• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Giving Blood to the American Red Cross

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
@RiderRay It is an open ended inferred question don't remember which but it reads along the lines of, 'is there any reason that you should not be donating blood today..........'. 2 brother-in-laws, a sister-in-law, and a pack of nieces and nephews have all run up on this issue. Wife and our kids all tested negative for it thank goodness.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
As long as we're telling stories.... I have difficult to find veins, so sometimes it's hard to get the blood flowing if the needle isn't just right. Anyway, I was giving blood at a work blood drive first thing in the morning, and after 15 seconds or so, the blood stopped. So the tech went to move the needle a bit to get things flowing again, and accidentally pulled it out barely too far, holding the vein open and splattering me all over wth blood from about the middle of my chest to my knees. (Or maybe there was pressure in the bag/tube? Not sure now that I think about it.)

It was like someone had taken a paint brush and flicked it at me from a few feet away. So I cleaned up as best I could, but worked all morning like that before I could go home at lunch to change. I thought it was kind of funny, but the Red Cross personnel were really apologetic. I only felt bad because I didn't end up giving any blood. She wasn't allowed to put the needle back in once it came out.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm scheduled to give tomorrow, but our local organization is the Blood Bank of Delmarva, as I live in PA, but work in Delaware where my healthcare is supplied. I'm not aware they test for antibodies, but will definitely ask tomorrow! BBD had normally visited our work site several times a year, but their public locations are convenient.

Once I was rejected because my pulse was too low even though my blood pressure was fine. I guess I was working out too much. :huh:

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
It's 110lbs for adults. Not sure how long it has been that, but I've never been able to donate.
That explains. I’ve been under that much of my adult life.

Though now I’m getting old and picking up weight, I get over that sometimes.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I would hate to see your trial experience lost in the COVID-19 thread...guess I'll have to manually search for your posts.
Maybe I'll start my own thread on vaccine trial, but will first make sure it is not against their rules.
PSA: The FDA has revised the vCJD deferrals. Deferred donors previously considered at risk for BSE transmission may now be reviewed for eligibility again

Summary:
The donors previously excluded for spending time in Europe since 1980 can be re-evaluated. The list of travellers at overt risk is now specifically reduced to 3months spent in UK, Ireland, France and on certain Army bases that had gotten UK beef.
Doesn't help me as I worked at and bought beef at US base in Northern England for a year. It was grass-fed and we usually marinated it to make it more acceptable to our American palates used to grain-fed.

When researching before my previous response, I found some info on how UK blood banks handle mad cow disease/BSE that I no longer can quickly find. I think they have to accept the small risk.

When I was a donor, they used to call me to get my blood as I'm AB Positive which is “Universal Plasma” meaning it can be transfused to all patients regardless of blood type. People with AB Positive are also considered “Universal Recipients” which means that I should be able to receive blood from anyone - not that I hope to ever need it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Doesn't help me as I worked at and bought beef at US base in Northern England for a year. It was grass-fed and we usually marinated it to make it more acceptable to our American palates used to grain-fed.

Ah, too bad- it sounds like you missed out on the experience of the grass-fed steak that is pounded so thin it touches all four corners of the plate.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Started giving blood in the Navy as they gave you the rest of the day off. We called it vampire liberty. My O- is always in demand. Vermont Red Cross has pulled 56 pints from my arm since 2003. Now give the Double Red donations about three times a year. Sadly the wife's anti body test came back negative from her donation last month.

TS
T

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
ARC reports no antibodies for me.
So, I guess I won't be giving convalescent plasma to anyone.
But I plan to give blood again when my American Red Cross Blood Donor app alerts me.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
We shared a virus among our close knit daily ski posse end of February/start of March. Was hopeful that she would test positive for the antibodies. Until a vaccine or cure antibodies is the best defense IMHO.

Last edited:
TS
T

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
I know that this is just good marketing. But the reason it is good marketing is because their email objectively validates and thus subjectively rewards the value of my blood donation (without which I would have wondered "Did it just sit somewhere and 'spoil?'") Anyway, I think it is very cool:

1598994810009.png

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just donated. San Diego Blood Bank is no longer checking for antibodies to SARS-Cov-2. But they still check my cholesterol and for other diseases - an ongoing trends report if you donate frequently.

And the blood will benefit someone who needs it!

Eric

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
I used to give blood regularly, but gave it up after the Red Cross had to jab me repeatedly to get a vein. Yesterday I gave plasma--my first time for that--at Cedar-Sinai hospital, and they were good, one stick and that was it. They will test it for antibodies to SARS-Cov-2.

More notes about my experience:
-Temperature and required new mask walking into the hospital.
-At check-in, there was an extensive questionnaire on a tablet.
-At pre-screen, they checked my height, weight, iron level, blood pressure, and pulse.
-During the procedure, they monitored my blood pressure, adjusted the apheresis machine, and brought me warm blankets. Overall, multiple staffers kept a close eye on the multiple donors in the room and constantly checked up on me. I felt very taken care of.
-There was the usual snacks, water, and juice afterward in a kitchen area.
-They gave me a choice of gifts upon check-out and paid for my parking.

Last edited:

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
As noted above (#44), some regions have local blood banks, not the Red Cross. All do tremendous work.

Some locations, maybe only the traveling locations, use volunteer clerical staff. I helped with that after I donated.

If you get a chance, ask how many days supply the blood bank has on hand. It's scary...often just a couple of days depending on the blood type and upcoming surgeries like liver transplants that use a lot of blood.

Donate!

Sponsor

Staff online