• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

val

Booting up
Skier
Hi, I hope I'm posting this in the correct place. I searched the forum and found some good info but still had a couple questions I thought maybe people here could help with.

I am planning a solo visit to SLC for 3 days (Sun - Tues, end of Feb) to ski snowbird/alta with my IKON pass. I've never skied there or been there. I'm looking to ski quality snow, off-piste, expert terrain, 6-7 hours per day.

First, just a general getting around question -- If I fly in on Saturday and rent a car, how early will I need to leave the hotel next to the SLC airport to drive and be at Snowbird on a Sunday at 8 am? Also, if the weather is bad, is it easy to catch a ski bus at the bottom of the hill?

Second -- I understand Snowbird/Alta is a big area, and since I don't know it at all, and don't want to waste too much time, I'm considering spending my first day and $195 on something they offer at Snowbird called the "Adult Mountain Experience," which is described on their website as... "For expert skiers and riders who want to explore Snowbird's world-famous terrain. Our guides will help you explore the places you won't find on the trail map. A faster-paced experience with priority lift-line privileges gives you access to more powder, more chutes, more trees, more everything." I'm thinking this could be good way to maximize time and learn my way around Snowbird with a guide on my first day, or it could be a waste of time -- my main concern is that it will move too slow. On the other hand, I could waste a lot of time trying to learn a large and unfamiliar ski area on my own and/or standing in weekend lift lines. Does anyone have any experience with the Adult Mtn Experience program? Alternatively, is Snowbird simpler than it appears on the trail map, i.e., can it be quickly learned without local guidance/knowledge? How big are the Sunday lift lines, generally? Thanks for any suggestions.

SnowbirdDevotee

Putting on skis
Skier
You would want to leave airport hotel at 7am, buf it it snows there will be slow lineup even at that hour.
I did the Mtn Experience many years ago and it was worthwhile. We skied alot of very expert stuff. They will probably do a short skills eval and then break you up into groups accordingly. I think it's a good idea. Snowbird is huge with innumerable nooks and crannies that you wouldn't fine on your own.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
I know you asked about Snowbird - but for sure check out the afternoon Off trail Workshop out of the Watson shelter at Alta:

It's a great value, and having skied Altabird for the past 8 years and still not done all of either - the paid guidance will be most worth it for you, I think. Enjoy! Really fantastic areas for Experts.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think snowbird is fairly straightforward for the new comer. Lots of fun terrain is visible from the lift, can keep you busy all day. A ride up the tram gives a good overview of the resort to see where you want to go. Alta on the other hand is a place where a mountain tour really pays off.

Travel times to the resorts in LCC are totally dependant on traffic. Start early, particularly on a powder day.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You would want to leave airport hotel at 7am, buf it it snows there will be slow lineup even at that hour.
I did the Mtn Experience many years ago and it was worthwhile. We skied alot of very expert stuff. They will probably do a short skills eval and then break you up into groups accordingly. I think it's a good idea. Snowbird is huge with innumerable nooks and crannies that you wouldn't fine on your own.

Agree, it's a great idea, but if you don't want to spend the money; there are also all the obvious expert marked runs that you can just try first by yourself.
If you're thinking of this as a lifelong place you'll be coming back to figure out; you can spend 3 days just checking off all the marked expert runs, being friendly asking for a tip on each lift ride; or spotting the big mtn ski school kids and see where they get taken. Assuming you are an expert, then you should be comfortable enough to evaluate risk and work your way down.
Only when you don't know where to go next after you're exhausted all what you can see by yourself, then the guide to show you the unmarked and secret runs will have more value to you.

Alternatively, if you think this is your one and only trip, or you're a millionaire and $195 doesn't make a difference to you; or you don't feel comfortable exploring or talking with rando people; go for the guide!

I will bring up another option, there is also a free mtn orientation tour you can take the first day. While they will stick to only blues or lower, speak up and ask the host for info as you go; they will point out more than enough expert runs for your 3days. Website says for this season it's just 1hour 9:30-10:30 everyday.

Last edited:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree, it's a great idea, but if you don't want to spend the money; there are also all the obvious expert marked runs that you can just try first by yourself.
If you're thinking of this as a lifelong place you'll be coming back to figure out; you can spend 3 days just checking off all the marked expert runs, being friendly asking for a tip on each lift ride; or spotting the big mtn ski school kids and see where they get taken. Assuming you are an expert, then you should be comfortable enough to evaluate risk and work your way down.
Only when you don't know where to go next after you're exhausted all what you can see by yourself, then the guide to show you the unmarked and secret runs will have more value to you.

Alternatively, if you think this is your one and only trip, or you're a millionaire and $195 doesn't make a difference to you; or you don't feel comfortable exploring or talking with rando people; go for the guide!

I will bring up, another option, there is also a free mtn orientation tour you can take the first day, and while they will stick to only blues or lower, speak up and ask the host for info as you go; they will point out more than enough expert runs for your 3days. Website says for this season it's just 1hour 9:30-10:30 everyday.
At Snowbird it’s at 9:30 and at 10:30.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
that makes sense. now that i think of it 1hr seems way too short to get to all the areas

TS
V

val

Booting up
Skier

Good to hear positive review from someone with first hand experience, thanks

TS
V

val

Booting up
Skier
I know you asked about Snowbird - but for sure check out the afternoon Off trail Workshop out of the Watson shelter at Alta:

It's a great value, and having skied Altabird for the past 8 years and still not done all of either - the paid guidance will be most worth it for you, I think. Enjoy! Really fantastic areas for Experts.
The Alta workshop was something else I was considering. May look further into it, thanks.

TS
V

val

Booting up
Skier
I think snowbird is fairly straightforward for the new comer. Lots of fun terrain is visible from the lift, can keep you busy all day. A ride up the tram gives a good overview of the resort to see where you want to go. Alta on the other hand is a place where a mountain tour really pays off.
Good to hear this about SB... I've wasted time at certain resorts just trying to get the lay of the land, which can be frustrating when you have limited time. Thanks.

TS
V

val

Booting up
Skier

Def not a millionaire and $195 is a big ticket item for my budget. In theory the ski guide seems like a great way to learn an area and I'm sure it would be beneficial. Either way, guided or exploring, I'm looking forward to checking out a new ski area I've heard of all my life (95% of my skiing for 50 years has been on the same mtn.) Thanks for your input.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I did that Snowbird one hour intro about 15 years ago and it was well worth the time, getting introduced to what the guide called the Bananas Trees, one of my favorite places on the mountain. When I call them that these days I generally get a blank stare, maybe because they're nowhere near the Bananas run. However, I heard that the tour now sticks to groomed runs, likely for liability reasons. I guess you get what you pay for.

On another note, I'll be staying up at the Goldminer's Daughter Feb 23-28. I plan to ski over the top to Snowbird most mornings to join a posse over there of varying size. If those dates coincide and you'd like to make a few turns with me/us, drop me a PM.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A lot of the good stuff is trees through the control gates. The problem is the gates vary a lot in how worthwhile they are. Plus in many cases the path branches right after the gate. And you probably shouldn't be going in there by yourself, anyway.

The other good stuff is the Cirque, and it is pretty obvious. Take the lower branch of the traverse. Watch for rocks exposed by traffic and wind scour. NEVER try to change lanes in the traverse --the rocks in between will eat your skis. Once you get to the Cirque, you can see the whole thing and pick your line. (I suggest starting with some of the wide spots in the middle Cirque. )

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As for the Mountain Experience, a couple of historical notes. Ancient, so probably irrelevant to you, but your question reminded me.

A friend of mine did ME in 1987. [edit - actually I think it was 1984]. They went into Mineral Basin, which was not yet part of the resort (hike out!). I did ME about 20 years ago when they called it "skiing with Loel." Loel told us that he was an instructor but he considered his primary role to be "powder guide". That was the first time I ever went into the Tiger Tail area.

Loel stopped to chew out a non-group-member who was shadowing us. The guy claimed it was a coincidence and we happened to be going the same place. "Oh, really. So you know your way around in here? In that case you go first." The guy came clean. Loel said he would get him back to marked trails and then he never wanted to see him again.

Last edited:

Mister Tea

The skier formerly known as Walt
Skier
If it's a powder day you'll want to start early. They often close LCC for avi control in the morning - not sure when exactly - maybe some of the locals can weigh in if they're willing to share. If you think you can mosey up the canyon at 8 for a 9 opening on a powder day you are mistaken. Also, weekends can be crowded.

Note that the LCC bus no longer stops at the base of the canyon, you need to board it earlier. And the further upline you get on, the more likely you are to get a seat (or even standing room).

BTW, your IKON pass works for the bus - just swipe it as you get on.

TS
V

val

Booting up
Skier
On another note, I'll be staying up at the Goldminer's Daughter Feb 23-28. I plan to ski over the top to Snowbird most mornings to join a posse over there of varying size. If those dates coincide and you'd like to make a few turns with me/us, drop me a PM.

I just changed my dates to 2/18 to 2/21 - thanks for the offer though!

TS
V

val

Booting up
Skier
If it's a powder day you'll want to start early. They often close LCC for avi control in the morning - not sure when exactly - maybe some of the locals can weigh in if they're willing to share. If you think you can mosey up the canyon at 8 for a 9 opening on a powder day you are mistaken. Also, weekends can be crowded.

Note that the LCC bus no longer stops at the base of the canyon, you need to board it earlier. And the further upline you get on, the more likely you are to get a seat (or even standing room).

BTW, your IKON pass works for the bus - just swipe it as you get on.

This is all good to know, thanks!
Out of curiosity, which mountain?

Mammoth -- the IKON pass got me thinking it was time to check out some place different.

TS
V

val

Booting up
Skier
A lot of the good stuff is trees through the control gates. The problem is the gates vary a lot in how worthwhile they are. Plus in many cases the path branches right after the gate. And you probably shouldn't be going in there by yourself, anyway.

The other good stuff is the Cirque, and it is pretty obvious. Take the lower branch of the traverse. Watch for rocks exposed by traffic and wind scour. NEVER try to change lanes in the traverse --the rocks in between will eat your skis. Once you get to the Cirque, you can see the whole thing and pick your line. (I suggest starting with some of the wide spots in the middle Cirque. )
This is great advice. I'm very concerned about rocks, I have a new pair of skis. I assume based on snowfall data that coverage is OK but there are always those sketchy zones...

TS
V

val

Booting up
Skier
Couple other questions, for anyone who might know... I understand you can ski 5 days at Alta/Snowbird with the IKON pass. Is that 5 days at both? Or if I ski both Alta and Snowbird in one day does that count as 2 days? Maybe I'm overthinking it but I noticed they have different (higher) ticket prices for the Alta/Snowbird daily tickets.

Also, do I need to do anything special or just show up with my pass and start skiing?

Finally, how time consuming is it to ski from one area to the other? Is it easy and fast, or a hassle? Thanks for all the great responses so far, very helpful for a newbie to the area.

Sponsor