• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
All most all the goggle makers have new technology lenses. These new-tech lenses are claimed to improve contrast, improve color rendition, and likely improve profit margins. Look for a new added name on the lenses and higher prices. And...I think they do work better than the old lenses. Dragon has Lumalens. Smith has Chromapop. Oakley has Prizm. Scott has Illuminator. Givi has VIVID & Anon has SONAR, both claimed to have Zeiss technology. Spy has Happy. There are more. They probably all come out of the same Chinese factory.
"LUMALENS® is a color optimized lens technology offering ultra high-definition optics across the entire spectrum of light conditions. Engineered to optimize and improve visibility in all environments, Dragon's exclusive LUMALENS® Technology delivers enhanced color vividness, increased contrast, precise depth perception, and reduces eye fatigue for optimal performance"
http://www.dragonalliance.com/en-us/lumalens

I like these lenses! :thumb::thumb: I have the Lumalens Blue Ionized lens for mixed sun days, 15% visible light transmittance (VLT), and the Lumalens Amber for cloudy days, 35% VLT. This amber is the best I've had yet to pick up the contrast on a flat light day.

This Lumalens lens works better for my eyes that the Oakley Rose Prizm. Good luck picking out a goggle maker, frame style, strap color, lens density, lens color (Dragon offers ten Lumalenses, ten color & density combinations)--many makers package one or two lenses in the box, but the lenses included will be different color and density depending on the model or the frame color.

I got the Dragon NFX2 frame. Cylindrical lens, medium-large size, maybe the lens won't scratch as easily as a spherical lens. It is a good fit for me under my Smith helmet. Excellent ventilation--the first goggles I've felt air flow when I'm zipping along. The strap is barely long enough for my large Smith helmet. The lens is easily changed with a latch on each side of the frame. This latch needs to be clicked all the way down or the lens easily comes out--no problem when I do it right.

Budget suggestion: if you have frames you like, and you know the make & model of the frames, just buy a new-tech lens.
http://store.prolens.com/snow-goggles-replacement-lenses-c32.aspx

Bone to pick: Do any goggle makers sell replacement straps? I know Smith and Oakley don't--I've asked. Stretch out the strap, and you get to buy new goggles. I did find some cheapo Smiths on sale with the same strap style as my good Smiths, bought them and harvested the strap, but that can't be counted on.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Bone to pick: Do any goggle makers sell replacement straps? I know Smith and Oakley don't--I've asked. Stretch out the strap, and you get to buy new goggles. I did find some cheapo Smiths on sale with the same strap style as my good Smiths, bought them and harvested the strap, but that can't be counted on.

I just had to do this fro my husband - found some relatively cheap Smith frames on eBay. The issue is I don't want used frames because I don't know how stretched out the strap is or how degraded the foam is. So he's getting a lens he doesn't need, since we're tied to the Smith system. Oh well.

Fofo

Enjoying the mountain views
Skier
I just got these Dragon NFX2 goggles and I used them this past weekend. Great goggles! Nice upgrade from my old Bolle. I like that changing lenses is really easy if conditions change quickly during the day, and they come with a really nice protective case.

Really comfortable (I almost forgot that I had them on), great color rendition, and they fit my Giro Nine helmet really well.