• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Glove Quivers

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I am sure I am not the only gear whore who has a glove quiver. Whats your glove quiver and what does each do for you. The other glove thread made me think thiswould be a good idea.

Rubber Insulated Electricians Gloves cost $15
E0011R.jpg

Waterproof the only glove I have had that is actually waterproof, the fleece insulation on the inside keep sweet down and cold rain or wet snowy days your hands will stay dry.

Flylow John Henry Gloves $15-30 dollars

johnhenry-natural_1.png

all leather light weight spring glove, really dextrous and really tough. never buy another spring glove again.

Flylow Ridge Glove $40 bucks but can be had much cheaper.

NA.jpg

like hardware store glove but already baked with Snoseal. They last forever assuming you leather balm them. I use them for skiing, working, and walking the dogs. Decently warm, super tough, but not at all water proof.

Flylow Upslope glove $70 dollars retail.

flylow-upslope-gloves-black.jpg

Goat leather, super supple, really tough, actually fairly warm and more waterproof than any glove I have ever had but the rubber gloves. You can find them cheap and they rock.

Hestra Seth crab claws $130

hestra-seth-morrison-3-finger-navy-turquoise_1024x1024.jpg

Steezy, tough, leather is tough, but honestly not much warmer than the upslopes, and not waterproof, and also not as breathable as the flylows gloves. good at punching tree branches out of the way with padded knuckles. Kind of rip off other wise.

Goridini Polar mitts

BK.jpg

Very warm and cozy. So far durability has been good. Breathable and these are easy off an on, even if your hand is wet.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Pretty much just Hestra heli mitts and Astis mitts for me .. for cold days and even colder days ;-)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Nice stash Josh!

I have one pair of super thick, warm with long cuffs in black, forget the brand (Marmont?), haven't worn them in a couple years. I have average weight from a couple different decent manufacturers/brands in different color schemes to match different ski jackets/pants/skis. Does that make me a metrosexual skier? Before you answer, both pairs of boots are grey..

When it comes to not just ski gear I have several different pairs of nice leather and work gloves, black, brown, tan, and several pairs of semi torn up everyday driving and work gloves.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My glove/mitten quiver-

image.jpeg

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
@Josh Matta , your other half was wearing what looked like fleece-lined dish-washing gloves at one point. They looked awesome for skiing on r--- days. What were those things? Is that what the "Rubber Insulated Electricians Gloves" were?

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
@Josh Matta , your other half was wearing what looked like fleece-lined dish-washing gloves at one point. They looked awesome for skiing on r--- days. What were those things? Is that what the "Rubber Insulated Electricians Gloves" were?

yep do you want a pair? Stowe Hardware should have them, they are fairly cheap.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
yep do you want a pair? Stowe Hardware should have them, they are fairly cheap.

Cool thanks... I'll take a look next time I'm in town. I usually wind up with soaking wet gloves once or twice a season. I like my Hestra's, but they take forever to dry out. For $15, it seems like a worthwhile investment.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

L to R ; Top to Bottom

Level over mitts
LEKI work glove
Hestra fall line
Marmot ice climbing
Reusch GSx2, SG & DH

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
image.jpeg

Beginning at top:

Gordimi CMH. Requires frequent waxing. Use only at CMH.
Dakine Highline. One of my favorite gloves ever. Unfortunately I lost the left glove in a parking lot somewhere. If anyone finds it please let me know.
Hestra Lobster. Go to on cold days.
Not pictured. - second pair of Hestra Lobsters. Bought them when I showed up for work without gloves.
Dakine Something Or Others. Bought them when I lost the Dakine referenced above. Great glove, great value. Would not hesitate to buy more Dakine.
Mountain Hardware warm day gloves. No leather, highly waterproof, do the job.
Smart wool Natural Thermos. Worst gloves ever made. Unbendable, can't be broken in, cold. I keep them in case I ever run out of toilet paper.
Free The Powder Short. Nice gloves produced here locally. Good value.
Flexor Down circa 1998. (2 pr.) Best I've ever owned. Crazy warm but good in a wide range of temps. Obviously extremely durable. One of my sons friends left the pair on the right outside for a couple of months. I found them after the spring thaw. Still work great.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
View attachment 1920
Beginning at top:

Gordimi CMH. Requires frequent waxing. Use only at CMH.
Dakine Highline. One of my favorite gloves ever. Unfortunately I lost the left glove in a parking lot somewhere. If anyone finds it please let me know.
Hestra Lobster. Go to on cold days.
Not pictured. - second pair of Hestra Lobsters. Bought them when I showed up for work without gloves.
Dakine Something Or Others. Bought them when I lost the Dakine referenced above. Great glove, great value. Would not hesitate to buy more Dakine.
Mountain Hardware warm day gloves. No leather, highly waterproof, do the job.
Smart wool Natural Thermos. Worst gloves ever made. Unbendable, can't be broken in, cold. I keep them in case I ever run out of toilet paper.
Free The Powder Short. Nice gloves produced here locally. Good value.
Flexor Down circa 1998. (2 pr.) Best I've ever owned. Crazy warm but good in a wide range of temps. Obviously extremely durable. One of my sons friends left the pair on the right outside for a couple of months. I found them after the spring thaw. Still work great.
Omg- I have new flexions in attic!!!

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Kinco 901s - most work (patrol) days
Cloudveil Trollers - warmer work days
Free The Powders, cuffed - cold work days
Black Diamond Guides - f'n cold!
Smartwool Alpines - freeskiing days
Hestra Guide - not so warm backcountry days
Outdoor Research Vert - cool spring touring
Leather hardware store gloves - warm spring touring
Black Diamond Dirtbags - snowblowering and spring resort skiing, just got them recently

I've got more, but I'm kind of embarrassed to list them.

James

Out There
Instructor
Cool thanks... I'll take a look next time I'm in town. I usually wind up with soaking wet gloves once or twice a season. I like my Hestra's, but they take forever to dry out. For $15, it seems like a worthwhile investment.

Doubt they're electrical gloves as those have to be rated and are easily $60+ a pair. Nevertheless rubber or pvc is the thing in the liquid powder. Membrane gloves just fail when grabbing wet objects. A lobsterman pvc glove or something like this is good:
41kAUosYH6L.jpg

Atlas 460 Glove

If you get the hardware store dipped in rubber glove with a short cotton cuff which has a thin lining- they work fine for liquid snow but will start to smell after a while. Maybe wearing a liner would help.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Spring glove:

BD801857NTRLLG_1_large.jpg

Non-spring mitten:

GRE.jpg

Bonus, the flylow mitts were free (sweet door prize at a film showing) and actually are fairly warm. They really are a great underrated brand when it comes to gloves and mitts.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a photo somewhere of all the gloves and mittens I fished out of my bag one day, but I can't find it. Anyway, most of those have changed since then.

Flylow Ridge Glove

flylow-ridge-gloves-natural.jpg

I love these things, and use them for everything from warmish skiing to just regular wear. End of last season I bought the blue and green versions, for about $12 a pair; haven't needed to use them yet.

Hestra Fall Line mitten

images

Hestra Winstedt mitten

GN.jpg

These are similar. Both bought from STP for super cheap ... not really worth the full price, but I love them. They have replaced gloves for me on most days, because they are super dextrous even for mittens, and warmer than gloves.

Some of my jacket sleeves need gauntlets, and I use Hestra Heli 3-fingers for that. Have replaced these liners a few times, but they are reliable.

HestraHeli3FingerGlove-2.jpg

For super cold days I use the Free the Powder mittens.

free-the-powder-mitten_grande.jpg

I don't really have good waterproof ones anymore, but I have some packed out OG BD Guide gloves, gore tex, that work for that. I wanted to replace the liners, but they cost twice as much as I paid for the gloves, so ... nah.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Doubt they're electrical gloves as those have to be rated and are easily $60+ a pair. Nevertheless rubber or pvc is the thing in the liquid powder. Membrane gloves just fail when grabbing wet objects. A lobsterman pvc glove or something like this is good:
41kAUosYH6L.jpg

Atlas 460 Glove

If you get the hardware store dipped in rubber glove with a short cotton cuff which has a thin lining- they work fine for liquid snow but will start to smell after a while. Maybe wearing a liner would help.

That is actually what I have^^. I couldnt find the picture of them.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
I picked up these Swany mittens in a bind...They have been my go to glove for 4 years now.
swany-mens-x-change-mittens-386.jpg

When they are wet or it's a tiny bit warmer and dry i reach for these hestra's:

6ad9500e0c52ad36ce7ecbeafb0516b2.jpeg

In the spring i'm in these un insulated mitt with glove liners:

dakine-tracer-mitt-gloves-1213-strata-037e99057e907b0dc25de6fb79c1b0b5.jpg

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Now we are talking - yes, yes I do have a glove quiver. From Kinco (3 pair) to Fllyows (2 Pair with cloth and all leather), to Stio to Hestra (VCF, XCR, some spring gloves, Seth's, 3 finger and then Heli gloves). I like gloves.

Sponsor

Staff online