• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear left behind...

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I lost a gf.... Mammoth...18 inches overnight...I was supposed to teach her to ski but instead left for first run and told her to take a shuttle and get a lesson. Geez...I would have paid for it. Can't have everything.

She did get a lesson -- there are no friends on a powder day. A good lesson to learn early!

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I lost a ski at Alta, 1990. I was doing laps on the Sugarloaf lift in a lot of falling snow, the morning before we flew out. Group of about 8 guys. I had taken the powder straps off the skis {dumb}. I threw the shoe, and like an idiot kept skiing on one ski, and came to a stop. No clue where the ski was. I was trailing the group at the time. I climbed, looked around, dug a bit. They looped back around, and I told them to keep skiing. Next lap a couple of guys joined in the search. Flew home with one ski. AND, three months later, I got a call from Alta. Ski found. No damage, other than some rust forming on the edges. Ski picked up by SLC friend, and mailed back to me. All good. 207cm Volkl Zebra's.

When I was about 8, old enough to ride the old single chair at Mansfield, I dropped a mitten in a snow storm. My mother gave me one of hers, and my dad and I skied down to retrieve mine while she grabbed a coffee, I presume in the Octagon. Looked for quite a while. No success. As we skied down, the wind had really picked up. Lift closed. We hung out in the base lodge. Mom arrived with a pair of gloves that a patrolman had lent her. I gave her her mittens, she returned the gloves to the patrol desk, with a $10 bill and note tucked inside {this was 1962}. And I got some new gloves. Much cooler than the mittens.

My son was on a trip to race in British Columbia. Pretty big group, 15 passenger rental van, driving from Alberta. Snowing hard. They had skis loaded in the van on the floor, and as many duffel bags as the could fit in it. All of my son's stuff was in the van. Probably five duffel bags on the roof, tied down to the rack. They stop for gas after a few hours on the road. Rack has ripped off the roof, and it and bags are GONE. They had heard banging, then it got quiet, and just kept driving…..assumed it was the wind, etc. Bags were never found. In those bags were a ton of stuff. The average guy had ALL of his clothes, including speed suits, protective gear, in some cases gloves, goggles, helmets…..the works. One guy had his boots packed in there. Rack was held on, it appeared, with aluminum sheet metal screws.

I also "lost" an evidently precious piece of clothing, by selling it on that other forum without checking with my now adult son. Check @Bill Talbot's avatar pic. Yep. My son is on snow about 300 days a year, serious race coach. Two years ago he asked me if I still had the Degre 7 pullover that I used to wear when he learned to ski, as he'd really like it. We have a pic somewhere of us both in the starting gate in his first ever ski race, a parent child dual SL. He was four. I'm wearing that anorak. Would mean a lot to him, he told me. When I came clean, it didn't go so well. I had outgrown it. BTEW have since lost 50 lbs. Luckily he didn't know about the Moriarty hat that I had made to coordinate with it, which has also appeared in pics on here!. He's not the sentimental type. Oops! Now I know to check with he and his sister on everything. I almost died when I saw that pic! Epic{pun intended} Fail. I've told Bill that if he ever has a change of heart…….dial my number!

Have never lost gloves on the roof…..yet!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Age 14. Brand new Hotfingers, day after Christmas when I got them. Left them on the table to save my spot then when I arrived with my lunch they were gone. They had rope to guards on them. It was VERY cold that day. I parked a chair at the lodge entrance and waited. Sure enough, about an hour later a kid and his friends are walking in with the exact same glove style, but no rope tow guards. I said they looked like sweet gloves could I see them for a minute. They got evasive and we started shouting and we were about to fight. A resort manager showed up to resolve the dispute. I explained that my gloves were stolen, just like the ones that the kid had. Then I added that I had put cotton balls in the finger tips because they were too big. The manager asked to see one of the gloves then proceeded to extract a cotton ball. I got my gloves back and they got kicked out. True story! I'm pretty luck with stuff like this. I never got back the rope tow guards, had to buy replacements for that.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Let's see...lost a bottle of scotch. It was on a bus trip from San Diego to Mammoth with a bunch of friends, like 40 of them. It just slipped out of my hand when someone bumped into me. Nice thing is I had another.

I lost a gf.... Mammoth...18 inches overnight...I was supposed to teach her to ski but instead left for first run and told her to take a shuttle and get a lesson. Geez...I would have paid for it. Can't have everything.
I respect a man with priorities.. and that she falls under the title here of "Gear". :duck:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I almost lost my poles. Back when he was in high school I took my son and 3 of his friends skiing. At the end of the day I pulled up and they loaded everything in the roof box.
"Did you get everything? "
One of the kids "yep, let's go."
Fortunately something told me to check. (Maybe it was because that same kid had lost his cell phone earlier that day.)

Sure enough, my poles were still leaning against the rack.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I actually used a pair of gloves that someone had obviously left on their car roof by accident, I used them for years, lol. We were leaving Loveland, driving down that access road to I70 next to Loveland Valley, and I saw one glove by the side of the road. About 50 yd later I saw the other, so we pulled over and picked it up, circled back, and got the first one. You'd think I grew up dirt poor or something, I don't know why I was so tickled about finding them. And using them, ew!

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
As are you..I recall you snapping a ski on Goat.

Ah, but I didn't leave the broken pieces behind. We carried down the wreckage. :rolleyes:

I remember that day very well, I was a pall bearer for Kevin's ski. Phil and I both fell on Goat that run, it's amazing we didn't leave pieces of our busted butts.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier

Totally worth it. Like if she'd really loved you she would have known that a big pow day is more important than trifling togetherness.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Let's see...lost a bottle of scotch. It was on a bus trip from San Diego to Mammoth with a bunch of friends, like 40 of them. It just slipped out of my hand when someone bumped into me. Nice thing is I had another.

She did get a lesson -- there are no friends on a powder day. A good lesson to learn early!
Truer words were never spoken.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Took ski boots off at Jack Frost and left them there 30 years ago. Called Lost & Found -they know nothing
so I drove back (200mi) the next weekend. They were still there on top of a locker where I left them !

At Schweizer I drove away while the ski poles were on the roof of the rental car. First noticed at Spokane
2 hours before my flight home. Got an unexpected work trip to Coeur d'Alene a month later. Went to Schweizer.
The Lost & Found guy had them !:eek: He leaped for joy saying "You made my day" only 3 people all year had
found any stuff

Not ski related but we were leaving baggage claim in Tokyo carrying a weird long GPS antenna. Excited baggage
guy runs up to us carrying an Identical antenna. Guys from my office had left it there a month ago !

Won't even go to countless small stuff left everywhere.:roflmao:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Face planted on a double black run near base of River Run at Sun Valley. Lost prescription eye glasses.
Went to look and found run closed. Asked ski patrol if I could ski the closed run to look for them. NO
was the quick answer. I noticed the other patrollers were laughing their heads off. They pointed
to a news clipping on the wall with a photo of a bear just out of hibernation chasing the guy I was talking with down the hill!
The bears den was 30 feet from my glasses and he was ready to awake ! Never got the glasses.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Funny ! I'd bet one of the 40 friends found a way to snatch it away !

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I respect a man with priorities.. and that she falls under the title here of "Gear". :duck:

Totally worth it. Like if she'd really loved you she would have known that a big pow day is more important than trifling togetherness.

Truer words were never spoken.

Man… was this ever the right place to tell that story. Until now I was nothing but a dick for doing it. This crowd gets it. I can't really remember what she looked like anymore but I sure can remember those turns

I feel cleansed.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Man… was this ever the right place to tell that story. Until now I was nothing but a dick for doing it. This crowd gets it. I can't really remember what she looked like anymore but I sure can remember those turns

I feel cleansed.
You are amongst your peeps. We understand.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Took ski boots off at Jack Frost and left them there 30 years ago. Called Lost & Found -they know nothing
so I drove back (200mi) the next weekend. They were still there on top of a locker where I left them !

At Schweizer I drove away while the ski poles were on the roof of the rental car. First noticed at Spokane
2 hours before my flight home. Got an unexpected work trip to Coeur d'Alene a month later. Went to Schweizer.
The Lost & Found guy had them !:eek: He leaped for joy saying "You made my day" only 3 people all year had
found any stuff

Not ski related but we were leaving baggage claim in Tokyo carrying a weird long GPS antenna. Excited baggage
guy runs up to us carrying an Identical antenna. Guys from my office had left it there a month ago !

Won't even go to countless small stuff left everywhere.:roflmao:

You could start your own forum with your tales!

Sponsor