• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Goggles Keep Fogging up lately

Mike Faron

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey everyone,
I bought a pair of POC Fovea Clarity Comp AD Ed goggles last year and wore them 5 times at the end of last season and then 6 days last month (Jan 2020). They were great in all conditions...sun and snow days with fog at all temperatures. But then this last trip out west in January they started fogging up constantly on the 4th day. They were fine the first 3 days. I don't understand why. I contacted POC they told me it wasn't a warranty issue. I took the lens out and cleaned it. I had them stored indoors in my room overnight. They only way to get the fog to dissipate was to move them up onto my helmet for a min or two, but then the fog would return. I couldn't see and I'm not sure what's going on. Nothing changed with the way I was using them. I didn't have a gator tucked into it. It's one thing to have $25 goggles do that but another to have $200 goggles do that. Any thoughts? Any one else have this issue with higher end goggles?

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you have used them 3 days in a row are you storing them in the carry bag after they are wet with sweat or snow? Pull them out and let them air out if so.
I can only use a neck gaiter or beanie under helmet on the coldest days. When I get warm I run the risk of fogging so I start the day cold and warm up on the first couple runs.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The seal between the two lens elements is probably compromised. Replace the lens. I'm surprised POC wouldn't cover them. They did with mine

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Was the weather significantly changed from prior days of goggle use? For example, higher humidity, temperature higher, raining, mist, fog, wind, etc????

How about your clothes and body? Any differences there? (Hat or beanie or helmet? Hood/no-hood? Exertion due to climbing?

Those factor can have a big difference in fogging for goggles. I'd look first to the environmental changes rather than a goggle characteristic changing suddenly.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There's no difference between poc goggles and $40 Chinese ones.

But, if you use them in a wet snowy day, you need to dry then thoroughly

TS
M

Mike Faron

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
There really wasn't a difference in environmental conditions that's why I was not understanding why they were fogging up.

I'm not a goggle expert and maybe it's true that $40 Chinese goggles don't differ from the POC ones, but I source goods from China and know from personal experience that quality can vary greatly depending on a manufacture run or factory. Maybe the POC's are made in China who knows, I didn't look into it.

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Did it start after cleaning the inside?
I've heard the inner lens on some goggles have an anti-fog coating that wipes off if you clean them too aggressively.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
What zz said, and...

Mike, were you dressed differently? Did you sweat more? Wearing glasses when you didn't before? Different helmet? The helmets with the brim and the vents above the brim draw air through the goggles and keep them clear.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid