• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TonyPlush

Getting off the lift
Skier
Here's a generic resort suggestion thread that may be more of a fun mental exercise than anything. Me and a buddy are throwing around the idea of a late February to March ski trip. The big catch? It's a couples ski trip.

Ability levels are as follows:
  • Me: Enjoy anything blue or black including moguls and trees.
  • Buddy: Says his last ski trip was a few years ago when he enjoyed blues and blacks at Telluride, but he's probably rusty.
  • Girlfriend 1: 100% green snowboarder.
  • Girlfriend 2: First ski trip, a true never-ever.
In light of the girlfriend situation, I'm guessing the ideal ski resort may be more about on-mountain scenery and in-town atmosphere than the skiing.

I've got the mountain collective pass, but I'm willing to go wherever.
  • Telluride and Taos have been nominated by the group.
  • I'll be in Idaho Falls, ID for work in late February, which is 30 minutes from Grand Targhee and Jackson Hole. Not sure if the beginner girls would enjoy those places though.
  • For that Idaho work trip, I'd be flying into Salt Lake City which obviously opens up Snowbird, Park City, Snowbasin, etc.
  • The girlfriend and I went to Copper Mountain last year and enjoyed it. She loved the town of Breckenridge so that's also an option.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Taos has a wonderful ski week program. Everyone can enjoy the morning with other skiers/boarders and get together for a few runs after lunch. Something for everybody.

The town of Taos is a really nice place for SW art and culture. Well worth a day or two for most visitors.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
T-ride can actually be pretty good for beginners. They'll likely want to take gondola down from mountain village to the town though. But that is free and runs late into the evening so you can use it as public transport.

Park City is great beginner hill and has Park City. If they liked Breck, they'd probably like that.

Targhee and Jackson both have some beginner terrain, but its frustrating to not see most of the mountain. A never-ever will only be able to take tram down from the top.

If Taos ski week at St. Bernard is within the fiscal realm, it will make you all better skiers and provide a sense of being together while not having to be together all the time.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Telluride and Taos look really interesting. I haven't skied there though.

I enjoyed my time in the town of Jackson, and I think most visitors would like it as well. Jackson doesn't have a tonne of very easy terrain, but have a lot of good blue runs if you think the girls will progress fast. In my experience, most athletic beginners don't stay on green runs for long.

I did one trip to Little Cottonwood. Snowbird has plenty of easy terrain, but the jump to the next level is pretty steep. It's not a great hill for gradual progression. Alta would be better, if not for the snowboard thing.

Sunshine Village in Banff is on the IKON pass. It is my recommendation for local beginners. Lots of easy terrain...high alpine environment, good scenery. The town of Banff is fun. Lake Louise's easier runs tend to be a bit icy, but if you are in the area, it is worth a look. Neither will be busy midweek.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Targhee has an awesome "beginner" area. It's serviced by its own lift, and has about 15 trails that range from very flat to easy blues. It's one of the best beginner areas I've ever seen. That being said, there's not much going on there as far as other activities besides skiing. I love the town of Driggs for that reason, but I go there to ski and sleep.

Snowbasin's beginner hill is extremely easy, and is a run out for the upper mountain, so it is crowded. The next step up is often terrifying for newbies who want to progress off of the bunny hill.

Park City would be fun for all, I think, and have abundant after-ski activities.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Well, let me tell you what not to do - because I did it 18 years ago. 4 days after getting engaged, we flew out to Whitefish for a week skiing with all my dirt bag buddies from college I had not seen in several years.. Girlfriend- fiance was a never-ever. Without really mentioning the ski "plan" to her, we showed up on first day to get her rentals, and then as I waived goodbye and headed out with 3 friends, I left her at the base with my other friend, who was working there as a L3 and happy to give a day of lessons for beer and dinner. Suffice it to say, things did not go well. And then things continued not going well for a couple of days.

The dynamic of old friends who can ski wanting to go off and have fun and a girlfriend/never-ever feeling either left out or like a anchor on an otherwise established group makes for fairly toxic relationship sauce. Now, maybe it will help that the girls have a somewhat built in group of themselves, but you never know until you get there.

So, my advice - be prepared to ski a good bit less than you think you will, and also be prepared to double your trip budget for spa visits and other diversions to ensure the girls are happy. And don't cook up any secret plans to go up high on the mountain to have fun while leaving the girls floundering by themselves.

All that said - 18 years and 3 kids later, everything is peachy. We go skiing with friends, family, etc. and she goes to the spa for several days when kids are in ski school and I'm on the hill.. She loves the mountains. But sliding around on the snow is not for her. And that's fine with both of us.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I think you need two trips: One for you to ski with your buddies, and one for you to have a fun and relationship-building time with your sweetie. Two different things. Voice of experience.

On the other hand, if you and your buddies are in terrible shape, are way overestimating your abilities, and drink too much at lunch and dinner every day (all common enough phenomena), it might work out okay.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Do Girlfriend 1 and 2 know each other? Do they like each other?

Will 1 want to ski with the never ever? Should she be expected to? While you are skiing with your friend, the girls need to be with someone. If they are not friends, that means hiring friends (lesson$). Both girls will resent you if you prefer your buddy's company to theirs, unless they are content with each other.

I would expect that Day 1, you could get some runs in with your buddy if both girls are in lessons. After that, you need to be prepared to ski with 1 or both girls and any number of various possibilities/disasters. I would suggest going somewhere that you have already been so you know the mountain well. That includes knowing stuff about accommodation options, village layout, shuttles, trail map, etc etc.

I would also suggest not setting the bar too high with where you stay - i.e. ski in ski out, etc. You don't want to spoil her immediately...unless you can afford to do so on every ski trip that follows. You can raise the bar for accommodations on the next trip to tempt her to go back if the skiing was not so fun for her.

Since you have already been to Copper and Breck with her, I'd suggest going back there.

*Note: All of these comments assume you value your relationship and will make sacrifices for it (including skiing less) to have her on your future ski trips. If not, disregard and just do a buddy trip. Way less hassle.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Personally, I'd cross Jackson & Targhee off the list. They're not that close to Idaho Falls, Targhee lacks the town, and Jackson lacks the easier terrain.

What did your girlfriend like about Breckenridge? The charming historic atmosphere? The shopping? The bustling atmosphere and hopping clubs?

If a busy town with full dance floors is important, go back to Breck or pick Park City. Or maybe Banff (need more expert opinion there).

If the cool atmosphere is important, and having fewer crowds would be a perk, Telluride is probably the standout.

Shopping in Telluride, Park City, Breck, or Banff should meet expectations.

Another alternative I'll suggest... Sundance. Close enough to the Salt Lake airport that travel should be pretty simple. Incredible scenery, and a magical Shangri-La atmosphere. The ski school has a good reputation, and the ski area's small enough that you and your buddy can learn the lay of the land if the ladies start with lessons. And most of the blue runs are relatively easy, which makes progression smoother. Enough challenging terrain to keep you and your buddy entertained (less terrain than other areas you're looking at, but should still be enough for a couples trip). Tons of activity alternatives right there... downhill, cross-country, snowshoes, zip tour, horseback rides, art workshops, galleries, live music, nature walks, spa. Great locally-sourced food and drinks. There's limited shopping and nightlife is more about drinks & conversation around the fire than hard partying. But if a laid-back artistic retreat has appeal, it can't be beat.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Sun Valley is not that far from ID Falls. If you guys like Breck you should love Ketchum.
Park City has something for everybody and a good ski town.
A nice thing with either of them is lower altitude. SV will have lighter crowds.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As a woman I can assure you that it is key that the ladies like each other or you will all have a terrible trip. Have a few double dates first to see if they hit it off. If they do - then it will go fine. Taos is a great option because they have great prices on a week of instruction. The ladies will be much more likely to experience success, and enjoy the week, if they feel good while sliding. You and your buddy will have time to explore in the mornings and go cruise and play around on easy terrain with the ladies after lunch.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January