• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Glove Recommendations?

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
282-03.jpg
Showa Japanese work gloves, waterproof, breathable, get em one size large and use a thin liner.
I see more and more people climbing winter alpine routes in these in recent years. I think it all started with Colin Haley's blog on his Begguya climb. I saw people wearing down at Mt Washington for skiing and climbing.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
The parollers I know all get their glov es at the hardware store, or they wear Kincos. Hestra copies of Kincos if you need to spenf more.
FWIW if your hands are cold you need to dress warmer. No gloves will keep your hands warm if your head is cold.

dm

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
I see more and more people climbing winter alpine routes in these in recent years. I think it all started with Colin Haley's blog on his Begguya climb. I saw people wearing down at Mt Washington for skiing and climbing.
Interesting, Colin Haley is a longtime friend. My knowledge of the gloves comes from the Japanese alpine community, they've been using them for a couple of decades.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The parollers I know all get their glov es at the hardware store, or they wear Kincos. Hestra copies of Kincos if you need to spenf more.
FWIW if your hands are cold you need to dress warmer. No gloves will keep your hands warm if your head is cold.

dm
Nailed it.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Black Diamond Guide for me, been great - tough, warm, long-lasting. Just fading away now after 5-6 seasons. They took some time to break in but have been loyal companions - there are few things as satisfying in life as pulling on a high quality leather ski glove that's moulded to your hand and heading out into a storm.

Have been looking at Hestra Vertical Cut CZone as a replacement but hadn't come across FTP....I like their pricing so will give some a go.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Have been looking at Hestra Vertical Cut CZone as a replacement but hadn't come across FTP....I like their pricing so will give some a go.
One of the things that make Hestra gloves long lasting is the models that use goat leather (Army Leather Heli) which is more durable than cow leather. Removable liners are also a very big bonus, imo.

OTOH the Free The Powder glove has a very attractive price even if they don't last as long.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
One of the things that make Hestra gloves long lasting is the models that use goat leather (Army Leather Heli) which is more durable than cow leather. Removable liners are also a very big bonus, imo.

OTOH the Free The Powder glove has a very attractive price even if they don't last as long.

Thanks @DanoT that is good to know. Benefit of Hestra is I can get them in NZ so no problems with sizing. Any thoughts on the FTP mitts from a warmth perspective? Have been considering a mitt for colder days (fingers getting colder as I get older) but don't know if an FTP mitt will be warmer than, for example a Hestra Vert Cut/BD guide glove?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Mitt vs glove is more of a personal preference thing. I like the dexterity of a glove, while a mitten with a trigger finger does somewhat address that.

A thin extra liner works well with glove or mitt on a really cold day. Merino wool is great. Silk feels great but the less expensive synthetic liners with metallic threads out preform silk in the cold.

Electric liners are the best but very expensive and used in replace of the removable felt or heavy wool liner. For those with chronic cold hands the rechargeable battery electric liner is kinda like a Dyson portable vacuum: Overpriced but worth it.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Thanks @DanoT that is good to know. Benefit of Hestra is I can get them in NZ so no problems with sizing. Any thoughts on the FTP mitts from a warmth perspective? Have been considering a mitt for colder days (fingers getting colder as I get older) but don't know if an FTP mitt will be warmer than, for example a Hestra Vert Cut/BD guide glove?
FTP are very warm. Too warm for me in fact in the spring. They are good quality.

That said, Hestra are awesome gloves as well and a bit higher quality. When you factor in you get 6 years use out of them if you're not using things like rope tows or pomma lifts, the Hestra glove isn't all that expensive though spread out over all that time. And not sure you can even get FTP in NZ without spending a fortune on shipping. So I'd stick with Hestra in NZ. Hestra makes a great mitt you'd like.

Last edited:

GPetes

Booting up
Skier
My Hestra Heli 3-fingers don't seem to be keeping my hands as warm after three seasons of patrolling (plus theres some small holes). Any recommendations for new gloves? My backup Black Diamond Dirt Bag gloves do alright but I prefer longer gauntlets to cover my wrists. Thanks!
Have you looked into a company called Baist

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I see more and more people climbing winter alpine routes in these in recent years.

They have a mountain version now too. Comes with a cuff with a cord lock, which also allows you to attach idiot cords.
Unfortunately, they are black. I would have loved the bright blue, easy to find in the dark and in my glove bin or backpack.

5DB86949-03F6-4178-BEA7-765383C77E4C.jpeg

If I was a patroller, I would grab 2 pairs of these, for wet days. Switching them out as they become damp inside

James

Out There
Instructor
if an FTP mitt will be warmer than, for example a Hestra Vert Cut/BD guide glove?
I would think so. Never tried the FTP, had the Hestra till I left them on a bus skiing. I’ve never found Hestra to be terribly warm. I had the race glove and the Alpine whatever that’s the same as the Vert Cut save the cuff. I won a pair of Hestra lobster claw mitts, gave them to someone who's always cold. They’ve dissapeared and were deemed not warm enough when I asked years later.
My favorite Hestra is my spring Seth Morrison glove. Very nice.

For NZ I’d try the FlyLow Ridge glove made out of pigskin which is supposed to be tougher.
For warm mitts, their Unicorn mitt, or Super mitt. Super has more insulation. 360 gms vs 320gms.

Honestly, for warmth I’d try either of those two over any Hestra mitt, and they’re 1/2 the price. I try Hestras on in the store all the time. Never been impressed for warmth. I really want to like the Hestras too. But, others may differ.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have both Hestra (lobster claw) and FTP (lobster claw and a regular glove - both with the long cuffs). I think the FTP are warmer. Hestras are more comfortable and not as stiff. Both good gloves - and in my experience so far the FTP‘s are wearing as well as the Hestras.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I have Hestra lobster glove with lobster claw liner from FTP. Liners are warmer and more durable than the Hestras, for me.

My gloves for 80% of the time are Wells Lamot gloves. Same as Kincos. Easier to find not always cheaper. Though more places are carrying Kincos locally.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hestra for dexterity.
Kinco for the bank account

James

Out There
Instructor
The Fly Lows are the same price as the Wells Lamont. At least in the store. Supposedly fly low heats in Nikwax.

Pure rubber or other impermeable outet layer gloves are great in rain but goodness do they smell.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Fly Lows are the same price as the Wells Lamont. At least in the store. Supposedly fly low heats in Nikwax.
I’m pretty sure Kinco 901s come factory Sno-Sealed now.

Pure rubber or other impermeable outet layer gloves are great in rain but goodness do they smell.
Heh. Sometimes patrol locker rooms get pretty ripe. One more stink generator will probably go unnoticed. But I don’t think I’d want to work in rubber gloves. It was weird enough wearing medical gloves on incidents.

James

Out There
Instructor
But I don’t think I’d want to work in rubber gloves.
Cause you’re in the dry country!
I gave up on every “waterproof” learher glove. Yes, some with the bag in it work well. Then they weigh 5 pounds. Others like that Bazooka from MH don’t. The thing is when you start touching things it gets difficult to keep water out.

The stench transfers to your hands! I now try to use glove liners.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Give'r 4-season gloves or Frontier mittens. I have their classic gloves (the lightweight ones) which I use aw work gloves and they are awesome. Like a good baseball glove they just get ore comfortable over time.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January