• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TimothyD11

Booting up
Skier
Greetings everyone.

Two years ago I, as a northeast skier that tries to go out west occasionally, particularly when the snow is piling up, purchased Atomic Backland FR 109 skis for this very purpose!

But sheee***it, the size of these things are intimidating!

I've been skiing for about 9 years, mostly in the northeast, but I started going out west 5 or 6 years ago.

And in the last few years I have been intentionally waiting til the last minute to try to ride recent or ongoing snowstorms.

So my first ski to bring out west was the Nordica NRGy 100, and I have to admit the size of those intimidated me initially, being use to Salomon Rocker 2 90 skis, but it was a fairly easy transition I'd say...

But these Atomics are a whole other animal!

Do you think I'll easily "get the hang of them"?

I'm going to Schweitzer Mountain Resort in Idaho for 3 days this coming holiday weekend and I'm a little hung up on which skis to bring, but it looks like maybe these "un-christened" Atomics might finally be the logical choice!

I like easier off piste and easier tree skiing the most.

Thanks!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think it’s just a matter of skiing them enough to get used to them and you will be fine. It’s difficult to get an appreciation for a wide ski on hardpack, so I think some western snow is just the ticket to getting you the experience on these skis.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
if you are really apprehensive take a lesson. To me, Fat skis are more like a platform to stand on. keep your thighs/legs closer together, use both feet together more than separately. Relax, enjoy the slow motion skiing of deep powder- Have fun!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A 109 skis want to be, as in performs better, in the snow, not on the snow. In that application you will probably appreciate the ski more. In you ski it on hardback (east or west), it will probably wear you out and not be fun. A ski sub 100 would be a much better dailey driver with the 109 being a good choice for softer, deeper days.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
ski them on soft snow and they will be fine. as philpug stated they will wear you out on hard pack. 109 is great for a sub 12" powder day.

TS
T

TimothyD11

Booting up
Skier
Thanks everyone. I hope to be "in" snow not "on" snow except for trying to get back to the lifts. Would you say, if I can only bring one pair with me to Schweitzer I'm better off bringing the Nordica NRGy 100's or these Atomic Backland 109 skis? What would you fine ladies and gentlemen do?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Choose according to forecast, but unless it's a big new snow day, the Nrgy's.

Reactions: TPJ

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I checked the forecast. In your shoes, with the current forecast, I'd go NRGy.

Plus, you're dialed on them. They are old friends, yes?

James

Out There
Instructor
Well clearly you need to bring two.
But, if only one, maybe bring the big ones. When else are you going to ski them in the northeast this year? Could be some time the way things are going. You’ll get used to it.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'd watch the weather and make my decision on that. You are planning to ski lower angle and having skied Schweitzer it is mostly a very mellow mountain unless you go hunting off the backside. I'd go for the wider skis if it looks like they are going to have a snow dump. Schweitzer typically has lighter snow when it comes so I wouldn't hesitate on wider boards if the conditions warrant it. If limited or no snow forecast for your trip then it's an easy decision, take the skinny ones. Or if the conditions are variable take your fat boards and demo skinny ones.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
"Honey, I need to get another pair of skis..."

James

Out There
Instructor
If you're flying with one, why not two? Traveling in Europe on trains and schlepping I can understand taking just one.

bushpilot

Up Booting
Skier
I picked up these ski at the end of last season. I really love them! For hard pack and early season conditions I use other skis otherwise these are really nice in most conditions. They handle the chop and crud very well. Have lots of float and are very nimble. I take them into the bumps all the time without issue. Before I got these I had a pair of Cham 107s as my daily driver. I like these a lot better.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Automatic 109, which I believe is essentially the same ski, was my primary ski for years. A great ski.
My advise goes slightly differently -- ski them a lot at home, even when conditions are not appropriate. You want to have gotten over the "getting to know you" phase before you use them in conditions where they shine.

Sponsor