• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Goggle / helmet problem

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Question regarding problem I have been having.

Use Smith IO goggles for years and like very much. Wife bought me the new ChromaPop goggles last year and I love lenses but have this problem. Goggles are taller than any goggle I haves ever used and my Smith helmet pushes down on the goggle and shuts off my nose breathing in different degrees. I have adjusted helmet and have no been able to eradicate this happening.

I can buy a new helmet or new goggles but of course don't want to. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution. The Chroma pop us vertically wider/higher than any old goggle I have.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Which model goggle with Chroma Pop lenses do you have? They have a few different models, some of which (IO/X and IO/7) are on the larger side.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There are four different models in the Smith I/O line. They are all different in both sizes and fit.
In ascending sizes order - I/O s, I/O, I/O 7, I/O X.
The lens are not inter-changeable between models.
The I/O model you have is probably the original model.

Chroma Pop only refers to the lens material and not the goggle model.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That is the new style man you just have to get used to it. You need goggles so big you look like a fighter pilot these days.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
The solution for oversized goggles not being compatible with helmets, according to to the marketing department at Von Zipper, is to “rock them with a beanie”.

“Helmet Compatible” does not mean that your goggles will fit your face when worn with a helmet. It just means that the strap is attached to the front of the lens frame and not the rear.

So, no, no solution.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
thanks for confirming my suspicions

The problem is Smith uses a horse as a model. I have over the glasses turbo fan goggles. They scrunch my nose, but it's worth it to be able to see where I'm going. I've tried them with every Smith helmet I could find, no solution.

Does anyone know if a helmet maker makes a helmet with a larger open face area than Smith.?

Sponsor

Staff online