• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm trying to work around a problem that may apply only to a few of us. I've seen one other skier here comment on it.

In dense cloud I see blotches in my vision that greatly interfere with seeing what little there can be seen. Rose tint lenses are the worst for me with big fairly dense rose color blotches in my vision. Yellow lenses show smaller and less dense blotches, but they're still there. I've seen this with Oakley Prizm and Smith ChromaPop. My ophthalmologist says that it is an artifact from my low level macular degeneration--no problem except maybe skiing in that fog. I'm not sure this is correct, but I don't have a better idea. Anyone else working with these blotches on a very foggy day?

A couple of years ago a buddy let my try his Spy goggles with their Happy green lens on a cloudy day. The contrast was excellent, and I didn't really get to try them in fog for the blotch effect. Green is pretty much opposite red on the color wheel, so if yellow causes me less problem than rose, maybe green will be even better. Spy, a Bollé brand, will have their latest and greatest technology, Happy Boost out soon (claims deeper colors while maintaining white balance, and still great contrast, https://www.spyoptic.com/happy-boost ) Stuck for other ideas, I may give their Happy Boost Low Light Gray Green lens a try.

1663460923246.png

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Stuck for other ideas
Uvex Colorvision green? (VLT 20 something, tone slightly towards yellow)
Vola green? (VLT 72)
Shred CBL green? (cat 3, cat2)
Uvex Radar? (gray-green, cat 2)
Salice Jolly? (green-gold, cat 2, cat4)
Dragon blue? (VLT 62)
Uvex blue? (VLT 30 something)

Last edited:

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Zirbl, thanks for the ideas, but I want cat S1 (foggy days) with more than 50% visible light transmission. Also, many of those brands aren't sold here in the U.S. Some may be under a different brand name from the same corporate group, but these can be difficult to track down. (The tint shown in Dragon Green Ion but with greater VLT is my target.)

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Zirbl, thanks for the ideas, but I want cat S1 (foggy days) with more than 50% visible light transmission. Also, many of those brands aren't sold here in the U.S. Some may be under a different brand name from the same corporate group, but these can be difficult to track down. (The tint shown in Dragon Green Ion but with greater VLT is my target.)
Ah, sorry. Don't Electric do what you're after? Based in California?
Don't think Dragon Green Ion has green base tint anyhow, unless they've changed something.
If you get the Spy grey-green, I'd be interested to read how you get on with it.

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
Have you thought about calling one of the MFG's and asking tech support, what they recommend. It's just a phone call, I would think you could find the toll free # somewhere.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have contacted SPY, and they wished me luck. We'll see. I'll try a pair of their Happy Low Light Gray Green lens soon. I'll report on my results.

I have seen other postings about blobs in the vision on foggy days. For me it is worse with rose lenses and less with yellow lenses. I've looked through the SPY Happy green lens before and liked how it boosted contrast. I'm not sure about the cause of the blobs. My ophthalmologist says that it is due to my early-stage macular degeneration, but she's not a skier, she's a surfer.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have contacted SPY, and they wished me luck. We'll see. I'll try a pair of their Happy Low Light Gray Green lens soon. I'll report on my results.

I have seen other postings about blobs in the vision on foggy days. For me it is worse with rose lenses and less with yellow lenses. I've looked through the SPY Happy green lens before and liked how it boosted contrast. I'm not sure about the cause of the blobs. My ophthalmologist says that it is due to my early-stage macular degeneration, but she's not a skier, she's a surfer.
I use "Clear" lenses most days here on the east coast now. As we age, Wifey and I seem to be drifting towards our Smith Clear replacement lenses (cheap!) . On sunny days East we have our Chromapop Storm Yellow replacement lenses installed on a different set of goggles. Compared to living out west it never gets super bright here in the far northeast, even on bluebird days. I have darker lenses for use out west but even then, no lower than 50% VLT. I have much darker but they never get used as they make everything too dark for my tastes.

We installed the updated Chromapop lenses in our older goggles. We each had multiple sets of the older goggles that we found on clearance. Then we just updated the lenses. So we don't have to change out lenses, we each have one set marked "Dark" (Storm Yell) and the other marked "Clear". We both grab the Clear more than 95% of the time.

The only time we have to change lenses is for trips west. We switch out the clear lens for a slightly darker chromapop than the Storm Yellow....

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I use "Clear" lenses most days here on the east coast now. As we age, Wifey and I seem to be drifting towards our Smith Clear replacement lenses (cheap!) . On sunny days East we have our Chromapop Storm Yellow replacement lenses installed on a different set of goggles. Compared to living out west it never gets super bright here in the far northeast, even on bluebird days. I have darker lenses for use out west but even then, no lower than 50% VLT. I have much darker but they never get used as they make everything too dark for my tastes.

We installed the updated Chromapop lenses in our older goggles. We each had multiple sets of the older goggles that we found on clearance. Then we just updated the lenses. So we don't have to change out lenses, we each have one set marked "Dark" (Storm Yell) and the other marked "Clear". We both grab the Clear more than 95% of the time.

The only time we have to change lenses is for trips west. We switch out the clear lens for a slightly darker chromapop than the Storm Yellow....

Have never used a clear lens. I find the Smith Storm Pro (50% VLT) pretty good for storm days. The yellow (65% VLT) lets in too glare for my eyes.
My everyday lens from Smith is a red or green Chromo Pop mirror lens with VL around 25%. Lens with VLT <15% are usually reserved for bright spring days at PT or Mammoth.

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
I've been using a 22% VLT lens for the last two seasons, and it has always been dicey on gray days, so I ordered a 50% VLT. I think it will be worth it.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Visible Light Transmission (VLT) levels are totally personal. Most use clear only for night skiing and motorcycle riding on muddy trails. A friend uses a very light lens all the time. Another friend uses a fairly dense lens all the time. I just ordered goggles with 12% & 54% lenses. I need the higher VLT lens on cloudy days and the lower VLT lens for sun. I haven't tried the newest photochromic lenses. I know that they darken or lighten faster than they did in the past, but I'm not sure it would be fast enough when skiing from sun to shade. I know that from about age 40 my eyes contract and dilate more slowly.

Sponsor