• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gathermeister was down and is now back! (updated title)

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Best wishes on a good recovery Louie. It was a pleasure meeting you this year. Look forward to seeing you next year!

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Hey Uncle Louie
Gidday mate from New Zealand
Sorry to hear about your injury. I'm sure that with the awesome positive attitude that you exuded when I met you at Jackson Hole ,you will have a complete recovery and be back to full health in no time.
Kia Kaha (Stay strong)
AKA John

WOW ! Been awhile hasn't it!

Funny connection to the story. The patrolman who immobilized my neck was from your homeland. As he explained what he was doing I recognized the (non) accent and gave him big "gidday mate". He responded as clearly as he could "good morning" in our native language here. We both had a great laugh over it, but I suspect it hurt me more than him to let out the laugh. The down under sense of humor and accent (as we hear it) is priceless.

Jackson comes up in the new Gathering rotation in a few years. It would be nice to see you out again !

Great to be getting well wishes from all of you here, thank you! Some I haven't met, some I met briefly, some I've skied with. I got robbed on this trip. There was a bunch of you I wanted to meet. Glad I got around the room early Sunday to shake a few hands. That took the disappointment out of the shortened trip for me.

Phil has commented more than once this place has a sense of community and he's right. From out of the blue John, a guy I only skied with a few days at Jackson 3 years ago sends me well wishes from across the world. That's what these Gatherings create. "Good on Ya Mate".

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Okay, repeat after me: "I WILL NOT TAKE MY BRACE OFF AND I WILL NOT DRIVE UNTIL THE DOC SAYS IT'S OKAY. NO MATTER WHAT."
If we need to, we'll send @SkiNurse to have a chat with him.
She was super patient after her injury last year. I am not sure I'd have had her patience, but she did it and is rewarded this season.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
She was super patient after her injury last year. I am not sure I'd have had her patience, but she did it and is rewarded this season.
:hug:

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier

Tricia, you are a little late on the idea if PMs count. I sent a few to @SkiNurse when she had her mishap urging her to not overdue it. Early winter we agreed to ski a few runs at The Gathering as we hadn't been on the hill together for several years. In turn she sent me a few PMs already wishing me a successful recovery following my mishap 2 weeks ago. I suspect she will be checking in with me via PM over the summer months.

I'll be two weeks away from full recovery when the Mother's Day event happens, so that's out. So I'm guessing it's just going to be another year before we get out on the hill together, but I'm pretty sure it's still in the plan.

TS
SugarCube

SugarCube

Out on the slopes
Skier
UL got another good report today from the spine surgeon. No "disruption" in the vertebrae (I hate it when they get disruptive!) and healing is progressing. Next visit: 2 weeks: yay!

Doc recommended UL limit his "screen" time (e.g. computer, tv, etc.) to help the concussion recovery, so if you don't see him as frequently here, that's why. He's sure with you in spirit if not online.

Thanks for the continued well-wishes--it means the world to him!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
UL got another good report today from the spine surgeon. No "disruption" in the vertebrae (I hate it when they get disruptive!) and healing is progressing. Next visit: 2 weeks: yay!

Doc recommended UL limit his "screen" time (e.g. computer, tv, etc.) to help the concussion recovery, so if you don't see him as frequently here, that's why. He's sure with you in spirit if not online.

Thanks for the continued well-wishes--it means the world to him!
:yeah:

TS
SugarCube

SugarCube

Out on the slopes
Skier
Friday the 13th: good or bad luck today?

The x-rays continue to show excellent progress. Another CT-scan next week should reveal more. The best news: UL can remove the brace in the evenings and even sleep brace-free. That's as much a mental victory as it is a physical one.

He continues to fight residual effects from the concussion and needs to keep off the computer as much as possible. He still can't drive, so I remain Uber-Cube for the foreseeable future. He'll probably be in the brace at least another month. Nothing we can't manage.

Fingers crossed for a beautiful CT-scan and rock-solid vertebrae!

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Friday the 13th: good or bad luck today?

The x-rays continue to show excellent progress. Another CT-scan next week should reveal more. The best news: UL can remove the brace in the evenings and even sleep brace-free. That's as much a mental victory as it is a physical one.

He continues to fight residual effects from the concussion and needs to keep off the computer as much as possible. He still can't drive, so I remain Uber-Cube for the foreseeable future. He'll probably be in the brace at least another month. Nothing we can't manage.

Fingers crossed for a beautiful CT-scan and rock-solid vertebrae!

So how did things go at the CT-scan?

TS
SugarCube

SugarCube

Out on the slopes
Skier
So how did things go at the CT-scan?

Getting the darn thing scheduled was, to say the least, a challenge. We go tomorrow morning and get the results Thursday afternoon.

UL's also developed an odd pain in his right upper arm so we're going to get a few pictures of that while we're at the hospital. Not sure if it's a bone bruise, hairline fracture in the humerus, or something else that may have gotten jammed from the fall's impact. He never put his arms out to break his fall (his face did that), so we wonder if maybe his ski pole rammed into his arm. No idea, it's just good that UL is so photogenic! ;)

He's getting better (and has a raging case of cabin fever as he still can't drive). We did trek down to see Gary and Candy this past weekend to pick up UL's skis. Thanks again, Gary, for bringing those back to KY for us. It was such a help!
The concussion's going to take time. UL appreciates your thoughts and good vibes so much, and so do I. :hug:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
UL's also developed an odd pain in his right upper arm so we're going to get a few pictures of that while we're at the hospital. Not sure if it's a bone bruise, hairline fracture in the humerus, or something else that may have gotten jammed from the fall's impact. He never put his arms out to break his fall (his face did that), so we wonder if maybe his ski pole rammed into his arm.

Here's hoping it's easy to find and not fussy to fix.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Continuing thoughts and hopes for Uncle Louie! I hope his brain can tolerate some entertainment; I would certainly go nuts stuck at home without using the internet, reading, or movies. Is he past that stage?

TS
SugarCube

SugarCube

Out on the slopes
Skier
Continuing thoughts and hopes for Uncle Louie! I hope his brain can tolerate some entertainment; I would certainly go nuts stuck at home without using the internet, reading, or movies. Is he past that stage?

Not entirely. Minimizing screen time keeps the brain quiet and facilitates healing. He's online a little bit to check email but tries to minimize all screen time (except "Survivor" and Penguins hockey!). Priority one remains "get healthy!"

Sponsor

Staff online