• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Glove Recommendations?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
My Hestra Heli 3-fingers don't seem to be keeping my hands as warm after three seasons of patrolling (plus theres some small holes). Any recommendations for new gloves? My backup Black Diamond Dirt Bag gloves do alright but I prefer longer gauntlets to cover my wrists. Thanks!

BD Mercury mitts for cold days and the DB glove for warm days.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Hestra offers wool liners as a replacement upgrade to their felt liners which do pack out somewhat with use.

Silk or thin merino wool or a wool blend liners work well if you have room inside a glove or mitt, but the cheaper thin metallic thread liners work the best.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have 1 pair of Hestra lobster claws. I also have Free The Powder lobster claws and 5 fingers. Love my Hestras but when they wear out I doubt I will replace them. My FTP’s are great and cheaper.

TS
Arnie

Arnie

Booting up
Skier
Industry Insider
I used the new FTP gloves while patrolling this past week and they worked fine, kept my hands warm and dry in the slush and handled the fences/farm work well. Seems like a great deal at the Patroller price.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
gloves.jpg

Gordini Leather Goose III-Kinda spendy but worth it. 70% goose 30% duck feathers with zipper pouches for heaters- these are 10 years old and still holding up- a little packed out but still keep my hands warm- have tried lots of others-any gloves with fabric on the back of hands (kincos) let wind thru and heat out. One of my hands has been burned and many fingers on both broken over the years- very cold sensitive- these work for me.

OldJarhead

Putting on skis
Skier
exp.png

Swany Toaster Mittens. There is a glove inside the mitten where you can put a hand warmer. They are VERY warm. I have never had to put a hand warmer thing in the mitten, but I have one in my jacket. The Mittens sell for $65 on Amazon. I paid about $100 at Breck last year - my gloves just didn't work anywhere near what the mittens do.

Chris Axebiker

Recovering Meadowskipper
Skier
I’ve used Kincos for a decade. I have two pair I rotate. They are still warm, in good condition, and shed snow thanks to Sno-Seal. Price is right as well.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I seem to wear out the the thumb and first finger. Coiling ropes I suppose.

The high priced gloves and mitts don't hold up as well as the Kinkos. The Save-thePowder are as good or better.

By the way, Kinko have a rather large assortment of styles, I get mine from Gemplers

Knit wrists.

I keep a second (or third) pair over the heater at the summit and change out every cycle on cold days.

udailey

Browsing Garage sale and eBay
Skier
I only wear leather mittens. They have a wool lining that feels like felt. Then a thin sirus glove inside with a hot hands hand warmer. Always happy with this combo.

Kindbuzz

Booting up
Skier
I love the kincos down to to about 25. Anything colder than that my 6 year old OR. Revolutions have not let me down

however age related circulation and a need for under the cuff pair have me eyeing the FTP three finger . The Baist brand looks interesting as well. Although their three finger seems to only come in an over the cuff design

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Their leather treatment smells really good. Mice think so too. I had a mouse chew through a boot bag, then through a helmet bag inside, then through the zip lock where the FTP treatment was. Left a little pile of seeds. Very detrmined creatures.
Well, this is good to know as @utskier just ordered their leather treatment for the FTP gloves he just got. He really, really likes the gloves after using Hestra for years. The reinforced palm, the dexterity, and the waterproofing they come standard with are all outstanding.

I'll make sure the leather treatment is kept under his pillow.

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
My wife and I each have a pair of surplus US Air Force mittens that we wear whenever cold is an issue. I think they were left over from WW ll Bomber Command. Never, ever have cold hands plus lots of positive comments especially from cold lifties. "Where can I get those"
1578978664731.png

Last edited:

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
another +1 for Free The Powder. Buy extra liners to quickly swap out if hands get wet.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well, this is good to know as @utskier just ordered their leather treatment for the FTP gloves he just got. He really, really likes the gloves after using Hestra for years. The reinforced palm, the dexterity, and the waterproofing they come standard with are all outstanding.

I'll make sure the leather treatment is kept under his pillow.

I totally agree. My FTP's are warmer (for me) than my Hesta's were.

freeskier1961

still aspiring
Skier
I have the newer OR Capstones, never cold fingers great glove $$ lifetime warranty if memory serves

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
My wife and I each have a pair of surplus US Air Force mittens that we wear whenever cold is an issue. I think they were left over from WW ll Bomber Command. Never, ever have cold hands plus lots of positive comments especially from cold lifties. "Where can I get those"
View attachment 90008
The Army has these as well with a shooting (index) finger. Very warm. We can find them all day long at the local Army Surplus store.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I never understand why anyone who has problems with fingers getting cold don’t just look for good mittens. All I use... ski 90% of the time with convertible mittens because they are so warm and I also can get at things easy.

Sponsor

Staff online