry
Suggest new thread or classifieds.