• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
It's 90 degrees in Denver, so I've been building out a new ski project for the upcoming season. I'm calling it Gems in a Van -- a project to ski and camp at all of the Colorado Gems this season, and write up trip reports about them.

The goal of this project is three fold:

1. Ski a number of new mountains, and a lot of mountain I know I like
2. Focus on not just the skiing, but the travel experience with my better half and my dog.
3. Celebrate an alternative way of skiing to the mega-resorts and their respective multi-mountain passes.

None of these goals is about being a social media "influencer", getting sponsored or going pro. This is a personal project, but I also want to add some value for others, and sharing things is a good way of holding myself accountable to write.

I've been thinking about this for a while, but I've finally started making some progress. Domain name secured, Instagram account started, and--most importantly--I've been writing a bunch. Soon the editing the writing into posts will begin -- starting with some background on the project: what are the Gems, why am I doing this, what to expect from Trip Reports, and an overview of my setup. I'll be posting up trip reports here (and over at TGR) once they start rolling out.

Welcome any feedback -- especially concerning things you'd like to know about these places as I travel around.

Link to the project in my signature -- can't wait to get onto the slopes and share some local knowledge with ya'll.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Great! Are you going to update this thread when you've got new posts on the website? Or start separate trip reports?

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Great! Are you going to update this thread when you've got new posts on the website? Or start separate trip reports?

I'll be putting the posts in this thread. I have no need to drive traffic to my site and clicking through is a pain for forums users. Plus in all likelihood, pugski will outlive my website.

Probably won't take the time to link every picture as that'll get laborious, but I'll at least copy and past the text and a photo or two and provide a direct link to the whole post.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sounds like a great idea. While a picture may be worth a thousand words, too many pictures can turn a well intentioned blog into a glorified facebook dump.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wonderful idea. I think you have a good "mission statement" in your three points to focus on some unique aspects about your project: the great vibe, affordability, and fun of skiing at smaller areas, the special logistics and adventure of winter van camping, the challenge and joys of doing this with your spouse and dog. I tend to favor more photos, than less:)

You really should inform Colorado Ski Country USA about your plans. https://www.coloradoski.com/
Even if you don't desire sponsors, they could bring extra eyes to enjoy your writing and photo efforts. This is right up their alley and they may want to feature some of your posts on their website and/or blog. As you know, they've been great about promoting the Colorado Gems for many years. I assume they will offer the Gems discount card again next winter.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Wonderful idea. I think you have a good "mission statement" in your three points to focus on some unique aspects about your project: the great vibe, affordability, and fun of skiing at smaller areas, the special logistics and adventure of winter van camping, the challenge and joys of doing this with your spouse and dog. I tend to favor more photos, than less:)

You really should inform Colorado Ski Country USA about your plans. https://www.coloradoski.com/
Even if you don't desire sponsors, they could bring extra eyes to enjoy your writing and photo efforts. This is right up their alley and they may want to feature some of your posts on their website and/or blog. As you know, they've been great about promoting the Colorado Gems for many years. I assume they will offer the Gems discount card again next winter.

Thanks for putting my mission statement more nicely than I have -- really appreciate feedback like this.

I've toyed with letting Colorado Ski Country USA know -- and think I will. I'd like to get the logo done up and at least of a couple of my first few posts posted so that it presents a bit more coordinated, serious picture to them.

I confirmed with them before getting to into this idea that the Gems pass would be available this season. Not sure what changes we might see with developments like Hesperus becoming part of the Power group, but imagine it will be quite similar. Either way, my Loveland pass already covers the majority of the Gems.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
For those who aren't familiar with the Colorado Gems, a list of them can be found here: https://www.coloradoski.com/store/gems-card-2017-2018

...As I start writing trip reports, you’ll see a lot of CalTopo maps used to show ski areas, nearby camping options, and backcountry skiing recommendations. It’s an incredibly powerful tool for all kinds of adventure planning. We’ll write more about CalTopo and how to use it in a future post.

But for now — here’s an overview map of all the Gems. Try opening it up in a new tab, zooming in to a spot you’re curious about. Hover over the “USGS 7.5′” in the top right corner to reveal a bunch of layers you can toggle on/off: from satellite imagery to slope angle shading, to land management and forecasted weather....

http://gemsinavan.com/2018/07/caltopo

<iframe width="100%" height="500px" src="https://caltopo.com/m/PS8D"></iframe>

EDIT: @Philpug -- any chance we can get the ability to embed CalTopo maps on this forum? Seen it elsewhere but am not sure what it entails to setup.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Might I suggest perhaps using Hillmap in addition to (or instead of) CalTopo? Hillmaps overlays shading which helps without reading into the contour lines, and it overlays the trailmap like Google maps does. (It also includes the CalTopo slope as an overlay too.

Here's the CalTopo default view of Loveland :

upload_2018-8-6_19-48-57.png

And here's the Hillmap view :

upload_2018-8-6_19-50-25.png

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
See I read this initially as Germs in a Van. Then I realized I was wrong. Then I read the plan and thought, maybe not wrong entirely .... :roflmao:Regardless sounds like the winter of a lifetime Cheers! :beercheer:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Very nice! I did a similar thing with the Oregon Ski Safari for my 50th year of skiing, 1st year of retirement, and 60th birthday. "Every Area. Every Lift. Every Run." But it was more of a Facebook dump. You'll have a blast. https://www.facebook.com/or.ski.safari.2017/

Suggestions: Make a logo and put it on your web-page. Maybe a map of Colorado with a skier and each GEM area marked with a diamond-shaped Gem. Print it on some T-shirts to wear during your adventure. Make a calendar of your trip to show progress.

You will have a great time and a way to remember this trip forever.

Calendar-May04.JPG logo_rev16.JPG

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Suggestions: Make a logo and put it on your web-page. Maybe a map of Colorado with a skier and each GEM area marked with a diamond-shaped Gem. Print it on some T-shirts to wear during your adventure. Make a calendar of your trip to show progress.

First off -- awesome project!

Second -- already on it. I have a buddy who is digitizing the logo currently and a little additional artwork for the site.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I too will look forward to Trip Reports and hope they have pictures as well. While we are in a phase in our lives where the big multi mountain passes are of great use to us (we will do Ikon this year, maybe Epic next who Knows) there's a 3rd multi mountain option out there that interests me a lot and I think it ties in with many of your gems, The Freedom Pass. A lot of fun stuff like Plattekill, Magic, Bolton Valley + here in the east and I believe a lot of the a fore mentioned Colorado Gems along with some New Mexico places too. I think a great way for these smaller resorts to keep pace and something that I might do (similar to the OP I guess) in the future.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
A little background on the folks involved going up. Starting with yours truly, where I admit I used to snowboard.

http://gemsinavan.com/2018/09/whos-in-the-van-part-1

Snowboarding.jpg

Last edited:
TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Starting to put together a template of things every report should cover.

What am I missing? http://gemsinavan.com/2018/10/report-template

Last weekend the Gem’s kicked off their 2018-19 season, with both Arapahoe Basin and Loveland opening.

44568839_10101636560875710_1584988952522129408_n.jpg

Sunday of opening weekend at Loveland.
This means it’s time to start sketching out a template for Gems report to ensure some consistency between reports. Here’s what I’ve come up with so far:

• Background: Setting the stage, including my prior experience (or lack thereof) with the area, historic curiosities, and why I’m stoked to get there.
  • Travel: How far from Denver? Worthwhile stops along the way? Gotchas?
  • Ski experience: terrain, lifts and snow.
  • Locals: people I meet along the way from liftees, the retired dude skiing 100 days a year, to young groms
  • Crowds and logistics: I value these two enough for them to merit a separate category.
  • Lift tickets: Cost, ways to save, and what we paid. No Gem makes you pay for parking, so not need to report.
  • Food: What would a regular meal cost.
  • Beer: How guilty will you feel for buying a craft beer on hill?
  • Camping beta: how far to the nearest (free) camping? Can you park in the area’s lots?
  • Human-powered options: Uphill access policies? Backcountry gates? Nearby backcountry areas for skiing and/or snowshoeing.
  • Map: A custom map showing some of our favorite trails, backcountry tour, spots to camp, and where you should have a picnic on the hill.
What am I missing? What should be “systematically” documented that Gems excel at? Things that make or break a ski area experience for you?

I doubt most adventures will go smoothly enough to be meaningfully smashed into such a formulaic template. It’s aspirational, and a point of reference to look back on later.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe break up "Ski Experience" into three categories? I only say that because those are three of the main things I'd like to see talked about in the reports. ogsmile

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
List looks thorough. If there is a time when you are tired and don't feel like doing a full/detailed report, then just do a short one and don't feel like an abbreviated one is a bad thing. You don't want the reporting (by an unpaid volunteer) to become such a drag and that it gets in the way of your joy. I don't know how you do photos, but my strategy is to take quite of bit of them with minmal thought or set-up. Then after the day/trip is over I'll pour over a few hundred and pick the best five or ten to post with a report. This is also when I might use a photo editor to crop or enhance them.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Let us know how we can help.

Sponsor