• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Getting ready for ski season with Skier's Edge

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Normally by this time of year I already have at least a couple ski days under my belt, but mother nature has not been kind the PNW this year. This may actually be a blessing in disguise as I had a minor mountain biking accident at the beginning of September that prevented me from engaging in my usual fitness routine and my pre-season ski fit routine. Finally back in the gym but decided to also pick-up a skier's edge machine to kick start the ski-fit routine. First big ski trip is Dec 25 so I have a little over three weeks to get ready.

Curious if anyone else uses the Skier's Edge and any recommendations you have for tweaking the workout. My unit is the QS5 Big Mountain with RPM platform and natural slope. Clearly feel it working the right muscles, but curious if there are any train tips and tricks that go the extra mile.

Also looking for any thoughts on how often to change the resistance band. The one on my unit is working fine for now, but realize that this is something that will wear out.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
I recommend hitting Crystal tomorrow and hitting the boxes off Quicksilver :)
I'm not sure the 4 runs they have open with a thin crust of snow are going to do it for me. Hoping we get a nice dump this coming week so I can hit Crystal next weekend.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm not sure the 4 runs they have open with a thin crust of snow are going to do it for me. Hoping we get a nice dump this coming week so I can hit Crystal next weekend.
A lot better workout than skiers edge though.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
A lot better workout than skiers edge though.
You know I took that approach last year at Whistler and the workout was ok, but I pretty much roached my bases. That mix of man made snow and rocks was not super fun. If we get decent snow this week I will definitely hit the slopes next week, but on a daily basis I will be using the skier's edge to really work out the kinks in my muscles so that when I have my 8 day trip to Mt. Bachelor later this month I can really enjoy it. Once Alpental opens we are there every weekend as a family. In addition we also have trips planned to Big Sky, Snowmass and Sun Peaks so far … Hoping to get back to Europe this year too and will probably do a weekend in Utah. So to be clear lots of real skiing planned at lots of big mountains … but back to my original question anyone with any experience or advice using the Skier's Edge to train?

1575219399866.png

1575219657680.png

nesneros

Needs another base grind
Skier
I wasn’t sure how to demo a Skier’s Edge, and for the price I really wanted to be able to try it first. Something about it just seemed off to me. There are a handful of exercise machines out there that look cool but actually require a serious amount of control and are hard to use.

Does anyone remember Tony Little and the Gazelle machine? They look cool in videos but nobody I know who got one could do it as demoed on TV. It’s basically like putting your feet into two swings and then trying to run. Not graceful.

The Skiers edge reminded me of this, since there is no force to hold up your banking I think you’d end up jerking your legs side to side and holding yourself up with your arms, at least until you gain a lot of core control. Maybe that’s the point, it focuses on your abs so you can stay upright while you swing your legs back and forth.

May any rate, I settled on a more traditional looking machine, the Bowflex LateralX LX5, waited for a sale. It’s basically anelliptical that you can push outward with and it feels roughly like skating. It did a good job of building my stamina this year, though one thing I’d recommend is focusing on the squat position or even exercising in your ski boots to build up that bent knee stamina.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
I wasn’t sure how to demo a Skier’s Edge, and for the price I really wanted to be able to try it first. Something about it just seemed off to me. There are a handful of exercise machines out there that look cool but actually require a serious amount of control and are hard to use.

Does anyone remember Tony Little and the Gazelle machine? They look cool in videos but nobody I know who got one could do it as demoed on TV. It’s basically like putting your feet into two swings and then trying to run. Not graceful.

The Skiers edge reminded me of this, since there is no force to hold up your banking I think you’d end up jerking your legs side to side and holding yourself up with your arms, at least until you gain a lot of core control. Maybe that’s the point, it focuses on your abs so you can stay upright while you swing your legs back and forth.

May any rate, I settled on a more traditional looking machine, the Bowflex LateralX LX5, waited for a sale. It’s basically anelliptical that you can push outward with and it feels roughly like skating. It did a good job of building my stamina this year, though one thing I’d recommend is focusing on the squat position or even exercising in your ski boots to build up that bent knee stamina.
In terms of lateral movement this one has the closest ergonomic motion to actual skiing and it is used by many of the national ski teams for training. It has also been around for about 30 years so not fad item but rather a pretty specialized piece of equipment. Agree they are expensive, but I was able to buy mine used for a very reasonable price. So far it is definitely working all the right muscles but I know there are some single leg exercises and what not you can do with them, so was hoping to talk to someone who has actually used one before. If anyone who either owns one or trains on and one can provide some insight that would be great thanks.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Call the company and see if they have any recommendations. I've talked to them a few times and the reps are pretty nice.

nesneros

Needs another base grind
Skier
In terms of lateral movement this one has the closest ergonomic motion to actual skiing and it is used by many of the national ski teams for training. It has also been around for about 30 years so not fad item but rather a pretty specialized piece of equipment. Agree they are expensive, but I was able to buy mine used for a very reasonable price. So far it is definitely working all the right muscles but I know there are some single leg exercises and what not you can do with them, so was hoping to talk to someone who has actually used one before. If anyone who either owns one or trains on and one can provide some insight that would be great thanks.
It’s good to hear about someone with first hand experience. I just wish they were more accessible/available to try. Surely there are others here who have one.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
It’s good to hear about someone with first hand experience. I just wish they were more accessible/available to try. Surely there are others here who have one.
If you come through the Seattle area you can give mine a try ;-)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
We had one in the Ski School for a few years. I spent some time on it while I was recovering from a torn rotator cuff. As you can see in the video my right arm is in a sling. I was no expert on the thing but my coach Victor was. I think just getting on it is great exercise but learning to do it properly is also great training for skiing. Victor was a rep for SkiersEdge & also a World champion masters slalom racer & he swore by it. Listen to the cues he gives me on the video. I remember that he was very adamant about getting the stance width right, level shoulders and a rocksolid upper body without any sway. Practice till you can do it no hands, no poles.
This was seven years ago.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
We had one in the Ski School for a few years. I spent some time on it while I was recovering from a torn rotator cuff. As you can see in the video my right arm is in a sling. I was no expert on the thing but my coach Victor was. I think just getting on it is great exercise but learning to do it properly is also great training for skiing. Victor was a rep for SkiersEdge & also a World champion masters slalom racer & he swore by it. Listen to the cues he gives me on the video. I remember that he was very adamant about getting the stance width right, level shoulders and a rocksolid upper body without any sway. Practice till you can do it no hands, no poles.
This was seven years ago.
Thanks so much, super helpful. I have been playing with my stance a bit. Will try to get a little lower as when I do I definitely feel it more. I have been getting full extension, but think that is causing some swaying. Will try focusing more on stability and less on extension.

Did you ever use the slope simulator? I have one on my unit but have not played around with it yet.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Thanks so much, super helpful. I have been playing with my stance a bit. Will try to get a little lower as when I do I definitely feel it more. I have been getting full extension, but think that is causing some swaying. Will try focusing more on stability and less on extension.

Did you ever use the slope simulator? I have one on my unit but have not played around with it yet.
No, I do not think this one had the slope simulator it is probably an older model.
One of the important things is to have a lot of flex in your legs. Make it feel like you are pulling your feet back underneath you like a virtual bump & feel the burn. Good extension will come from really swallow it up not from pushing the feet away from you hard.
when done properly it teaches the movements of a good flex to release.
99B15282-8664-484C-9863-5CD8BC14CA68.gif

Last edited:
TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
No, I do not think this one had the slope simulator it is probably an older model.
One of the important things is to have a lot of flex in your legs. Make it feel like you are pulling your feet back underneath you like a virtual bump & feel the burn. Good extension will come from really swallow it up not from pushing the feet away from you hard.
when done properly it teaches the movements of a good flex to release.
completely agree, you almost want someone coaching you when you first use one of these :)

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

The Natural Slope (mentioned in the first post) is not the same as the Slope Simulator. The NS is just a hunk of sloped metal. The SS is adjustable with pins on the sides of each foot tray. I've been looking for a used SS for my machine for a while now with no luck. I have the Big Mountain S4 and I use it as part of my workout. I like it and IMO it's a good approximation of what my body will be doing on the slopes. I mostly consider as a way to build stamina and some muscle memory legs along with a quiet upper body.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
The Natural Slope (mentioned in the first post) is not the same as the Slope Simulator. The NS is just a hunk of sloped metal. The SS is adjustable with pins on the sides of each foot tray. I've been looking for a used SS for my machine for a while now with no luck. I have the Big Mountain S4 and I use it as part of my workout. I like it and IMO it's a good approximation of what my body will be doing on the slopes. I mostly consider as a way to build stamina and some muscle memory legs along with a quiet upper body.
Ok in that case I have the slope simulator with the pins. Will start playing with that soon.
How often do you really need to change the power bands on these? Price just went up to $340

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok in that case I have the slope simulator with the pins. Will start playing with that soon.
How often do you really need to change the power bands on these? Price just went up to $340

I think it depends on the amount of use it sees. When I bought my used machine the bands were pretty old and still gave me a couple years. I replaced them in 2017 and they're still in good shape.

Rant coming....

Skier's Edge really annoys me with their requirements for purchasing bands. I tried a couple months ago and was told my machine was too old. Here's the text:

With the launch of the new T7 and QS7 machines, we have retired the S4
machines as the parts are not being made anymore and the S4 machines are up
to 15+ years old.

You can upgrade your S4 to the T5 model and continue to receive service and
parts.

The T5 Upgrade Kit is $440.
New power bands $340.

The T5 upgrade kit is a new platform and wheels that roll along the rails. It doesn't have any impact on the bands. The band is the same so they clearly still make it and yet I can't buy it. This is just a forced upgrade, which I decided to hold off on.

When my current bands give out I'm going to have to decide whether to keep the machine and give them money or buy a used but more recent model for less money. I bought my entire machine, powder platform, poles and training bar for less than the $780 Skier's Edge wants. Plus shipping!

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
I think it depends on the amount of use it sees. When I bought my used machine the bands were pretty old and still gave me a couple years. I replaced them in 2017 and they're still in good shape.

Rant coming....

Skier's Edge really annoys me with their requirements for purchasing bands. I tried a couple months ago and was told my machine was too old. Here's the text:

With the launch of the new T7 and QS7 machines, we have retired the S4
machines as the parts are not being made anymore and the S4 machines are up
to 15+ years old.

You can upgrade your S4 to the T5 model and continue to receive service and
parts.

The T5 Upgrade Kit is $440.
New power bands $340.

The T5 upgrade kit is a new platform and wheels that roll along the rails. It doesn't have any impact on the bands. The band is the same so they clearly still make it and yet I can't buy it. This is just a forced upgrade, which I decided to hold off on.

When my current bands give out I'm going to have to decide whether to keep the machine and give them money or buy a used but more recent model for less money. I bought my entire machine, powder platform, poles and training bar for less than the $780 Skier's Edge wants. Plus shipping!
So luckily for me my machine was upgraded to the QS5, but they still want $340 ++ for the bands, and I only paid $450 for my machine. The bands are pretty old but clearly still work, so hesitant to drop that much $$ on new ones. They also will not sell me any other accessories until I buy a new band so go figure :)

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They also will not sell me any other accessories until I buy a new band so go figure
Yeah, I've always thought that this was B.S.
Also, I think that it's a really weird business model. I've been interested in buying upgrades to my T5 machine for a couple of years and they tell me the same thing - you need to buy new bands. Well, I'm not buying new bands just because they want me to. The way that I see it, they're just losing business/money by digging their heels in on the band issue.
Whatever, I love my machine anyway.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Yeah, I've always thought that this was B.S.
Also, I think that it's a really weird business model. I've been interested in buying upgrades to my T5 machine for a couple of years and they tell me the same thing - you need to buy new bands. Well, I'm not buying new bands just because they want me to. The way that I see it, they're just losing business/money by digging their heels in on the band issue.
Whatever, I love my machine anyway.
I bet you we could find a company that sells these bands generically, I highly doubt that these are manufactured just for the skier's edge, we just need the right sizing

Sponsor

Staff online