• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I have developed a couple rules over the years. Only fortune (the grace of God) saved my butt before I developed these rules.
1) Never take a blind jump. I always skim along the edge and have a look before turning down a blind cliff or rise or what ever.
2) Always pre run the course at slow speed, even if it makes me look like a wanker, and forces me to ski very slowly with side-slipping involved, unless it's not the sort of line that permits that, in which case it's observed carefully from above and below and any other vantage point I can get to before taking it at speed.

As to getting over it, it's all about what you are used to. If you haven't been skiing a lot of steep gnarly lines lately, it takes some time in them to get used to it again.

Also if your predicted line involves a jump, just land the jump first before thinking about any turns.

You are very wise. Great advice. I don't actually stop but I do slooooow down enough to see what's ahead and then I keep going. I take every first run of a trail slooooow and only when I'm comfortable with the run and it's lines do I pick up any of kind of speed. I have only been skiing 6-7 years so only recently have been getting into steep terrain. I like your outlook.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
You are very wise. Great advice. I don't actually stop but I do slooooow down enough to see what's ahead and then I keep going. I take every first run of a trail slooooow and only when I'm comfortable with the run and it's lines do I pick up any of kind of speed. I have only been skiing 6-7 years so only recently have been getting into stroke terrain. I like your outlook.
You are fortunate to have been indued with a sense of self preservation. Back in my younger days, I was known as "Fearless Frank". Looking back at some of the crazy things I did, I sometimes think "death-wish Frank" may have been more appropriate.

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
You are fortunate to have been indued with a sense of self preservation. Back in my younger days, I was known as "Fearless Frank". Looking back at some of the crazy things I did, I sometimes think "death-wish Frank" may have been more appropriate.

My guardian angels work over time, they have been since I was very young.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

As to getting over it, it's all about what you are used to. If you haven't been skiing a lot of steep gnarly lines lately, it takes some time in them to get used to it again.

Also if your predicted line involves a jump, just land the jump first before thinking about any turns.

QFT

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If in doubt, attack! If it kills you it was the wrong decision.

The point is that if you are hesitant your actions may be slow and late, problem. If you commit your abilities will usually carry you through.

One important point, understand the difference between overly cautious (see first sentence) vs foolhardy (pain). The hint, if there is still a touch of caution in your gut its good, if not well....

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe you could ask over in the Senior Skiing Tips thread how many are still launching off cornices. I would, but I'm too chicken. :)

Depends on the context. I love launching off the user-friendly cornices at A-Basin. They have a very forgiving landing zone that starts steep enough for a gentle landing and then flattens quickly. And I'm not talking big air, either, just enough to get your dander up. We had a good time teaching @Pumba last year. (Actually, @James and @Lady_Salina were aghast that I was having her go straight off. She did fine, though she was disspointed that she didn't get air.)

Another nice thing about that stretch at ABasin -- if you pick your spot and crank a quick hard turn, you can pop back up top and drop again on the same run.

Now a cornice with a sustained steep landing zone or trees you have to avoid, that is above my pay grade. I'll take the cheater entrance for those.

Sponsor

Staff online