• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Two years ago was a fantastic season in the Sierra. Crazy amount of snow. Last year, not so much but better than many. The Ikon Pass is new. Boot soles that aren't compatible with all bindings, bindings that aren't compatible with all boot soles. More narrower skis, more mid-widths that are doing more, better.

The Epic gathering in Tahoe a number of years ago was some of the best skiing I've ever had. It wasn't blower pow, but I remember comments that it was drier snow than typical and it skied wonderfully. I would love to be able to get back out to Tahoe soon.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What?!!! What's going on with the compatibility issues? What changed? Skiers that know me, will know that I'm a fan of going narrower (and with deep sidecuts)... :)
Read this: The Numbers Game: Bindings Part 3. There are some new sole options for boots now that are not so much game changers but adding a level of confusion to the decision making process. Here is a breakdown of the compatability of the current bindings:
screen-shot-2018-10-10-at-2-41-15-pm-png.55444

TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thanks Phil. I'm actually glad I missed the WTR "push" and it looks like the dust is settling towards GripWalk. Glad to see there are options from Tyrolia with the PRD bindings that are GripWalk/WTR compatible. Those bindings were already my preference.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
...I guess I've been here and been out of it. What is WTR? What does "DIN only" mean? So glad I'm not in the market.

WTR = Walk-to-Ride (please see Phil's link to The Numbers Game Part 3 above and Part 2)
DIN Only = The original ski boot sole standard we've all been using for years and years until the trend of more skiers wanting boots that are easier to walk and hike in

TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
So far I feel like I'm drinking from a fire hose and I've barely started this process. I last touched snow on skis on 3/22/2015. I'm truly amazed at how much has changed since then and I'm sure I've barely scratched the surface...

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
screen-shot-2018-10-10-at-2-41-15-pm-png.55444
[/QUOTE]

Talked to the Salomon rep yesterday and he said the STH2 WTR bindings just got certified for Gripwalk very recently.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, doesn't that call into question just about every principle I hold about Top 10-list type content.

Time for me to drop all thought of higher levels and write for reality dating shows, I think.

I think he meant to say, he admires the evocative power of your poetic brevity.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm truly amazed at how much has changed since then and I'm sure I've barely scratched the surface...

Some superficial things have changed, but not much, Sure there is the latest new ski or boot or binding, but nothing game changing since 2015..

Snow is still white and slippery, gravity still plays a major roll. The big stuff hasn't changed

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
So far I feel like I'm drinking from a fire hose and I've barely started this process. I last touched snow on skis on 3/22/2015. I'm truly amazed at how much has changed since then and I'm sure I've barely scratched the surface...

Not much has changed. You still lean right on your left ski to go right and lean left on your right ski to go left. Lifts still take you up, gravity still takes you down. Snow still varies from ice to packed to powder. Ski girls still look nice on the hill and in the lodge....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Talked to the Salomon rep yesterday and he said the STH2 WTR bindings just got certified for Gripwalk very recently.[/QUOTE]

Color me surprised....NOT. I have tested Gripwalk soles on Sth2's and they torqued perfect. All I will say past that is, it's about damn time.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Light weight skis are not just for light weight skiers anymore.
Boots are getting lighter too.
There is a never need to wax again coating available that others know a lot more about than I.
Gatherings are on a rotating schedule, but again others know more about it than I.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Oh yeah... if the planned rotation holds, the Gatherings will be :

2019 : Big Sky
2020 : Jackson Hole
2021 : Aspen
2022 : Utah
2023 : Big Sky
etc., etc.